//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1st Trike! 1982 Honda 250R Mega Pics and Videos

MPDano is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

My 1st Trike! 1982 Honda 250R Mega Pics and Videos

Well, I pulled trigger and got my first Trike. I felt like like I got a great deal and since it has carb issues, I was able to negotiate further. I already knew it was a stuck float. He he.

I just removed the carb today after work and gave it a good cleaning of all the jets and especially the float plunger. Well, she's a runner now. My yard only allows me to get into 1st gear but at least I know the clutch is good and the tranny sounds good. Drove it around the yard for about 15 mins and she is now leaking from the large seal around the float cup. No biggie.

She has a nice exhaust leak where there should be a gasket. Sheesh, even the headlight works. What do you think she's worth by the pics posted?

Here are my needs so far:

1) Carb rebuild kit
    2) Choke assembly (plastic) 16046-961-004
    3) Exhaust Manifold Gasket 18352-961-010 & 18358-961-003
    4) Seat Cover
    5) Gas Tank (stock)
    6) Rear Cooler Rack
    7) Decal Kit

I think 1 thru 3 are the most important for now. Where is the best place to get them?

Thanks in advance!

Leo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140903_192219.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	982.3 KB 
ID:	200479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140903_192237.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	200480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140903_192246.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	965.5 KB 
ID:	200481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140903_192301.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	200482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140903_192311.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	937.1 KB 
ID:	200483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140903_192324.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	200484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140903_192339.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	800.3 KB 
ID:	200485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140903_192438.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	899.4 KB 
ID:	200486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140903_192508.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	995.2 KB 
ID:	200487
    Last edited by MPDano; 09-28-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added part numbers

MPDano is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    A quick video

--
    Looks like a decent trike. Ebay is the cheapest place to get the carb parts. The exhaust leak you are refering to, is it around the pipe and the exhaust flange or between engine and flange. Seems most all 81-84 R leak there somewhat. If you go to remove the flange from the cylinder be very carful with the three small bolts, they like to twist off. That tank is huge, it must be a desert tank for a dirt bike with it sitting so high on the frame. Your headlight is not 82R, looks like an 83-84 light and housing with an sx gaurd. You will love it, the first gen R's ride like no other atv made. Wether thats a good or a bad thing you will deceide. I like them and they are fairly easy to work on. I have a build thread of an 81 racer and my wifes 81 that I am working on along with an 84 with the 300 kit I am building. Don't let anyone talk you into putting a 200x front on it, the charm of the 81-82 is the wide tire and that low slung look.
    Rebuilding and riding trikes everyday and lovin every minute.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...light=pipeline

--
    Quote Originally Posted by pipeline triker View Post
    Looks like a decent trike. Ebay is the cheapest place to get the carb parts. The exhaust leak you are refering to, is it around the pipe and the exhaust flange or between engine and flange. Seems most all 81-84 R leak there somewhat. If you go to remove the flange from the cylinder be very carful with the three small bolts, they like to twist off. That tank is huge, it must be a desert tank for a dirt bike with it sitting so high on the frame. Your headlight is not 82R, looks like an 83-84 light and housing with an sx gaurd. You will love it, the first gen R's ride like no other atv made. Wether thats a good or a bad thing you will deceide. I like them and they are fairly easy to work on. I have a build thread of an 81 racer and my wifes 81 that I am working on along with an 84 with the 300 kit I am building. Don't let anyone talk you into putting a 200x front on it, the charm of the 81-82 is the wide tire and that low slung look.
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the tank really bothers me and will get changed out before I even bring it out to the Desert. Is there some sort of o-ring of sorts around the flange/pipe connection. The set up looks just like my Odyssey but it's been awhile since I've worked on it. Is there some sort of diagram with parts and numbers somewhere? The light and cage I'll keep, just spruce it up a bit. The piece of frame where the rear handle bolts to is bent, so I will straighten that before getting a rack of some sort. No chance on changing out the front end as I will keep it mostly as-is. I may take it apart to paint the frame, etc. I also don't really like how the whole engine, etc is painted red. I would like to get it to silver looking.

Also, you can see the stance, I am wondering if the rear looks too low and the front too high? I see the adjustment areas, but wondering if this looks correct.

Thanks again for the reply.

Leo

--
    it doesn't look like its worth too much besides being so old and needing so much work, tell ya what ill do, since I am such a nice guy, I will let you send it to me along with $100.00 and get it off your hands for ya!

lol... actually, who cares what its word, fix her up and ride it like its your job!!!

--
    .........And you got a pool to ya bum!!!! lol I love the red engines on these, they look nice. I wonder if I should paint my DXN's engine yellow? lol Hmmmmm, may have to Photoshop it to get an idea of what it would look like! I love the Air cooled trikes, they look so much balls-ier than the water cooled machines... maybe im just old school like that... who knows, good luck with it and yeah, that gas tank is funny looking but I bet one fill up would last a long time!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post

Here are my needs so far:

1) Carb rebuild kit
    2) Choke assembly (plastic)
    3) Exhaust Manifold Gasket
    4) Seat Cover
    5) Gas Tank (stock)
    6) Rear Cooler Rack
    7) Decal Kit

I think 1 thru 3 are the most important for now. Where is the best place to get them?

Thanks in advance!

Leo
    Cooler rack: check on EBay... when I was looking for a new rear grab bar I kept seeing an aluminum one with the six pack holder (might be too small?) for like anywhere from $25.00 to $79.00 not sure on the $25.00 one though as I emailed the seller a couple times for sizing and he never responded so... let the buyer beware on that one...lol

Seat cover... look up a member here called Mosh or something like that, they made my Yamaha old school bar pad that is awesome but has been retired because I friend (another member here who lives in the next town over from me) found an original Yamaha bar pad from the very early 80s at his work so that's now on the trike! But Mosh has done a ton of seats for members here and does customs too.

Gas tank: Ebay or try the classifieds here, lots of members have 250R's on this site so there may be one for sale.

Stickers /Graphics sets: Ebay, but if not, there is a member here, I forget his mane but I believe he does repro stickers, maybe he'll see this and IM you or someone else will hook you up with his contact info.

Choke and Carb kits: Ebay... or try Partzilla . com look up your trike and then check out the parts lists for the different parts and part numbers... I got most off the parts
    to rebuild my trikes carb from them. it worked out to be just a touch more than what the kit on Ebay was listed for... which I would have bought but it sold before I got off my butt to buy it... lol

--

--
    Quote Originally Posted by czac View Post
    Cooler rack: check on EBay... when I was looking for a new rear grab bar I kept seeing an aluminum one with the six pack holder (might be too small?) for like anywhere from $25.00 to $79.00 not sure on the $25.00 one though as I emailed the seller a couple times for sizing and he never responded so... let the buyer beware on that one...lol

Seat cover... look up a member here called Mosh or something like that, they made my Yamaha old school bar pad that is awesome but has been retired because I friend (another member here who lives in the next town over from me) found an original Yamaha bar pad from the very early 80s at his work so that's now on the trike! But Mosh has done a ton of seats for members here and does customs too.

Gas tank: Ebay or try the classifieds here, lots of members have 250R's on this site so there may be one for sale.

Stickers /Graphics sets: Ebay, but if not, there is a member here, I forget his mane but I believe he does repro stickers, maybe he'll see this and IM you or someone else will hook you up with his contact info.

Choke and Carb kits: Ebay... or try Partzilla . com look up your trike and then check out the parts lists for the different parts and part numbers... I got most off the parts
    to rebuild my trikes carb from them. it worked out to be just a touch more than what the kit on Ebay was listed for... which I would have bought but it sold before I got off my butt to buy it... lol
    Great info man. Much appreciated. Yeah, found the partzilla site just a few mins ago. Great for looking up the part numbers. Thanks for all the hook up on advice!

Can't access Classifieds, I believe since I am a noob. Need two months veterans time to pass. Bummer.

Leo

--
    I like the red engine, only the 81-82's had them. This is a pic of my wifes.

Your front looks so high because the first gen's are a little low in the back and it looks like the front tire is or has been overinflated, the tall tank also makes it look taller in the front than it is.

The exhaust uses a ring to seal the pipe to the flange, I think the 250cc oddys use the same set up. I have found if the gap in the ring is facing up they leak less. I was thinking of trying a high temp rubber type o-ring in one. Worst it could do is melt.
    Rebuilding and riding trikes everyday and lovin every minute.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...light=pipeline

--
    Quote Originally Posted by pipeline triker View Post
    I like the red engine, only the 81-82's had them. This is a pic of my wifes.

Your front looks so high because the first gen's are a little low in the back and it looks like the front tire is or has been overinflated, the tall tank also makes it look taller in the front than it is.

The exhaust uses a ring to seal the pipe to the flange, I think the 250cc oddys use the same set up. I have found if the gap in the ring is facing up they leak less. I was thinking of trying a high temp rubber type o-ring in one. Worst it could do is melt.
    Nice trike. Yeah I thought the o-ring was familiar in my Odyssey. Maybe I can find that seal easier.

I will try and lower the psi on the front tire as it was how I got it.

Thanks for the pic and reply.

Leo

--
    Just bought the carb rebuild kit. I also purchased the Honda Odyssey Exhaust rings, there are two. If I remember correctly, one was metal and the other was some sort of fiber material. If they fit, I will update my thread above.

--
    Bought a black seat cover with Honda on rear

--
    congrats on the bike you will love it they fly!! and everyone I spoke to said it would handle like a pig but when I rode it I was very surprised!!! and I found it is more contrable with more pressure in the front tyre!!
    73 atc 70
    84 ytm 200ern
    79 atc 70
    ytm 225 dr
    atc 90
    80 atc 110
    klt 250A
    84 atc 200es
    85 atc 250es

gone but not forgotten restored 82 atc 70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jakep53 View Post
    congrats on the bike you will love it they fly!! and everyone I spoke to said it would handle like a pig but when I rode it I was very surprised!!! and I found it is more contrable with more pressure in the front tyre!!
    Thanks! Can't wait to get it out and give it a test after I get all the above parts installed. Desert season is quickly approaching and my toys are itching to get some dirt/sand time.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //