//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum and 3 wheelers

--

New to the forum and 3 wheelers

Hey guys, I'm James. I just bought a 1985 Honda Big Red 250es, it's my first 3 wheeler. I traded it for my Dodge Caravan, and realize now that I got the raw end of the deal. But I'm making the best of it. It's completely bare, it literally has what it needs to run, and that's it. No lights, no rear plastic, no airbox, battery, ignition, etc. The brakes don't work and both the hand brake cables are froze. It's a big mess, but I just ordered a ton of new parts. Carburetor, brake lever, cable, fuel petcock, and rear brakes. I plan on getting it rideable, then worrying about the looks of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140813_141447.jpeg 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	199779

--
    Welcome to the forum! Don't let the feeling of getting burned detour you from fixing up your Big Red. It may take a little $$, but the end result will lead to a ton of fun

--
    welcome to 3ww
    73 atc 70
    84 ytm 200ern
    79 atc 70
    ytm 225 dr
    atc 90
    80 atc 110
    klt 250A
    84 atc 200es
    85 atc 250es

gone but not forgotten restored 82 atc 70

--
    I think you did all right. Of course I'm not a fan of Dodges or mini vans so I guess my opinion is kind of biased. To each their own. Welcome.

--
    Thanks guys. I'm really excited about finally getting a 3 wheeler, and I can't wait to get it running right.
    I've always loved dodges, and it was a 1989 Dodge Caravan with the turbo 2.5. I've always liked oddball things, hence a turbo minivan.

--
    I finally got back from my trip to Atlanta, and I was able to do some work to Big Red. I got the new carb installed, along with fuel petcock, brakes, cables, etc... I've ordered a new choke cable and brake lever perch, and that's most the missing parts. Next is to a shop to get some oil leaks and trans issues resolved. I went today and got ITP rims and some used tires, since the original balloon tires were shot and the rims were rusted out. Is the front rim the same as the rears? The shop told me it was different, and I was out of luck as far as having matching rims. It looks alot like the rears though.

--
    welcome to the site
    Current Trikes
    2 1985 Honda 250sx
    1985 Big Red
    2 1983 YTM 200k's. 1 for parts.
    KLT 250 Prairie
    1982 Honda 185 - Waiting to be saved
    1985 125m Parts Machine

Still on the hunt for a 1986 350x and 250r.

--
    Good luck man any 250es is a steal!!

--
    The 250es front and rear rims are the same part number. Here is a great site to reference for interchangeable parts.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...HA0-000ZA.html

Once you get the big red in good enough shape to ride, you will love it.

JesseA420 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    welcome to 3ww

--
    Welcome! Lots of good info on this site!

--

Name:	20141022_191049.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	203363

Name:	20141022_191230.jpeg 
Views:	315 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	203364
    So I've had this thing sitting out behind the garage for near 2 months. The shifter shaft broke, so I was unable to change gears. Kinda scary when you're way back in the woods far away from your car, stuck at a standstill in 3rd gear. Anyways, I couldn't justify the 500$ the shop quoted to fix it, so I finally decide to try fixing it myself. I've got the new shaft in, and the gasket maker is sealing on the case now. Tomorrow, I'll bolt the new shifter on, change the oil, and hopefully it'll be ready to go.
    On a side note, how does the front tire come off? I'm trying to change the front brake, and I took the plate off the right side, but now I'm stuck. Do I take the lugs off and the whole everything just comes apart?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rippen11 View Post
    I'm trying to change the front brake, and I took the plate off the right side, but now I'm stuck. Do I take the lugs off and the whole everything just comes apart?
    Let the air out of the tire, then the axle, tire and all should pivot away from the fork where you removed the plate. Then you can remove the wheel.

After that, I recommend removing the axle over trying to get those 2 Phillips screws on the drum out, if they are rusted up. The axle is like a 17mm socket (If I remember right) and just unscrews like a huge bolt. I stripped one of those little screw heads in the drum housing and found it was so much easier to just unscrew the axle out and set it aside, it gives you access to the brakes all the same, and I don't have to drill out screws.
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES "Big Red" (Photo Album)

Other ATC's in the family:
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX ~ 1984 Honda ATC 200ES "Big Red" ~ 1983 Honda ATC 185S

--
    Make sure and put plenty of grease in the hub so the axle doesn't get seized. You can never use enough grease on anything with threads. Make sure and inspect the rear differential and wheel bearings. Those 85's are notorious for taking on water. Welcome to the site, make sure and post pics.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Well, I finally got it finished. I've put an outrageous amount of money into this thing, but it's rideable now. When I first got it, it had the bare essentials. No brakes, lights, plastics (save for the front fender), etc. It barely ran, as well. Now, I've put close to 500$ into it, not including the van I traded for it. I've replaced every cable except for the throttle cable and reverse lockout. Somebody had recently changed the throttle cable, but put it on backwards. Anyways, here's a list of everything I've done to it so far.

-New brake cables, front and rear
    -New shifter
    -New shift shaft
    -Rear brakes
    -Front Brakes
    -Front brake lever and perch
    -Changed diff fluid
    -Changed oil & filter
    -New carb
    -New fuel petcock
    -New rear rims & tires

And soon to be done (Hopefully)
    -Airbox (suggestions?)
    -Rear plastics
    -Lights

Also, the gas tank is plastic. I've heard the 85's had metal tanks. A friend of a friend told me it was a Clarke oversized tank. Thoughts on this?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //