//ArrowChat Code

Thread: The six million dollar 350x

--

The six million dollar 350x

It's been forever since I've been here, the reason is I've been spending all my time and money resto moding my 350x.

I got a ton of questions because I'm wrapping it up. Everything and I mean everything on the trike has been replaced. Some things a couple times.

My question is this, my new motor has 12:1 weisco piston in it. And it is an absolute nightmare to kick. Entire motor has been gone through. I'm on my 3rd motor for this resto project. I bought a goki ele starter. I have heard these are weak and won't turn over a high compression motor. Do any of you guys with the big bore trikes have this starter. I bought mine new from goki a couple months back. If you want specifics on current motor set up I'll be happy to provide. I might not have my decompression cable adjusted right cause it just seems like it's not working. Adjust it to tight and it chatters on the cam, and even then it does seem any easier to kick over. I had a buddy of mine an atv mechanic come over and adjust the cable too no difference. If someone knows the parts involved that make this operate I would love a walk through.
    As I am sure that if the cable isn't working properly then the weak starter certainły won't turn it over. Very frustrated!!

Also if someone can tell me how to post pics of the resto/mod I'll be happy to share if anyone is interested.

Thanks
    Big D

--
    I have a high comp piston in my 350x with a goki starter. Works fine. You have to get to decomp to work right or the goki won't work. If it's chattering on the cam you are close, back it of just enough so it 's not hitting the cam when the engine is running. Next , you have to make sure the kick starter is in the right position when you hit the starter button. The decomp has to be open before you hit the button. Also, you have to use the battery that is in the instructions, it's a big one, the smaller ones don't have the cranking amps that you need.

I ended up re-routing the whole decomp thing so i now have a lever on the handlebars to operate it. I also changed my run/off / headlight switch to 400ex switch that has a stater button. The button they give you in the goki kit works, but it looks silly and doesn't mount in a user friendly spot.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    If the cable isn't adjusted correctly, it's a pain to kick over as you know. I have a xl500 that is adjusted correctly and it kicks over great. I have a service manual that covers the 350-500 honda motors and it does have the procedure for the decomp cable adjustment. I'm sure you can find it online or someone here can get that info quicker than I can. Good luck.
    78' 90
    80' XL500s
    85 200x

--
    I like to use a host site like photobucket. Then just copy and paste the links in your text and wahla nice big pics. You can load them right here but never had great results.

--
    Do a search here for oscarmeyer. He has a site that you can download a full service manual for the 350x.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    I have the factory honda service manual that covers 85-86 atc 350x is that what your talking about. If so I have followed the decompression chapter to the letter and no luck. Seems to me the cable may stretch pretty easy I have bought 2 used ones. Does anyone know where I can get a new one?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddys 350x View Post
    I have the factory honda service manual that covers 85-86 atc 350x is that what your talking about. If so I have followed the decompression chapter to the letter and no luck. Seems to me the cable may stretch pretty easy I have bought 2 used ones. Does anyone know where I can get a new one?
    http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/lo...HA5FE14HA5F01A

Part number 13 in the microfiche and honda part number 28291-HA7-671. Retails for $16.65
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I don't think stretching is your problem. Check to make sure you have movement on the arm above the kick starter when the kicker goes down. They get put together wrong, and/or get broken when re installing the right side cover.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    I have tried the goki on 2 motors one stk comp and the other 12:1 same problem the starter armature ends up bending because of lack of support at the end of the armature. The best things I have found for starting is adjusting decomp cable and changing the carb to something with an accelerator pump.

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I also have a small lever on the bars to run my decomp. Just a LOT easier IMO than fighting with it. It works on my 500's and works on the 350. Also easier to find TDC without the decomp opening and closing as you roll it over.

As far as pictures,,, I use either tapatalk or photobucket to host my pics.
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    There's is a few things about the Goki's. You MUST have a properly working decomp system or you will just destroy them. And what people don't realize is that the Gokis for the '85 and '86 are NOT interchangable, they are different. They will "fit" on both years but if you put the wrong one in the wrong year it won't last long. Depending on how you have them switched they will either tear up the ring gear (witch are way too soft to begin with) or they will tear up the armature. It all has to do with the "meshing" of the starter gear and the ring gear. They have to be set up just like a rear end in a car. Too much preload and the starter goes. Not enough preload and the ring gear goes.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //