//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New snow tires or chains or both?

--

New snow tires or chains or both?

My 1980 ATC185 has original tire in front and two newer tires in back. They are the typical square knobby tires. I need a little more traction to pull logs out of the woods for fire wood. Are there good snow tires that would make a considerable difference or should I look into chains? Where's a good source for chains?
    Also, the rear tires look smaller than the front. But they have the same size on them. Is it just a optical illusion or do they run larger tires on front?
    Thanks.

--
    Here's a pic with my son riding it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Here ya go for chains... http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-ATV-Tir...8e8bde&vxp=mtr

Nice looking 185!

--
    4snow tire.....not more, you will love it

1986 ATC500X
    1985 ATC250SX
    1985 ATC200X
    1985 ATC250R
    1986 ATC250R
    1984 ATC250R
    1981 ATC70
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70
    Custom built ATC70 / 250R laydwon swap
    1986 ATC250SX FATCAT

--
    Chains....especially when your trails turn to ice! No tire will perform like chains on hardpack or ice. I woule recommend the v bars and 4 link spacing. Turns em into little tractors man.......
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc500x View Post
    4snow tire.....not more, you will love it
    Not sure what you mean. Are you saying a snow specific tire only? What kind?

--

f76 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Knobbie tires vary in actual size. My 110 has a cheng shing on one side and a duro on the other, both 22-11-8 knobbies tires. However the duro is noticeably smaller than the cheng shing while the duro is a bit wider.
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--
    Ok. I ordered the chains. I decided that I didn't want to put snow specific tires on it. The chains said they fit stock tires for the 25-12-9. Since they vary in size so much, I'm not so sure they will fit my tires. If not, I'm sure I could take some links out.
    The smaller tires in back seem to spin easier. What's the idea about tire size. I've seen small in back, small in front, large all around, etc.
    If I wanted to make it look similar to the stock Ohtsu tires, what tire would I look for? Assuming the Ohtsu's are no longer available.

--
    chains and only chains work on ice, a paddle tire is the best tire for snow, i lived in valdez alaska, deep powder!!! i ordered j wheels for the snow and had chains on the stock 25's for ice, both was the only way to go for deep snow. i just found an old snowmobile ski and ratchet strapped it to the front and used a kids slick mat sled for my skidplate to glide across deep powder, the setup worked amazing rarely did this bike ever get stuck even steep uphill snow climbs!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails feb pics 2011 046.jpg  

YamaBoss is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY70MAN View Post
    Turns em into little tractors man.......
    I couldn't resist lol

http://youtu.be/Gc9Btb1xfNY

--
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY70MAN View Post
    Chains....especially when your trails turn to ice! No tire will perform like chains on hardpack or ice. I woule recommend the v bars and 4 link spacing. Turns em into little tractors man.......
    More like a tank. There is absolutely nothing that will stop this thing now!

--
    HamptonT, what chains did you buy? I will be purchasing a set soon, and it seems like you are satisfied with yours.
    Last edited by tripledog; 11-23-2014 at 05:45 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    HamptonT, what chains did you buy? I will be purchasing a set soon, and seems like you are satisfied with yours.
    I bought the ones from the eBay link someone posted above. They came from Forward Powersports. Made by Raider and they are the v groove type. They come with extra links to fit different tire circumference. I have Carlisles on back. They run small so I ended up taking five links out. Takes a bit of work to get the right fit. But once you get it right, your good to go. Easy off, easy on after that.
    They truly transformed the bike. Went from spinning on moderately inclined snow over ice to tank like handling that goes through or up anything.

--
    I think I linked you to the wrong size chains. They are size I need for my 200es. I believe the rims on your 185s are 8", not 9" rims. Sorry about that, but it is nice to hear that they helped out. Hopefully, I will have a set by month's end.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //