//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Tires for ATC185

--

Tires for ATC185

My 1980 ATC185 has original ohtsu front tire. The rear tires were replaced by the previous owner. The rear tires are considerably smaller than the front even though they are listed as the same size.
    The smaller rear tires spin out easier and I get stuck on inclines. Here in MN, we had an early year snow fall. That equates to a nice layer of ice under the snow making the situation worse.
    What tires should I look at that resemble the originals in size?
    What is a good all around tire knowing that I'm going to use chains for most winter months?
    The ATC is mainly used for putzing around in my yard (my son), pulling limbs out of the woods (fire wood) and pulling a portable ice house.
    Thanks for your help.

--
    check out scorpions by kenda i think there good all around

--
    Hey good afternoon If you are looking for the larger size 25x11x8 that came stock on the trike. I may be able to help you. I have OEM stock tires and the Kenda Scorpions. Please PM me .JW

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwheeler View Post
    Hey good afternoon If you are looking for the larger size 25x11x8 that came stock on the trike. I may be able to help you. I have OEM stock tires and the Kenda Scorpions. Please PM me .JW
    The original front Ohtsu is a 25x12-9. I'm not even sure what the numbers mean but I bet the 9 is the bead seat size.
    Sure wish the tire manufactures would put overall circumference in the description. I remember reading in the service manual what the circumference is supposed to be but can't remember. I'll have to get it out again and check.

--
    Look at the two pics. The original tires are much larger. Anyone know what tire make and model that would be more like the original large size tires?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

82300R is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    AHH..Reminds me of my 80 185....Why did I sell it again?? Any way mine was the same way. ORIGINAL front tire.. Had 80 pound apiece wooley boogers on the back when I got it. So I wanted to get back to close to original...So I put on chin shing " Copys." Well the thing is. Even though they are the same "size." They are not the BALOON kinda tires the OUTSHU tire was.... That's just my opinion.. Dam I still have the wooly boogers...LOL...
    I got a roll a quarters an making change !

--
    Yes you are correct OEM was 25x12x9 ,I miss spoke.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 82300R View Post
    AHH..Reminds me of my 80 185....Why did I sell it again?? Any way mine was the same way. ORIGINAL front tire.. Had 80 pound apiece wooley boogers on the back when I got it. So I wanted to get back to close to original...So I put on chin shing " Copys." Well the thing is. Even though they are the same "size." They are not the BALOON kinda tires the OUTSHU tire was.... That's just my opinion.. Dam I still have the wooly boogers...LOL...
    So, if I understand you correctly, the chin shings are similar in size to the original OHTSU tires. But the chin shings may have stiffer side walls and stiffer plys that don't replicate the ride comfort of the OHTSU tires. Right? Thanks.

82300R is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by HamptonT View Post
    So, if I understand you correctly, the chin shings are similar in size to the original OHTSU tires. But the chin shings may have stiffer side walls and stiffer plys that don't replicate the ride comfort of the OHTSU tires. Right? Thanks.
    Yes. I think the chin shings are nylon type. Not as "Bouncy" as the ohtsu type.
    I got a roll a quarters an making change !

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I personally like the dura nobies. Id say they are as close as it gets to the originals. The kendas are nice also but I Dont like the look of them. Rocky Mountain atv has the best deal two tires mounted on two new rims for around 200 dollars. Just don't try and put the rims on the front they dont fit.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	204808I personally like the duro with the v-tread for the rears and the duro knobby on the front. I don't remember what I paid but it wasn't much. I have that set up on my yamahauler.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //