//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: '85 250R countershaft rotation ease

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    You know better now don't ya!!

Use your cell phone and video and record just the few times it gets hairy......

I still do it.

Edit - I haven't done an 85/86R for awhile. I guess they have a gasket and not just 3Bond??
    Yes. And they don't like to go with no gasket either. I assembled an engine temporarily once, no gaskets of any kind...just because it was going to be awhile before I installed that engine and I wanted all the parts to be where they were supposed to be. The cases didn't want to draw together without making the crank and trans difficult to turn. It seems to me they account for gasket thickness with crank and trans bearing spacing. Kind of makes you think twice about cheap knock-off gaskets.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    I agree that the "no gasket" thing never made me a fan. But, if I stone any high spots and epoxy and smooth any lows, 3bond each side, let it tack up and it hasn't failed me.

I know your searching for the other demon but don't forget the left crank seal MUST be pushed in about 5MM to pass the taper. Flush and you'll have an air leak so just check it.

I find the 250R to be one of the easiest bottom ends to build providing it's assembled properly. A plastic taps it all together easy.

This is why I zip tie the tranny shafts when I tear them down. Time passes and things are forgotten...... I hope you get it!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

pismorat is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Well, the countershaft spinning problem is fixed! Now the issue is I'm not getting complete rotation of the shafts while shifting it through the gears. There are two gears (1st & 5th I think) that I only get 1/2 and 3/4 shaft rotation before they hit a hard stop. I'm also not getting a good neutral. I'm assuming there must be a gear alignment problem inside now...so it's time to come back apart and look for something else. I always do my own work, but I'm getting REALLY close to having someone else assemble the bottom end...
    '78 Honda ATC90 (132cc)
    '83 Honda ATC70 (88cc)
    '85 Honda ATC250R
    '86 Honda TRX200SX
    '04 Honda 400EX
    '73 Honda Trail 90
    '01 Honda XR70R (125cc)
    '16 KTM 500 EXC

pismorat is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I think I got it figured out. My dad and I were messing around with it today and one of the snap rings came out of its groove, allowing a gear to move ever-so-slightly out of position. THis was the reason it wouldn't rotate freely in each gear. Phew! Tomorrow I'm working towards complete reassembly!
    '78 Honda ATC90 (132cc)
    '83 Honda ATC70 (88cc)
    '85 Honda ATC250R
    '86 Honda TRX200SX
    '04 Honda 400EX
    '73 Honda Trail 90
    '01 Honda XR70R (125cc)
    '16 KTM 500 EXC

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //