//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another 86R Rebuild Thread!

--
    Thanks Stingray and 250rRoostmaster!

--
    I got my bearings and seals in for the big end of the swingarm. I greased up the bearing carrier and one of the bearings and started pressing the first one in. I have noticed that it slides in a few MMs at a time, kind of in a jerk. Its scraping the carrier walls very slightly and creating real fine shards of metal from the carrier. Is this normal?

I got the bearing flush with the outside of the carrier. Going tomorrow to get a socket big enough to set on the outside race and press the bearing in the rest of the way.

--
    The metal shavings are very tiny, like you see in this picture on the inside race

This is not my picture, I could not get my camera to focus on the shavings. Seem normal?

--
    If you heat the carrier and freeze the bearing they pretty much drop right in. When pressing them in they have to go in exactly square or you will end up with tiny shavings like you have possibly. I wouldn't worry about it, just as long as you pressed them in using the outside bearing race you should be ok.
    Last edited by 250rRoostmaster; 10-27-2014 at 09:05 AM.
    1985 250r-LED Performance 4mm Stroker motor
    1978 ATC70 w/ Piranha 140cc
    1972 - K1 - CT70 w/lifan 125cc
    2017 YZ 250x- Braap

Youtube channel = http://www.youtube.com/user/ter5678/videos

--
    Made some progress today. Got my crank seals installed, stator, flywheel etc reinstalled. New seal for gear shifter. Just wanted to write a little on removing and installing the crank seals without splitting the case.

To get the seals out I first covered everything except for the seals with rags to keep debris out. Then I used a tiny self tapping screw to drill into the seal. I drilled really slow with next to no force behind the drill. I did not go all the way through the metal in the seal. I'd say I went 50% through. Stopping from time to time to remove any shavings. Then I took a really sharp awl and punched a hole the rest of the way through the seal (GENTLY!, just want a _tiny_ hole!). Then hand threaded in a big wood screw. Then I took a piece of wood and put it across the case to use as a fulcrum. Used a pair of vice grips to hold the screw and pry against the wood. Seals came right out. Then inspect the crank bearing area to make sure no shavings fell down into the bearing. If you dont drill all the way though and keep your work area clean, this should not be a problem. I also ran a magnet over the bearing hah.

Installing the new seals is pretty straight forward. Only thing I'll say about that is I went to Home Depot plumbing department with the seals to find pvc to work as seal drivers. Getting the seal completely seated and square took some time...
    Also on the flywheel side make sure the seal is 6mm past flush.

Hopefully I'll have some more updates soon.

--
    On pressing new bearings into the carrier. I've read here someone used an old bearing as a driver after a bit of grinding to reduce the diameter.

Personally, I use the heat and freeze method mentioned by Roostmaster and never had a problem.

--
    I found a pvc pipe fitting at Home Depot that fit perfectly for the bearing carrier. Since I got the press now I didn't trying heating anything. Funny thing was installing the seal was more of a PITA than the bearing...

--
    Got the flywheel side back together. Now working on the clutch side. Figured I would replace the clutch while I'm in there. I see a lot of different compaines making/selling clutches on Ebay. Can anyone suggest a good one? Thanks!

ONEBAD350X is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by mohadib View Post
    Got the flywheel side back together. Now working on the clutch side. Figured I would replace the clutch while I'm in there. I see a lot of different compaines making/selling clutches on Ebay. Can anyone suggest a good one? Thanks!
    Oem honda is the best for clutch discs.
    85 350X
    85 330R
    85 250R
    86 250R
    86 200X
    86 200X

--
    x2, OEM fibers and steels.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //