//ArrowChat Code

Thread: swing arm questions

--

swing arm questions

the driveshaft boot on my bigred is ripped open.has been for years,

since the fire,its the perfect time to tear into there and replace it.

questions,

how is one to release the swing arm?

i know there is a large bolt i guess? we remove the plastic covers.those havent been remove in years.there all rusted up.

how do i get it lose?

what is in the swing arm? is there bearings,springs, or what?

thanks for any help

--
    First of all, you can replace the boot without taking the swingarm loose. The propeller shaft is spring loaded. Push it back off of the engine shaft. Slide the boot past the propeller shaft on to the swingarm. With help from a helper, push the propeller shaft back and back on to the engine shaft. Be sure it seats on the engine shaft all the way forward. Secure the boot. Not too difficult but having a helper does make it easier.

If you want to do it by way of removing the swingarm, then you will need a 50.00 tool to do it the right way. You will also need a swingarm bearing kit. Doing it this way does give you the opportunity to clean up and lube the propeller shaft. Using the swingarm tool is best done with a 1/2 impact. If the locking ring and bolt are corroded like you say, then the impact is the way to break it loose, especially the locking ring.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-4-Whee...8fba42&vxp=mtr

One end is for the locking ring, the other for the pivot bolt.

If you do the swingarm bearings, clean the races that are set in the frame. If they aren't cracked or damaged, you can leave them in. Just replace the bearings and seals. Use Marine Grease when packing the bearings.

--
    thanks flyingw

other question.

if we can get the bolts lose will the swing arm just drop out? or do we have to do anything else?

--
    No, it has to come out on an angle; If you want to inspect the bearings and seals. If it has good fluid and no play, just change the boot...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    ok thanks.

is anything holding the bearings in? or will they fall out when we take the bolts out?

--
    hey guys.

can anyone tell me if there is a seal in the swingarm? around the driveshaft?

we just opened the fill cap for the rear end and it was dry :

and we cant figure out where the oil went.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //