//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: *** Help - My '84 200es is giving me grief ***

--

*** Help - My '84 200es is giving me grief ***

Over the last couple of months - my '84 200es has been driving me crazy. Here's what's happening. One day it will start and run with no issues. Cold start with the touch of the electric starter or one slight pull of the starter rope. Runs great all day. The next day it will not start (cold start). After numerous attempts it will finally start. Run great for a long time and then stall out - almost like it is running out of gas. New petcock and filter was installed this spring. Next day - again no issues - will run great all day. For example - yesterday it started fine, went for a 2 mile drive from home. Cruising along about one hour into the ride, in 4th, it stalled out. Started easily - idled great, put it into first, lightly applied throttle and it would stall. Over and over again, this happened. It would only keep running and move if I did not get on the trike. Therefore to get home I had to walk beside it and feather the throttle. As soon as there was a load (me - ) on the trike - it would stall when trying to go from a stand still. Today went into the garage - bumped the starter button and she fired right up. Drove down the street numerous times and you guessed it - no problems.

Your opinions appreciated. Is this a carb or electrical issue??? Maybe the clutch??? (I have it adjusted as per the owner's manual) Could there be a problem with the coil?? I have been stranded a couple of times because of this intermittent problem - but I will never get rid of her.. Anyone else had similar problems with their Honda ATC???

Thanks in advance. BK3
    Last edited by bkvette3; 10-13-2014 at 09:09 PM.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Maybe vapor locking due to a poorly vented gas cap. If it has the stock cdi, that could be the problem, as they weren't good when they were new. Also, check the airbox, and evict Alvin and the Chipmunks, if need be. Just a thought.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    Maybe vapor locking due to a poorly vented gas cap. If it has the stock cdi, that could be the problem, as they weren't good when they were new. Also, check the airbox, and evict Alvin and the Chipmunks, if need be. Just a thought.
    Thanks Daniel,

I know Alvin and the boys do not reside in the airbox (LOL). Air filter is cleaned and lubed. Going to check the CDI - probably is still original (I am guessing). If the gas cap lever is on "open" I am assuming there should not be vapour lock issues (???) Unless the cap lever is not working correctly.

Regards, BK3

zoomerman is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I had a four wheeler that did this. there was a tiny bit of crap floating around in the carb
    1985 suzuki alt 185
    1985 honda atc 250sx
    1985 honda atc 200m (all apart)
    1984 honda atc 200es
    1984 honda atc 200x- need motor, plastics, axle, exhaust.
    1984 honda atc 125m- times 2
    1985 honda atc 200m all apart
    1983 honda atc 200e times 2
    1983 honda atc 250r-times 2
    1983 honda atc 200 4 parts

1983 honda atc 110 times 3
    1979 honda atc 110 smokey
    1978 honda atc 90- restored

Have lots of extra parts, if interested email at e_mcy@hotmail.com

--
    I suspect if it were a venting issue, the problem would not be intermittent.

Junk in the carb as mentioned or a sticking float needle. Thorough carb clean. Also make sure your slide needle is secured with a" w" clip.
    Last edited by DohcBikes; 10-14-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: clarification

--
    uuuug.
    I sold mine because of that.
    It was funky electrical connection that the new kid fixed in
    no time.
    Could be odd fuel flow as well. Some vibration makes it ok.
    when it feels like it.
    Sitting on it is the kicker for me. Anything funky wirewise under the seat and fenders?
    I forget what they look like.

cap is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Pull the float needle and clean it up with the rest of the carb.
    Check the thumb on/off switch for proper working order and not to loose as to shut off even though it's not pushed into the off position.

--
    If your thinking the filler cap just take it off when it starts to do it and see if it clears up.

Crazyktmmatt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Mine did silly stuff like that after I washed it. Thought it was the cdi box so I off'd it and did a different one. Still no spark. Ended up replacing EVERYTHING Fixed it tho. Not 100% sure what it was but it ran.
    200x - I think I have 7 of em?

10 70's
    3 350x's
    Tri Z
    kxt
    and the 90 110 125m that I need to get rid of.
    YT175 with rear suspension sold
    200es- SOLD !!!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyktmmatt View Post
    Mine did silly stuff like that after I washed it. Thought it was the cdi box so I off'd it and did a different one. Still no spark. Ended up replacing EVERYTHING Fixed it tho. Not 100% sure what it was but it ran.
    Hopefully I don't have to replace everything. This 200es still has its 30 year old original parts on it. With that said - parts are going to start to break down and malfunction. I have an ignition control module (CDI), ignition coil assembly and a pulse generator assembly on order from the local Honda dealership. Hopefully it will cure the problem.

--
    Hey well if you throw enough parts at the wall eventually something will stick. Diagnosis is for suckers.

Crazyktmmatt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    Hey well if you throw enough parts at the wall eventually something will stick. Diagnosis is for suckers.
    Aint that the truth !
    Sometimes its easier and faster to change something then screw with trying to figure why its bad.

I tested everything before spending money on mine. Nothing really screamed I'm bad.
    200x - I think I have 7 of em?

10 70's
    3 350x's
    Tri Z
    kxt
    and the 90 110 125m that I need to get rid of.
    YT175 with rear suspension sold
    200es- SOLD !!!!!!

--
    Ordered parts are in - picking up on Monday. Cleaned the carb and installed a carb kit. Hopefully this eliminates the problem.

--
    I almost guarantee that its the gas cap not venting. Just fixed my cousins. Sometimes it would do it, sometimes it wouldn't.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RPMRestorations View Post
    I almost guarantee that its the gas cap not venting. Just fixed my cousins. Sometimes it would do it, sometimes it wouldn't.
    How did you fix the cap, I have five 200es, and one of them gives trouble especially when the fuel level gets to about half(if the tank is full its fine) but if I undo the cap take it off and put it back on it will be run okay again for a while.
    Is it a fairly easy job to take it apart?
    Also I see on one of the other 200es I have someone drilled a small hole in the top of the cap.
    1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED x6

1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED x3

1984 Honda ATC70 LITTLE RED

1983 Honda ATC185S(200E engine)

1984 Honda ATC200X

1985 ATC 70

1983 ATC 70

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //