//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Decided I dont like 3 wheelers

Crazyktmmatt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Nah CJ I didnt mean you.

My BR pulled the same thing when I got it. Got it running rode it around - Hey this is kinda fun, then I washed it and lost spark. Replaced the cdi, nadda, replaced the stator, yay spark, but weak. Replaced the coil with a hot one, HOLY SHIET ! it sparks good now.

Bad thing is I always wanted a big red as a kid. lol

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyktmmatt View Post
    WOW lots of butt hurt here...... Didn't know there was a day I couldn't like my 3 wheeler. It happens with any machine.

Far as tires go front was fairly new, and the turf busters came on it.

So what Im new here, been riding 3 wheelers longer then alot of people here, about 25 years already at that.

For some reason I havent liked this big red since the day after I got it - Its been one of those machines. Been trying to trade it for a 200x and buy maybe a 250es.
    Plus I have 3, 70's

Quote Originally Posted by C.J View Post
    Hey I was agree-ing with you. I had nothing BUT trouble out of my 200ES. It would randomly lose spark for a month,, then start firing perfectly again. No matter how many grounds I checked, stators I changed, coils and CDI's. Nothin. Something about the 200ES just rubs me the wrong way.
    Honestly, im not dumping on your rants, because I know how it is, it really puts a damper on a fun day, but this type of stuff is bound to happen when dealing with a 30 year old trike.

--
    Do what you like but don't piss on the websites dedication.

We don't need to hear it, simply leave the forum!!

There is a quad forum here at 3WW for you to enjoy....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    We all have days we don't like our bikes. It's only natural
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    Hey, despite my best efforts to make sure my stuff is tip-top before a ride, I have still had my rides on the end of a rope for the tow of shame back to camp...

It happens.. only I don't start threads about it (unless I can't figure out the whats/whys of my breakdown)..
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Trikes aren't for everyone. But before you give up try a bike with better suspension first. The most comfortable trike I've ever ridden was a 250es big red. Great trail bike.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J View Post
    Hey I was agree-ing with you. I had nothing BUT trouble out of my 200ES. It would randomly lose spark for a month,, then start firing perfectly again. No matter how many grounds I checked, stators I changed, coils and CDI's. Nothin. Something about the 200ES just rubs me the wrong way.
    It seems the Orignal CDI boxes for the 200es are starting to fail in large numbers, most likely due to being used for 30+ years, even read about a NOS one being bad. Good advice would be to get a new style CDI box (2 plugs, one 4 pin, other 2 pin) and adapt your wire harness to it (same color wires, just need the connector). That is of course if everything else checks out via ohm meter (check the service manual for details).

Things break at some point in time, the question is, how long did it work before breaking and not since the time you bought the machine (to OP and C.J.). Most likely it went 20+ years with no issues, go find a car with the same abuse these things get and see how well they hold up.

@OP

I understand having a flat tire sucks, but is that the only issue you found so far with the 3 wheeler? The coil isn't really a big issue, car spark plug wires have to be changed as general maintenance. Sounds like your stator wasn't bad, maybe just a little weak.

--
    I tried to learn to love my SX... Just never happened. But it doesn't turn me off from trikes
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    Im not turned off by trikes. lol This ones been seriously been rubbing me wrong and trying to break me.

Figured I was doing really good by getting it cheap from the orig owner. Only real issue was his kids rode it once and flopped it - no biggie all trikes get flopped about.... Then the starter quit and the pull rope quit working.
    Got it running 30 min after I got it home, starter button was gunked up. Didnt run real well, neighbors didnt seem to like the rotted out muffler to much
    Took it to work to clean the carb, It was clean as can be. Ended up taking it out to ride it for abit and maybe it clear up. Nah ! figured Id wash it and then start debugging it, so much for running again.
    Thats when I started throwing parts at it. One part would work, but not really well. Ended up replacing all the sparking parts

Titling it was real fun one too. Had the MSO for it. Never been titled. I take it in and find out theres a lien on it. Have to take the MSO and a form to the new bank that bout out the old one 20 years ago. No one at the bank had a clue what to do either.... Had a nice lady help me out and make a phone call / fill out my paperwork. Round 2 at the DMV, Need it vin inspected since it never has been done. Titles were required in '91 and anything that was titled prior to '87 was lost. Get my vin inspected and off to the dmv again. Yea that was fun lol The poor guy hadda fill out a few more pieces of paper for it. Sweet im on my way to a title ! WRONG !!! Next morning I get a phone call, um could you come in and fill this other form out, my boss said so..... I got a title now tho
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0805140833.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	436.9 KB 
ID:	201199

Finally got it to run after a month- not real great I went through everything again, including the carb. Nothing changed, then one day it sorted itself out some how.

Been riding it since. Been buying parts for it cables, spare tire I seen on cl and w/e lil stuff its needed.
    Went for a recent ride and rode aways on the pavement - dang does this thing shake bad. Welp it turns out the guys kids bent the axle. Straightened the axle and stuck it back in, then come to find out the other side is bent too.... nEver looked bent....

Its been a ok machine so far nothing great. Makes it look bad when its broken and I ride with quads. I should just stick to the kids 70 and waste em like I usually do.....unless theres a hill. Fat kids and 70's dont mix.

I do like the BR for the most part. Got it home tossed the spare tire one and was out screwing off till dark, so I could test my led's I put on it.

Ive been eyeballing a few 200x's, not sure If id be happy with the power tho 350x would be more my speed after riding the ktm 500 for so many year. Only problem is the wife and kid have to keep up with me. Only was gonna buy a 110...... So much for that idea. Gonna go see on striking a deal on 2 200x's tomorrow. One would make a good auto x

Reverse will be missed - till I find a 250es or sx lol
    Last edited by Crazyktmmatt; 09-16-2014 at 01:48 AM.

--
    Well see the good think about trikes is that they are so light not having reverse sucks but by no means is a problem. If you get stuck you can easily get yourself out of a sticky situation. Lift up the front wheel and turn it around lol.

Plus they have a tight turning radius. Easy to turn around on a trail where a big 4x4 quad would need to do a 3 point turn.

--
    I bought a lawn mower dump cart so I could tote parts around the property, so reverse is kinda nice. BR goes more places then the lawn tractor. lol

I did find its fun to ride on 2 wheels in reverse - quads really cant do that !

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    If you like reverse and like to trail ride then a 250SX is the way to go! Man do I love ALL my SX's. Even the one with the shot trans and the one that was RAGGED OUT HARD all it's life. For a utility trike,, that's the way to go. Every 200ES I've gotten has had major electrical issues. No matter what kinda shape the bike was in the all had little electrical gremlins. One bike randomly lost spark for a month. Then one day it just had this nice big fat blue spark (ask my little brother how that went down). But a 200M? Never had a lick of trouble with them. Or the 185/200 and 185/200S's. Just something about a 200ES just KILLS a motor and a man's will to love his trike. I like the 250ES as well but they are too stuff in the front end for me. I prefer the feel and weight of the SX. But nothin compares to a 90/110 or a 350X!! I'll tell ya that right now!
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    Wow, sounds like that orig owner of the 200es did NOTHING to keep it up or do any kind of repairs unless 100% required to make it move again. Bet the spark plug was orig then!

Just a fair warning, the 1985 250sx/es had a "cold start problem", there are posts on how to "fix" it, not truly a problem, they are just cold blooded in the winter.

The 200x's are fun, but I went from a 350x to a 200x, and wasn't impressed (i tried two), yea.. they are fast and such, but the 350x will do exactly what you tell it, so if your in 3rd gear and wanna wheelie... tell it to do it and it will with just the thumb throttle. Both of mine will pull the front tire up a bit in 5th, not enough to wheelie though. The 250sx is pretty fast too, in the trails it keeps up with just about everything. Handling and such is pretty good, I just think the rear shock is a bit stiff, but mine might just be a fluke. It does a great job climbing the hills at trike fest, went up some pretty sketchy hills where my dad's 4x4 680cc had problems, and I made it up right after him.

Good luck and hopefully your luck will turn around with the next machine you get.

--
    a big red is the ultimate ride, anyting else from a 3wheeler is just a downgrade

--
    Looked at the 2, 200x's not to bad of shape, looked wee bit better in pics. I'll know more on trading red off at the end of the month.
    200x - I think I have 7 of em?

10 70's
    3 350x's
    Tri Z
    kxt
    and the 90 110 125m that I need to get rid of.
    YT175 with rear suspension sold
    200es- SOLD !!!!!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //