//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 350x decompression cable adjustment help

f76 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

350x decompression cable adjustment help

My 85 350x has always been a pain to get started, so I checked the valve clearances, all four valves correct at 0.003". Decided I better check the decompression cable. Looked over the service manual and to be honest don't quite understand the described procedure. My cable was working properly before, kicked over without having to jump on the lever but definetly took a strong kick. But with it being hard to start I figured I better check it. So the 0.5mm-1.5mm free play at the end of the lever on the jug...can someone please explain this to me? My lever has a spring that is always putting down force on the lever so it returns back after the decompression cycle is complete. I don't see how I am supposed to have free play with this spring unless I take the adjustment section out of the clip securing it to the head, but then it would not function properly. I just don't quite understand where the lever should be so it actually allows decompression for easy starting yet closes all the way so it will start.
    Thank you!
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--
    What Honda means by "free play" is the amount of movement the arm on the head has from it's full rested position at TDC (that spring wound around it returns it to that position) to the point when the decomp cam contacts the rocker (where it stops when you lift it with your fingers). All that is checked with the piston at TDC. If adjustment is needed, it is done with the two nuts at the bracket on the head. If there is too much "free play" (movement) then your decomp won't work properly, or at all, and you will have a heck of a time kicking it over. If there is not enough "free play" you can stand a chance of bending the exhaust valves because that decomp cam can/will contact the rocker arm and will not allow the valves to close fully. If valves don't get bent, you can at least expect power loss from the valves not closing fully, and there is a chance it will not start because the engine will not be able to develop enough compression.
    Last edited by 6speedthumper; 09-10-2014 at 11:29 PM.

--
    Do a search here. Its covered at least once every couple of weeks. I always tell people the first thing to do is to make sure that you actually have movement at the lever thats by the kicker first. These get broken quite a bit. Then start the trike and see if the arm on top is moving, if it is it' too tight. If it isn't moving push up on it while the engine is running, you should feel it "bounce" when it makes contact. That means it's still functional. I adjust my cable tight enough so that the arm on top doesn't move or "tick" while its running, but if I tighten it any more it will.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Thanks for the help guys! I did search for my specific issue but didn't come across anything that helped me further understand. I will give the described method you stated a try BOB MARLIN, thank you!
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--
    Just adjusted my cable per the described method above by BOB MARLIN, worked fantastic! Thank you! Very easy to kick over, started right up.
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--

Decompression cable

The decompression cable was unhooked on my 1985 350 X when I bought it. Looked at some pictures on this site to try and figure it out. What I noticed is the arm is pointing the wrong way. Its pointing straight back. Is this easy to fix? Best guess is someone had that cover off and the arm was cocked wrong. And I cant figure out how to upload pictures. Thanks for any help.

Andy

--
    Mine never did have a decomp cable. I figured out how to start it without one. If it hadn't run for quite a while, it can be a PITA to start. After that, I can usually start it on the first kick, hot or cold. Unless I happen to flood it out for some reason.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //