//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Couple of Tuning Tips

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    Maybe he took too many already?
    -Maybe you're right????
    Previously Owned:
    1985 ATC 250R (261cc)- 38MM PWK QV/AS, VFORCE3, RPM TIMING ADV., FULL DG EXH, CLARKE WHITE TANK, DOUGLAS RED LABELS, PRM NERF BARS, + ALUM. PARTS
    1983 ATC 185S (186cc)- HI COMP., BASSANI HEADER, REAR DISC BRAKE CONV., '86 200X HUBS, ALUM. RIMS, DIRT DEVILS
    1982 ATC 185S (224cc)- PK WELD-ON KIT, PK CLAMPS, PK EXHAUST, SL90 SHOCKS, OIL COOLER, PCCC RIMS
    1981 ATC 185S
    1984 ATC 250R
    1981 ATC 250R
    1983 ATC 110
    1969 HONDA MINI TRAIL 50

TRIKELESS

--
    Anyone want to re-start with a couple of their own tuning tips?

Lets help each other.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post
    Anyone want to re-start with a couple of their own tuning tips?

Lets help each other.
    I volunteer YOU to go first!
    It sucks to get old

--
    Here I go...LOL

Think you want heavier clutch springs, but care about you left hand?

You can mix stock & heavy duty springs and come up with a "Medium duty" spring set.

ONLY do this if you have a even number of springs in your clutch set up. 4-6-8 evenly space them out.

Don't try this on a odd set up like a 5 spring clutch.

I know people that do it and say it works fine, but bench testing by pulling the clutch lever in & out why looking at the clutch assemble and you will see it off kilter. Don't risk the extra wear.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

--
    On dedicated asphalt drag machines we would pull the seals out of the wheel bearings and just shoot a little WD-40 once in a while instead of using grease.

Some guys would have a member of their pit crew wiggle the brake calipers to loosen them up after the burn out to reduce drag.

I always wanted to try filling my frame and tires with helium
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    On dedicated asphalt drag machines we would pull the seals out of the wheel bearings and just shoot a little WD-40 once in a while instead of using grease.

Some guys would have a member of their pit crew wiggle the brake calipers to loosen them up after the burn out to reduce drag.

I always wanted to try filling my frame and tires with helium
    And if you use a standard chain over a O-ring chain or X-ring chain you will gain 1-2 HP on a crank dyno.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    Maybe he took too many already?

So on my 1982 200 big red the open side of the spark plug would face the front of the engine, or towards the exhaust header right?
    Last edited by thcowboy; 09-25-2016 at 11:08 PM.
    1982 big red
    1974 atc 90
    Life is hard, but its harder if you're stupid - John Wayne

--
    Quote Originally Posted by thcowboy View Post
    Aye theres something called medical marijuana

So on my 1982 200 big red the open side of the spark plug would face the front of the engine, or towards the exhaust header right?
    Yes, you got it.

--
    And if you use a standard chain over a O-ring chain or X-ring chain you will gain 1-2 HP on a crank dyno.
    I assume that would be only when the O-ring chain is cold, right?
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I assume that would be only when the O-ring chain is cold, right?
    You don't use a chain on a "Crank dyno"...LOL

--
    You don't use a chain on a "Crank dyno"...LOL
    LOL! Got me good there!
    It sucks to get old

--
    Ronnie, told me and Mike DEEPa to use a good sharp punch and put like 5 evenly spaced dings in the lower case where that base gasket is.

He said they do suck in and this was an easy fix!!

Great stuff here guys.

Just a suggestion, everyone take their brake calipers off and see how the slide pins are; Use silicone grease on those, It helps with drag and even stopping pressure!...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Don't know if this had been covered as I didn't re-read the thread. But when you put together your front end put your,trike on a stand leave all parts loose, place on ground and give it a few good rolls and compressions and lift it back up and tighten up yer front end. Learned that one from my suspension guy on mx bikes. Really does make a difference.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Ronnie, told me and Mike DEEPa to use a good sharp punch and put like 5 evenly spaced dings in the lower case where that base gasket is.

He said they do suck in and this was an easy fix!!

Great stuff here guys.

Just a suggestion, everyone take their brake calipers off and see how the slide pins are; Use silicone grease on those, It helps with drag and even stopping pressure!...

Good mod, on big bore or high compression engines we equally place divets with a automatic punch on the base and head sealing surfaces (4 surfaces total)

No more blown gaskets.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 90nut View Post
    Don't know if this had been covered as I didn't re-read the thread. But when you put together your front end put your,trike on a stand leave all parts loose, place on ground and give it a few good rolls and compressions and lift it back up and tighten up yer front end. Learned that one from my suspension guy on mx bikes. Really does make a difference.
    That works great, I tap a short flat screw driver between the pinch slot, put the bike/trike on the ground, hit the front brake and compress the forks a few times, pull the screw driver out and torque everything.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //