//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Someone school me in jetting a pinger...

--

Someone school me in jetting a pinger...

Yes, I have read the jetting 101, many times... It's very informative, but didn't address my exact question. And to be fair, I am primarily a 4 poker, but... Picked up a 1985 Honda Oddyssey 350. I know it's not a trike, but I am handi-capable... (Or that's my excuse for awhile till my ankle heals) Redid all the fuel lines and filters, and the vacuum line to drive the fuel pump, but it's breaking up at the mid to higher revs. I adjusted the needle up a notch, it ran worse, I dropped it down (maxed out) and it runs much better... It's very close, but it's still got a little room for improvement.

So the question at hand, how much dies a guy change the main jet? (Made up numbers, since it have not pulled the carb yet,) say the main jet is a 150 currently, I have heard that the odd (example :145 jet) is a half jet and say a 140 is a full jet difference... Or have I been given poor information? With the needle leaned as much as I could on the current jet, it's much improved, but not perfect... Thanks in advance!
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    Go down to a 145 on the main and put the needle back at half way and try it. Plug color is more important than anything on a 2 smoke IMHO. Make changes slow rather than too far too fast.
    my feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-hoosierlogger

TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Current rides
    Taurus 650 (green)
    85 250es big red
    83 ALT50 (5 year old daughters)
    82 ALT50
    82 ALT50
    84 atc 70 stroked big bore 90 STILL in progress.
    71 QA50
    93 TRX 300 FW

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Ya'll are the biggest bunch of whining b!tches I've seen in my entire life.
    You might be strong as an ox, but without a cart you are just a big dumb animal.

--
    Thanks Hoosier... That's what had me a bit perplexed, the plug is tanish in color...?

--
    Tan is correct. Black is bad rich, and white is a death sentance to a 2 smoker.

Current rides
    Taurus 650 (green)
    85 250es big red
    82 ALT50
    82 ALT50
    71 QA50
    93 TRX 300 FW

You might be strong as an ox, but without a cart you are just a big dumb animal.

--
    JMHO here Thorpe,,She's been sitting and all gummed up. Clean the carb again. Likely no one has re jetted it . So ,while you're cleaning the carb very thoroughly,match the jet sizes up to Hondas oe specs. I bet they're stock or close to it. Clean the heck out of it with 175 psi of air,and I bet she straightens up. Could be clutching too,,,I know,I know,,how could clutching seem like jetting! It can I would clean and service the clutches,,blow them all out ,lube the 3 weights and rollers,blow out and lube the driven. Make sure your belt is withinn spec,and you'll have a fun lil ride for sure! Hope that ankles getting better!??
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Also remember that odysseys love to foul spark plugs.

Jetting numbers are basically just part numbers. Yes they are relative to the size, but the specific number is of no matter, kinda like you stated already.

Regardless of half numbers or whatever else, if you were to want to jet leaner,,,which you should be careful doing, you would get the next smaller numbered jet. Smaller is leaner, bigger is richer.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Clean and LIGHTLY (emphasis on lightly here, I've seen some filters that looked like they were dipped in oil) oil the air filter. Check your plug gap, no more than .018, and with the 30 year old ignition systems I've had to gap them down to .012 before to make them not get blown out at high RPM. Consider a hotter plug range if you arent already running an 8.

Verify there are no air leaks.

Basically, check everything else before you start messing with jetting. All those issues above will make you chase your tail thinking its jetting when its not, been there done that

--

Red face

One reason Billy says to "lightly" oil the filter is because there is less air when the filter is oiled; similar to taking the air filter lid off; Adding more air.

Even the oil mixture changes everything. More oil means less gas.

Get the carb specs and see whats in there.

So once you have the motor all set with those, check a new plug. Then get another one and you may not want to plug chop it (WOT) just yet because if that air cooled motor is lean, you'll smoke it.

That needle being all the way up means "I want a bigger main jet!!" : So, starting fat or too rich is the best way to start.

Yes, jetting gets expensive; But, if your in the game with numerous models then extra jets won't hurt. If I thought a 150 was too lean, I'd bump up to a 160 and see how it acts.

Guess what happened to me this weekend?? My jetting on the 87 200X still wasn't quite right and I had no low or midrange power or pull. I messed around with jets and such and recalled that when I did this "20 day build" that I lightened the flywheel. I changed it back to an OEM flywheel and it definitely improved those 2 areas of jetting. I didn't have to touch the jetting once I swapped the flywheel. There simply was not enough weight to keep the motors rotating mass happy.

Just 1 more thing I learned!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    With Keihin carbs, (at least the most popular carbs found on the ATC's and ATV's) the main jets generally go in increments of 2, as long as you are under #200.

When you said it improved when you dropped the needle all the way, that should indicate you are pretty rich on the main or someone swapped in a much richer than necessary slide needle... But lets not worry about that slide needle just yet, need to get the main jet dialed in before attempting to tune in the midrange....Plus, many less informed would-be tuners forget about changing to a different profile slide needle anyway

Check out this site for genuine Keihin carb parts and jets: http://www.jetsrus.com/

Once you figure out exactly what model carb you have, you can easily order a small selection of jets for it there.

But obviously you need to verify what the jetting specs are set at currently to make an informed decision on what sizes you may need.

All of this assuming the carb and fuel delivery system is clean, clear, and functioning properly.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    007, I don't think it was parked long... It fires up instantly, and only breaks up under load at higher rpms. Once in awhile it runs real good and strong, but only for short pulls. Overall, I have only dropped the clip one notch from where it was when I picked it up. Has a Uni filter, marginally heavy on the oil, will clean that up some, and a comet 102c clutch, belt is brand new now...

Billy, I just screwed in a fresh NGK, but put in the stock BR9ES (P/O had a B9ES in it, that was tanish to black, but dry) and I am gapped wider then your recommendations... I will adjust, and report back. Best way to check for air leaks to fog with propane, or do an air test on the motor?

Steve, do you think this aftermarket clutch (which appears smaller and lighter than factory) would cause similar issues?

Lastly, as I was cleaning on the motor, notices the hated "orange rtv" (should be required to pass a test to purchase!!) at the reed valves... This concerns me as rtv always does, but what effects can old worn reed valves play? Thanks for all the great advice guys!

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Best way is with an actual gauge and block off the exhaust at the exhaust port because then you check center cases and crank seals, also, areas the propane fogger method doesnt reach. If your going to own a 2 stroke, a leak down tester is just a necessity. Its like having feeler gauage to measure valve clearance on 4 strokes, you jsut gotta have it.

I'd try gapping the plug tighter since its the easiest and in my experience also one of the most common things to be a cause. When its missing or bogging, is it smoking like a freight train, or is it just "missing" without any smoke or splooge?

Definitely thing that airfilter out, hell run it dry for a little bit atleast to establish a baseline even.

--
    Billy- will definitely build a block off to give it the proper pressure test. Do you recommend going to a BR8ES over the 9 along with the regap? It doesn't smoke heavily (a bit when it's first fired up) when it's bogging, or have any splooge. Running fresh non-oxy 92 octane with amsoil at 32:1... I will clean the oil off that filter, suppose I could run it without the airbox too to try and lean it a bit more...

--
    32:1 sounds excessive with today's oils. I could be wrong, but that just sounds like too much oil.

Current rides
    Taurus 650 (green)
    85 250es big red
    82 ALT50
    82 ALT50
    71 QA50
    93 TRX 300 FW

--
    B8ES, I hate resistors. Yes,,if you have neighbors, they are a necessity,as they do what they are intended to do. Resist. Clean filter,lightly oiled,102c clutch is fine,assuming it is for this buggy. Which,they sold many of these specifically made for the FL350. You say sometimes it runs good. Starting to sound like an air leak. Goop around intake,,sounding more like air leak,, For a damn good idea if you have an air leak or not. With it idling,spray starting fluid all around the intake,cases,and end seals the best you can get at them. IF you have any air leak,it will rev 10000 for a split second. You will KNOW it lol ! If it passes this test. You don't have a lot to worry about.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorpe View Post
    Billy- will definitely build a block off to give it the proper pressure test. Do you recommend going to a BR8ES over the 9 along with the regap? It doesn't smoke heavily (a bit when it's first fired up) when it's bogging, or have any splooge. Running fresh non-oxy 92 octane with amsoil at 32:1... I will clean the oil off that filter, suppose I could run it without the airbox too to try and lean it a bit more...
    the jump from a 9 to an 8 wont make that much of a difference at this point as you are diagnosing, but will when you are riding it for more extended periods. That was just a suggestion, more suited for longer term use.

I actually try and set up my 250Rs to run on 10 (very cold) plugs when I have just cleaned and freshened the airfilter. As I ride more, particularly in sandy dusty environments down here and the filter begins to dirty up, I graduate down to a 8, or sometimes even a 7 heat range to help band-aid making up for the lack of additional air coming in. Technically its an incorrect way to counter-act that, but it seems to work for me . When you have limited time/tools, it works.

Leave the airbox on for now - one variable at a time to change, thats very important too

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //