//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Welded hubs - 200m

--

Welded hubs - 200m

While starting my rear bearing replacement i think i have come to the conclusion that the hubs are welded onto the axle. I did a quick search and looks like its pretty common...

My question is, is there a possibility of grinding off the weld? I'm thinking there is probably a good reason they were welded on, like maybe the end gear thing is stripped?

If not grinding down the weld, am I pretty much stuck with cutting the axle? If so I will get started!

I think i can find an axle and hubs on ebay at decent price
    '84 200M
    '84 200ES

--
    Currently parting out a 83 200e (same axle and hubs as 84 200m). I do not have the rear removed yet (could have the same problem lol) but if ya need it shoot me a PM and we can work on prices....Just know that 200s and 185s axles will not work. The bearing/axle carriers are different lengths. I found this out the hard way on a previous 200e I owned.
    Check out post #5 http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...get-it-to-stop!
    insanity - Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

My Feedback Thread.....http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-MRSOUND

86 honda big red
    85 250sx
    82 250r
    86 klt 185 black (project)
    86 klt 185 red
    85 klt 160 (Floyd)
    85 klt 110 X2 (projects)
    86 klt 110 X2
    84 klt 200
    84 atc 70
    DUCKSTER!

--
    grind it if you can do it evenly around the weld you can eventually separate the hub from the axle. Welcome to the classic honda hardtail fail. what happens is the honda splines are shallow on their axles and the hub nut eventually looses it pressure. Then either the hub or the axle splines start to tear away. Usually the hub destroys itself but on occasion the axle gets ruined as well. Somewhere a farmer decided it was cheaper to weld it up and not care about the bearings going out eventually than buying a new hub or axle and fixing it right. And it spread like wildfire.
    rectum nothin damn near killed them
    feel free to leave feed back for me here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...06#post1119306

cap is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I ground a pair of a 200E axle that I removed for the FatCat build. Fearing the worst I was surprised to see no reason they were welded on in the first place? Go figure why that rancher did it. Used a 4" grinder all the way around carefully then hit it with a and it cracked loose.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSOUND View Post
    Currently parting out a 83 200e (same axle and hubs as 84 200m). I do not have the rear removed yet (could have the same problem lol) but if ya need it shoot me a PM and we can work on prices....Just know that 200s and 185s axles will not work. The bearing/axle carriers are different lengths. I found this out the hard way on a previous 200e I owned.
    Check out post #5 http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...get-it-to-stop!
    Wow thanks! I was looking at 200s axles on ebay haha. would the axle be different because the carrier is different? a lot of the ebay ads for axles say they fit 200s/200m/etc...

I know the hubs are not same as 200s but figured the axle was the same for chain drives of same year...

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    I ground a pair of a 200E axle that I removed for the FatCat build. Fearing the worst I was surprised to see no reason they were welded on in the first place? Go figure why that rancher did it. Used a 4" grinder all the way around carefully then hit it with a and it cracked loose.
    Cool thanks, could I get away with removing only one hub? (sorry if that sounds dumb) I guess I wouldnt be able to get the seal on... unless it would stretch over the hub? Am i forgetting something else?

Thanks for the help guys
    '84 200M
    '84 200ES

--
    Have removed a few welded hubs and saved the axles. Like muthey said its usually the hub that's stripped.

kaymo is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    just weld em back on when yer done. problem solved!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    Have removed a few welded hubs and saved the axles. Like muthey said its usually the hub that's stripped.
    well I finally got the axle loose from bearings and put the $30 ryobi grinder to work... it was welded on both sides of the right side hub. 30 mins later I broke the hub loose and found pretty much no splines on the axle. I expected this but looking at the hub it has zero teeth. when I say zero I mean it is absolutely smooth inside. the hub does not fit snug on the axle at all and I don't know how the welder put it on as straight as he did. I've ridden on flat asphalt pretty fast and never noticed a wobble so it has to have been welded pretty straight. I think. anyway that pretty much means I need and axle and hubs... unless...

Quote Originally Posted by kaymo View Post
    just weld em back on when yer done. problem solved!
    it would be a somewhat good excuse to buy a welder!
    '84 200M
    '84 200ES

--
    if you plan to keep the machine, for serviceability sake i would get an axle and hubs. i think the reason so many people had this problem is they did not crank on the axle nut hard enough. if you do buy the parts tighten it down till its snug and observe the castle nut and cotter pin hole in axle. i always aim to crank it 2 notches farther on the castle nut. when i tighten them i use a 2 foot breaker bar and have to sit on the tire to crank down on it.

the welding thing was fine on the farm, when miles from a honda dealer and before the days of ebay and craigslist. the parts are easy to find and will make life easy the next time it has to come apart.
    Trikes: All Honda: 84 250r, 85 86 and 87 250sx, 84 and 85 125m, 79 82 84 and 85 110's, 73 us 90 and 77 atc90, 75 atc70
    Cycles: Honda: 71 cb100, 78 cb750 coming soon cb750 trike. Yamaha: 67 yds 3 (250cc, 2cyl, 2 stroke), 82 750 SECA
    Other toys: Chenoweth VW sandrail dune buggy, old race go kart, racing mower, 76 Arctic Cat Pantera 440 snowmobile

KEEP IT ON ALL 3 OR AT LEAST 2 AT A TIME

--
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Wow thanks! I was looking at 200s axles on ebay haha. would the axle be different because the carrier is different? a lot of the ebay ads for axles say they fit 200s/200m/etc...

I know the hubs are not same as 200s but figured the axle was the same for chain drives of same year...
    I like to use parts sites to determine compatibility. Can't swear they are always correct but it is how I normally check. Partzilla is my go to site. For example I looked up your 84 200m rear axle, when you click on the part # it opens up this screen and tells other models that use the same part#. That's how I came to the conclusion my 83 200e axle would work. You gotta watch some of eBay auctions, folks assume just because they are the same size engine everything is interchangeable.
    http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...0-958-020.html

86 honda big red
    85 250sx
    82 250r
    86 klt 185 red
    85 klt 160 (Floyd)
    85 klt 110 X2 (projects)
    86 klt 110 X2
    84 klt 200
    84 atc 70
    DUCKSTER!

kaymo is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    if you are trying to be cheap (by all means buy the right parts if you can afford) if the splines are SMOOTH gone then you could maybe center the hub for rewelding with a little piece of pipe that fit between. these are just suggestions for keeping beaters going of course, if you can afford u should do it right

--
    Pm coming
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1442.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	202348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1440.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	202347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1443.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	202349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1444.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	202350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1445.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	202351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1446.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	202352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1447.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	202353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1441.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	202354

86 honda big red
    85 250sx
    82 250r
    86 klt 185 red
    85 klt 160 (Floyd)
    85 klt 110 X2 (projects)
    86 klt 110 X2
    84 klt 200
    84 atc 70
    DUCKSTER!

JustEnough is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    If only one hub is welded I just do my best to not let the other hub get stripped and I am grateful that it was only one side.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //