//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tig Brazing

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries

Tig Brazing

Anyone ever seen in person or used this method? Was thinking a future pipe might look cool done up with it.

briano is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Polished stainless pipe done like that would be sweeeeet

--
    looks wicked trick. Would look awsome on a pipe. Dont know about for structural strength though, isnt brazing, even with tig, just a surface bond? I dont think you get the same burn in on the base metal with a braze. Looks like maybe some silicon bronze rod, which is super tough, and will bond dissimilar metals.

--
    Hey Billy,

I've TIG soldered steel with brass rod before on some pretty stressed parts (lower drag bar mounts) My TIG mentor swore it was a very strong way to attach things to each other, but like the guy in this video say, it won't be as strong as steel to steel, but I'm guessing the welds won't stress crack as the brass is softer. I don't think brass paints well, but for a pipe it should work great. In fact I believe many spring hooks on 2 stroke pipes are brazed on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhlAO2WIFKE
    It sucks to get old

--
    On a sextional exhaust, think it would break apart.Once it starts your screwed.Especially on a.pipe like your building.Not worth the chance.One thing I would have done is purge welded your pipe.Plus used 309 SS tig wire.It would turn out nice and be strong.

--
    I am just learning to use a TIG but I can't imagine brazing a pipe, that's pretty thin material. As stated above if it starts to open up you're done. It would look beautiful though...

--
    Fusion weld with gas maybe, Billy?
    My son and I did some playing around with our oxy/propylene smith this past weekend. I was surprised how well fusion/no filler worked on an old roached out FMF. Kenny Roberts fusion welds and then hand pounds each section smooth (no filler). Think he uses oxy/acetylene though. He only brazes the exhaust port bell and spring hooks. Awesome work you do! Love watch'n!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200R pipe (new) 2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	203379
    Last edited by Buster Brown; 10-23-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ordered a small 1lb package of Silicon Bronze rods from McMaster to try and do the bracketry on the pipe with as a starter - we will see how that works out before I get any more ambitious

--
    Blog Entries
    Pretty good video here I found;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8Fn2ou_nw

--
    i know that rod is not cheap, what mcmaster get you for it?(too lazy to look myself)

--
    We did a fair batch of silicon bronze with the tig back at the street rod shop... I think it would hold up on a pipe...
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldochina View Post
    i know that rod is not cheap, what mcmaster get you for it?(too lazy to look myself)
    About $20 a lb is what it worked out to be. I didn't buy more than a lb

--
    We use that rod all the time at work. I seen the welders braze 26ga material together. You can also use a stick welder as the heat source, but need a carbon rod instead of the regular welding rods. I have patched up a few mufflers with it and haven't had any problems.
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

--
    There were motorcycle frames that were brazed in the 1960" & 70"s (American Eagle & Rickman to name a few) They didn't have any problems.

Many bicycle frames are still brazed today, including downhill bikes.

Many old 2 stroke aftermarket pipes had brazed exhaust flanges, pipe spring holders, mounting brackets and mounting nuts.

An old welder told me it helped with vibration issues.

As soon as Bill's pipes started Migging everything it seems everyone followed.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

fastatc70 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I have used Harris 56 to tig weld with. Mostly socket welding dissimilar metals like steel to copper or copper to stainless ect. The next time I start up the tig welder I will try to butt weld 1.5 SS tubing. Test it's durability.
    Trikes:
    1985 ATC 70 mod to 184cc
    1984 ATC70 mod to 124cc
    1983 ATC 70 Xmas restoration

Quads:
    1986 TRX 250R
    2002 TRX 400EX
    2- LT80 for the kids
    1986 LT 50

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //