//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gsxr 600 engine for my KLT 250

--
    Sounds good sir lol. I just got the go ahead to dismantle the motorcycle the engine came from so I can use the radiator,header and carbs before I build the subframe to house it all. After more measureing and measureing I figured I can still fit the rad up front and my Honda 200s gas tank seams to fill the spot between the seat and bars just fine. Lol. Here is another mock up photo of all the parts. I hade to flip the stock rear frame rails to use as my swing arm. Going to pick up some 3/4" Hiem joints for the swinger mounts. I've decided to use the shock from my old dirt bike. The top one is the foretrax shock compared to the dirtbike one. Plus the adjustability of it makes it a no brainer. I may only be a short order cook but I've been chopping things up and creating crazy contraptions all my life.
    Here is the shocks.

And here is a pic of it all just mocked up.

--
    If it ends up with the dimensions and stance of the mockup photo it will be very unsafe. Prepare for a gearing nightmare with the top end biased inline.

Watching and shaking my head so far.... keep it going.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostv2 View Post
    You might as well replace the whole front end too. That stock front suspension won't help much with that kinda power plant.
    Disagree on this... the front end was built to take abuse and some jumping with adults on it. Also, the leading link suspension will help when tuning the handling.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    Disagree on this... the front end was built to take abuse and some jumping with adults on it. Also, the leading link suspension will help when tuning the handling.
    Just shoot down everyone's ideas why don't ya.

--
    The demensions of the mock up are pretty close to that of a 250x. The wheelbase is only 2.5" longer and it also sits 2.5" taller as well to make up for the break over angle. The swinger is tilted just a few more degrees down farther than the gsxr swinger. As for gearing the stock sprocket on the Klt is the same tooth count as the One that was on the gsxr but it is also 8 teeth more than the stock one. We geared it down to be a drag/stunt bike. So it revs up high always anyway from the low gearing. That's also why it got a 750 engine in it now lol. Plus safety is relative. You can give some idiots the safest thing in the world and somehow find away to maim or kill 4 people with it. I know I'll have a good healthy dose of respect for this toy for sure. It's got a whole new learning curve.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostv2 View Post
    Just shoot down everyone's ideas why don't ya.
    To me, it's kind of like fishing with a net, instead of a pole. My perception of a discussion forum is that all opinions are shared, then discussed. It doesn't have to be Guiding Light or Dallas up in here. Just being honest about what I think of the project.

All while keeping in mind that major motivation can be obtained from others doubts. My word is certainly not the last one.

ktmcrasher is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    do you think you can build it tough enough that it won't self destruct? 100+ bhp in that old frame should be testing.

good luck with the build, great project.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    To me, it's kind of like fishing with a net, instead of a pole. My perception of a discussion forum is that all opinions are shared, then discussed. It doesn't have to be Guiding Light or Dallas up in here. Just being honest about what I think of the project.

All while keeping in mind that major motivation can be obtained from others doubts. My word is certainly not the last one.
    I was just joking.

But I know how projects go for me when doing basic rebuilds to partial restoration which is really just cleaning up and painting parts like frames. I get all excited and filled with ambition, take it apart in one day, spend 3 months putting it all back together. And that's a good project lol.

I'd like to see video of it in action, so hopefully he has more motivation than me.

--
    DOHC is correct doubt does set fires under people's asses lol. KTM the frame was plenty strong enough before I cut it up but I'm one of those guys who will gusset every weld or connection no matter how minuscule it seems lol. I have quite abit of motivation when it comes to building toys. My equalizer is the money it takes to build them but I usually make up for it with ingenuity or recycling of old pieces into what I need. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of things you just can't backyard fab. I finished off my GF's bike into a rolling chassis about 2 months after getting it. Now it sits wait for a new engine but it's just the motor rebuild for it is going to cost as much as the tranny in my truck. Plus the colder it gets the more I'm going to need the truck. I've tried to ride my motorcycle in the snow and that didn't work out to well( never made it out of my drive) lol. This build only involves money when it comes to the steel and welding wire to build it besides the small things that need to be bought. Also the header and the oil pan are going to be swapped for ones from a suzuki rf 900. The oil pan is a lot shorter and the header completely covers the bottom of it and acts as a skid plate.

--
    So how's this crazy project coming along?
    1985 250r-LED Performance 4mm Stroker motor
    1978 ATC70 w/ Piranha 140cc
    1972 - K1 - CT70 w/lifan 125cc
    2017 YZ 250x- Braap

Youtube channel = http://www.youtube.com/user/ter5678/videos

--
    I think the best part was the little cart that wheeled the engine around on. I need one of those. I have a KLT, and although my opinion is cutting it apart would make it useful, I still ask WHY?
    nstyle73

"When in doubt, wind it out"

Feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-nstyle73

--
    Any updates?

Have you thought about adding a parachute? Top fuel style.

Those old brakes were not great on a 200.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post
    Any updates?

Have you thought about adding a parachute? Top fuel style.

Those old brakes were not great on a 200.
    He's gotta get it to move before there's a need to stop it
    It sucks to get old

--
    Update.. Well got a new job that leaves me no free time and moved. Now I have no garage for my toys and they are in storage for now at my moms. Just found out that I'm going to be a daddy this week and now things just got real and projects will be a long term goal for now. Still plan on building this thing but it's gonna take a lot longer than I had previously assumed. Why cut it up. Why not the engine needs a rebuild and going into a go cart my friend is working on. Nothing else to use the gsxr engine as well lol. Parachute..? Nah if I'm going that fast I'd rather the chute be on me lol.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestATC View Post
    Update.. Well got a new job that leaves me no free time and moved. Now I have no garage for my toys and they are in storage for now at my moms. Just found out that I'm going to be a daddy this week and now things just got real and projects will be a long term goal for now. Still plan on building this thing but it's gonna take a lot longer than I had previously assumed. Why cut it up. Why not the engine needs a rebuild and going into a go cart my friend is working on. Nothing else to use the gsxr engine as well lol. Parachute..? Nah if I'm going that fast I'd rather the chute be on me lol.
    Congrats! Daddy.
    Keep us posted.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //