//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New here with a 225 dx project

--

New here with a 225 dx project

Hi guys i'm new to the atc scene i have bought what i believe to be a 225 dx there are no marking or decals on it from what i can tell. i recently purchased this a fun little project. the problems with it are besides being a little beat up, is that the electrical is cut up, and the carb is not original .

My plans are.
    • getting the carb tuned good or replaced
    • new tires
    • quieter silencer
    • getting the wiring figured out
    • new grips and some cleaning and paint
    • new rear grab bar
    • and maybe rear suspension upgrade as it feels really worn out

here are some pics of it as well as some compared to my blaster

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-13.JPG 
Views:	983 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	199203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-12.JPG 
Views:	1021 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	199204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-11.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	199205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-10.JPG 
Views:	733 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	199206
    Yamaha 225 Dx
    Yamaha Blaster 200

--
    Welcome. The 225's make nice trail trikes. Pretty decent power. It looks like you have some work ahead of you, but I think you'll be happy with it in the end.

--
    welcome, are you a member of baster forum too? im known as bored'n'stretched over there, im a well of blaster knowledge
    not too bad of a dx, most are either in this condition or near mint. it needs some love obviously, glad it found a good home!

if you need help, parts or both for the dx or blaster I can help. also as a heads up, lots of blaster stuff directly swaps to the dx as an upgrade! (front brakes, rear disk, hubs/rims, bars, rear shock)
    ive got a oem mikuni carb, minus top cap/slide, for a dx. id let it go for $20 shipped.
    also I make custom wiring harnesses if yours is beyond repair and spliced up, all youd have to do is send me yours (provided all the plugs are there) and I can rewire the harness with new wire and solid solder joints at the plug pins for around $60, its about 4-5hrs of work.
    2000 Yamaha blaster-206cc drag bike!
    1984 Honda 200x-curtis sparks race engine!
    1990 Suzuki lt250s #587 of only 10,000 imported.
    1984 Yamaha dx225
    1980 Honda us90
    1982 Yamaha yt125
    1983 Yamaha yt175
    2010 Honda crf50
    2000 Kawasaki kdx50

--
    Welcome to the site..
    Current Trikes
    2 1985 Honda 250sx
    1985 Big Red
    2 1983 YTM 200k's. 1 for parts.
    KLT 250 Prairie
    1982 Honda 185 - Waiting to be saved
    1985 125m Parts Machine

Still on the hunt for a 1986 350x and 250r.

brd812 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Welcome to the boards. Great trail trke, easy to work on for the most part. Good luck with the electricial when PO'ers start play with it, it can gooooo down hill fast. Its a tough lil motor and muffler won't be that hard to adapted.
    "If you are going to piss like puppy, Don't Get Off The Porch"
    Trikes:
    84' Suzuki ALT185 (old Orange)
    85' Yamaha 225DX, piped and spaced ( First Girlfriend)
    Quads
    87' Yamaha Banshee, built and very very fast (The Whore)
    01 Yamaha Raptor 660, built and piped (The Beast)
    03 Suzuki Vinson, 26's and piped (The Crowd Pleaser)
    Once apon a time:
    85' Tecate 300 alky flattacker, 6 in over swingarm, 88 Suzuki 500"Quadzilla"PIA , 91 Yamaha Warrior Built and Modded. (luved that Baby Tank)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by wide'n'low View Post
    welcome, are you a member of baster forum too? im known as bored'n'stretched over there, im a well of blaster knowledge
    not too bad of a dx, most are either in this condition or near mint. it needs some love obviously, glad it found a good home!

if you need help, parts or both for the dx or blaster I can help. also as a heads up, lots of blaster stuff directly swaps to the dx as an upgrade! (front brakes, rear disk, hubs/rims, bars, rear shock)
    ive got a oem mikuni carb, minus top cap/slide, for a dx. id let it go for $20 shipped.
    also I make custom wiring harnesses if yours is beyond repair and spliced up, all youd have to do is send me yours (provided all the plugs are there) and I can rewire the harness with new wire and solid solder joints at the plug pins for around $60, its about 4-5hrs of work.
    Thanks wide'n'low! seems like you are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to a 225dx I look forward getting help from you. I'm currently not a member on the blaster form yet, but i may certainly join.

As for now I'm currently trying to get it running correctlyand take it out for a ride before I decide if its worth dumping more money into. it seems to have a keihin carb on it. I was able to get it running & tuned for a couple of days but it seems like bad gas may have clogged some stuff up. I will certainly keep that carburetor you are selling in mind as I would like the choke to work from the handle bars like oem.

I was wondering how much of an improvement is a blaster shock over the 225dx shock?
    Yamaha 225 Dx
    Yamaha Blaster 200

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Welcome. The 225's make nice trail trikes. Pretty decent power. It looks like you have some work ahead of you, but I think you'll be happy with it in the end.
    Thanks 350for350
    I'm new to 4 stokes and it certainly does have some low end power.
    Yamaha 225 Dx
    Yamaha Blaster 200

--
    Quote Originally Posted by brd812 View Post
    Welcome to the boards. Great trail trke, easy to work on for the most part. Good luck with the electricial when PO'ers start play with it, it can gooooo down hill fast. Its a tough lil motor and muffler won't be that hard to adapted.
    thanks! and yeah I'm still tying to figure out why they would cut so much of it off, and for what reason. lol
    Yamaha 225 Dx
    Yamaha Blaster 200

--
    the blaster shock is a world of difference, like going from a cavalier to a Cadillac.
    FYI a lt250s, ltz400 and 400ex shock fit too!
    plus nearly all timberwolf250 parts are the same as dx parts.

the carb should be a mikuni.....that keihin carb is definitely not stock.
    I just put a full rebuild kit into the dx/timberwolf carb I mentioned. so I have it as a spare, if I don't sell it.
    2000 Yamaha blaster-206cc drag bike!
    1984 Honda 200x-curtis sparks race engine!
    1990 Suzuki lt250s #587 of only 10,000 imported.
    1984 Yamaha dx225
    1980 Honda us90
    1982 Yamaha yt125
    1983 Yamaha yt175
    2010 Honda crf50
    2000 Kawasaki kdx50

--
    Yeah, looks like I found a good web site. This is my first motorcycle build; done plenty of car / truck engines. Whats this 250 Timberwolf or Bear Tracker cylinder head swap about, on the YTM 225DX? Is it more flow--Less compression? Only going to tear it down once--Want to know what up-grades are available? Is everything inter-changable?

--
    Ok here's my experience. There's not really a big power gain. Despite what Yamaha calls them, you're only going up 6cc's in displacement (from 223 to 229). I did this swap because my cylinder had enough wear that it would have needed to be sleeved and the '95 Timberwolf engine with the bad case was free. The heads, exhausts, intakes, and carbs will all interchange. The only other thing that I had to buy was the cam chain tensioner. The one for my YTM wouldn't work. It put too much tension on the chain and I couldn't tighten the bolts up all the way. I have done no research into this and there is the possibility that they will interchange and that maybe someone put the wrong one on my YTM in the past. I did have to change the main jet from the stock (112 I think) to a 115. I don't think that there is really difference in the heads.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //