//ArrowChat Code

Thread: YTM200 fork upgrade???

--

YTM200 fork upgrade???

Is there any fork replacement that y'all know of? If not is it possible to replace with an SX triple and go from there? I have been fooling with the front end only to realize that compared to the honda it's pretty $hitty. Thanks.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Bump...........
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

R.J.M. is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I've seen people on here who have put the tri-z front ends on the 225dx, not sure about the ytm200.
    1986 250R
    1985 Tri-Z
    1986 200X (wife's)
    Honda 70's-x4 (kids)

1982 250R project

--
    I'm 99% sure that the 225 and the 200 fronts are the same, so if you can put a Tri-z front on the 225 it should work for the 200, but you still have a solid rear on the 200, so it would be a waste of a decent front end. As bad as the stock 200 front is it's still better than what's on the rear.

I think what I ended up doing on mine was to put a little more 20 weight in than is recommended and stuff an old valve spring on top of each fork spring to take up the slack. It still sucks, but not as bad as the rear suspension does.
    It sucks to get old

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Assuming those forks are in the ball park of what's on the front of the 225's, they are certainly wimpy. I kinda like my stock DR and SX, but those forks on the DR make me want to do something about them. They look like they should be on my Zinger. Like I said, I have a thing for stock bikes in the trail category but the other thing to consider is time and money. If I replace the front of my DR with a Z front, then I'monna hafta do something with the shock on the rear as well. Then it's not stock anymore. Albeit better, and cooler, but not stock. Alright now I'm tempted to do up my DR after all of this "thinking". Do what you want I suppose. Now I'm confused.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Let us assume no more:

YTM 200 FORK P/N 21V-23102-00-35
    DXL FORK P/N 29U-23102-00-35

Springs are the same as well.

Yamaha seems to have identified some identical parts with a prefix of"21V", "24V" or "29U". While rebuilding my 200 I was able to source a few "discontinued" 21V parts by ordering 24V & 29U parts with the same numbers that were still available through Yamaha. I'm pretty sure one of my fork legs is original and the other is off a used 225 front end I bought, so I have no doubt to the compatibility.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Thanks guys I was just weighing my options because my forks are bent and from dealing with them previously are just pi$$ poor design. I would like something a little more reliable and maintenance friendly. I wonder if I could bore the triples to accept 200x forks.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoozy27 View Post
    Thanks guys I was just weighing my options because my forks are bent and from dealing with them previously are just pi$$ poor design. I would like something a little more reliable and maintenance friendly. I wonder if I could bore the triples to accept 200x forks.
    If you do, please post the process. I'm sure a lot of folks on here would like to ditch the stock forks on these Yamahas. I would guess your fit and function test starts with the distance between the fork tubes. If the Yamaha is wider then a bore and a set of custom spacers should do the trick. If the Honda is wider you'll have to make sure you have wiggle room to tighten up the spacers. You should be able to deal with any length issues by raising or lowering the tubes in the tree. The last thing you want on that YTM is more height on the front, it's already wheelie prone
    It sucks to get old

--
    Oh yes it is and I will take that all into perspective when I make my decision. Thanks for the input guys.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--

--
    Interesting... Thanks!
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Okay, did a little searching around the yard and found a Honda Nighthawk 250 that I got for free a few months ago. Tore the motor down only to find that it was dead. (Big surprise) But the rest of the bike is in fairly decent shape. Long story short, it has 31mm forks that look rather sturdy and the axle looks to be the same diameter as the yamahauler. So, I'm gonna take a shot at stuffing the forks into the ytm triples. I figure its worth a shot.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    just for the record ytm 200 triples will drop right into a 225 and vice versa, also I have yet to bottom my stock 225 front suspension out yet, my rear is a different story, and I have came off of a 10 foot drop when I bottomed out the rear. My front shocks were rebuilt prior to my purchasing of it so not sure what has been done inside, but mine are stiff.
    rectum nothin damn near killed them
    feel free to leave feed back for me here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...06#post1119306

--
    Yeah my 200 shocks are pretty stiff too. They are just SOB to maintain, and they are are bent!! I would like something that has threaded caps. The lock rings are stupid and pointless to me so I am going to experiment w/ what's out there. A buddy who I get parts from has a lead on a 225 parts bike that runs and I may pull the trigger on a deal. I would like to keep it in the Tri-family because I love my yamahauler but I will do what is the most economical in this situation. Thanks for the input.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //