//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Oil Drain Plug Busted - 225dx - Pics - Help!!

--

Oil Drain Plug Busted - 225dx - Pics - Help!!

I just bought this 225dx and went to change the oil today. The guy who had it before me must have tightened this thing with every bit he had. Anyway, I was putting pressure on it to loosen it and the bolt that loosens it snapped off completely and left a hole in the center.

How would you guys approach this?

I was either thinking tapping with reverse threads and putting a bolt in there (to try to remove the main plug and go back with an oem plug) or taking some measurement from an extra plug I have and using a dremel cutting wheel to cut a notch or two (without touching the threads) to break it apart.

To be honest I really don't know how to approach this so I thought I would try and get some info from you before I make this into a huge mess (crankcase damage).

Thanks!

Last edited by Yamaha3wheeler; 10-26-2014 at 06:36 PM.

pismorat is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    If possible, I'd use a chisel and a to hit it in the CCW direction from the outer edges. The impacting should help loosen in, plus it should start backing out.
    '78 Honda ATC90 (132cc)
    '83 Honda ATC70 (88cc)
    '85 Honda ATC250R
    '86 Honda TRX200SX
    '04 Honda 400EX
    '73 Honda Trail 90
    '01 Honda XR70R (125cc)
    '16 KTM 500 EXC

--
    That is exactly how I would and have done it before, Pismorat. It works great!

HarrisoN* is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    if the above method doesnt work then id try and dremel the head off so you can spray the threads with some lube and then apply heat and try and pry the threads out or unscrew.

--
    Pismorat,

So just take a chisel and and hit the round edge and try to turn it CCW. Wouldn't it just slip? Maybe I should put a notch (dremel a chunk out) near the edge where it could grip? This sucker is on there tight.
    Last edited by Yamaha3wheeler; 10-26-2014 at 07:24 PM.

--
    Looks like the one on my Warrior. Mine was rounded off, just popped it with my air , loosened it right up.

--
    It is just aluminum, you tap it a few times with the chisel and and it will notch it and should start spinning loose.

--
    It is just aluminum, you tap it a few times with the chisel and and it will notch it and should start spinning loose.

--
    Since you are replacing it. I would heat it up a little with a propane torch and clamp some vice grips on what little meat you have left where that piece sheared. Should unscrew easily if you have applied enough heat.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    and chisel is the cheapest and easiest method I know it is usually not that they over tightened it, most that I have found is they put it back in dirty, have had to do this to 4 motors already. Flip the machine over and you have easy access to it. also you will need a long chisel I got both of mine at a local hardware store for 9$ a piece. I looked over the first plug I had to do this to and saw a few knicks in its threads, which is a good indicator of dirt on it when screwed back in.
    rectum nothin damn near killed them
    feel free to leave feed back for me here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...06#post1119306

--
    Oxidation often locks the drain plugs. You can't really tighten them as tight as this sounds to be without damage. Think about it... if he tightened it as tight as it is, it would have snapped then. I use a two foot cheater to open oil drain plugs on the regular.

Good advice here. Heat, impact, pressure. Notch it, heat it, smack it with a chisel. Per yeagers advice, you can also add vise grips to the mix.

--
    I agree with the heat and vise grip method for this application. Chisel and would be the 2nd option.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //