--

84 85 Tecate FMF Silencer on DG Pipe

I bought a DG pipe for my 85 Tecate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DGPipe1.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	201567

Of course, nobody makes a Tecate specific silencer at this time. Also, not a lot of info about fitting a universal or other options so I hope this helps someone in the future.

I bought an FMF Turbine Core 2 universal silencer.
    Both the DG and the stock pipe have a 1-1/8" (28mm) outlet so I bought the 1-1/8" FMF kit.

Hard to tell in this picture, but the DG (and I assume the stock) pipe point outward some:

Name:	DGPipe2.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	201568

The FMF silencer slips right on the end of the DG pipe, but the angles are all wrong. It points out and down. I wanted it parallel with the frame both "in and out" and "up and down" if that makes sense:

Name:	FMFnomods.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	201572

The FMF kit comes with this mid pipe. It slips on the DG pipe and into the FMF silencer, but has too much angle and is too long - would pull the silencer in and up too much and stick it out past the grab bar:

Name:	FMFmidpipe.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	957.4 KB 
ID:	201571

So I used some wood dowels and propane torch to unbend it some. The propane torch got it red hot and burned the wood but the pipe was still hard bend:

Name:	FMF bending.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	201569

I should have taken more pictures at this point but did not.

I cut the mid pipe down to about 2" on either side of the bend.
    Although the remaining piece still slides into the silencer, it eliminated the expanded joint to slip over the DG pipe. I bought a 3" piece of 28mm hi-temp silicon hose to use as a coupler.

Even after cutting the mid pipe down, I thought the silencer stuck out too far so I cut about 2" off the DG pipe. I was hoping to no do this and it probably would work fine uncut, but I did not like the silencer placement.

With all this, I was able to use the FMF clamp and one of the stock Tecate silencer mounting points.

This is what I ended up with. I still need a couple of clamps for the coupler:

Name:	FMFDone.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	201570

To start with, I bumped the main jet from a 260 to a 280. I have not run it yet. I figure I'll use my Columbus Day Little Sahara trip for jetting work.
    I'm also curious to see how the coupler works out.

--
    Good job. I like the way it looks.

--
    Looking much better after the mods. Nice work! In the first pic, it reminds me of how most of the "F&F tuner-type" cars look around here, with their big 8" mufflers sticking out all crooked.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Yeah I often suggest the FMF universal silencer to people because I use it in the past on stuff and have like 3 of them lying around, but no one knows how it is going to work out til you start trying to piece it together. Good job and write up.

I think it would have fit best trimming the stinger back but then the big problem becomes the union is right next to the air box, the air box was melted on my 84 T3. I use radiator hose pieces for the union and have used pieces of hose as heat shield on other areas of pipe.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Thanks for the thread. I was thinking about getting a Turbine Core for my Tecate because i got stopped recently for not having a spark arrestor on my DG silencer. I put a screen in it but apparently it needs to be approved by the Forest Service, i.e., it needs their sticker on stamp on it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    Thanks for the thread. I was thinking about getting a Turbine Core for my Tecate because i got stopped recently for not having a spark arrestor on my DG silencer. I put a screen in it but apparently it needs to be approved by the Forest Service, i.e., it needs their sticker on stamp on it.
    The FMF has the USFS stamp on it but it's hard to see once it's on the trike - it's on the "inside" side up by the inlet. As long as the ranger is willing to contort a bit it should be fine. I bet the ranger's that have been around a while know the pass vs fail models on sight.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4speed View Post
    Yeah I often suggest the FMF universal silencer to people because I use it in the past on stuff and have like 3 of them lying around, but no one knows how it is going to work out til you start trying to piece it together. Good job and write up.

I think it would have fit best trimming the stinger back but then the big problem becomes the union is right next to the air box, the air box was melted on my 84 T3. I use radiator hose pieces for the union and have used pieces of hose as heat shield on other areas of pipe.
    My airbox is already melted from whatever was on there in a previous life.
    The location of the union actually drove my cut location. It wouldn't bother me to cut a little more off other than that.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //