//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1981 Big Red Problem Question

--
    I'll go get the model number. I could have sworn it was an 81. I will go look right now...

--
    Correction. It's a 1984 ATC200ES Big Red Manufactured in Japan in 11/83.

--
    How much would a new carb be for one of these?

--
    New Chinese carbs probably around $30. Hang on to the old one though if you go that route, cause I bet there's nothing wrong with it other than dirty.

One thought, have you checked for spark when it won't start? Sometimes the coils warm up and don't work right. The CDI can do that too. If an 81 has CDI, IDK. o I would definitely check it next time it won't fire up. In order to check for spark, pull the boot off off the spark plug and have your wife put her pinky finger in the end of the wire. Then crank it several time. If she gets really PO'D at you, you know it's got spark. (Na. You should see it jump to the head, or put a spark plug tester on it)

I still wonder if it isn't getting the carb plugged though. If it has spark while not starting I'd look at fuel delivery.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    New Chinese carbs probably around $30. Hang on to the old one though if you go that route, cause I bet there's nothing wrong with it other than dirty.

One thought, have you checked for spark when it won't start? Sometimes the coils warm up and don't work right. The CDI can do that too. If an 81 has CDI, IDK. o I would definitely check it next time it won't fire up. In order to check for spark, pull the boot off off the spark plug and have your wife put her pinky finger in the end of the wire. Then crank it several time. If she gets really PO'D at you, you know it's got spark. (Na. You should see it jump to the head, or put a spark plug tester on it)

I still wonder if it isn't getting the carb plugged though. If it has spark while not starting I'd look at fuel delivery.
    One question. Wouldn't the warm coils do that every time though? This is why I, like most everyone else that has talked to me about it, still think it is the carb getting gunk in it as well. I'm going to have to just grow a pair and attempt to take it off and see if I can figure out what's going on.

--
    An intermittent break in the CDI or deteriorated coil can be finicky, they can fail when they get hot, but usually, they go ahead and completely quit before too long--but it's easy to check. Just check it for spark when it won't start.

If it runs good when it runs, chances are it's the carb. It's really a simple carb, and I think it's easy to do, but I've also been doing it since I was 15, so I do understand your apprehension. Wish I could walk you through it. Just be extremely careful and gentle with everything you do. Take lots of pics with your phone to know how it all goes back together.

You begin by taking the throttle cable loose by unscrewing the cap at the top of the carb. Carefully pull the needle and slide out the top of the carb, and lay it aside being careful not to let the needle bump against anything that might damage it. It is very sensitive.

Then remove the fuel hose and set it aside. It's always a good idea to plug the end with a 1/4" bolt to keep dirt from entering the fuel line while you have the carb off.

Then loosen the clamps where the carb connects to the air box and also the intake to the engine. Do not remove the intake where it bolts on to the engine. Just leave it in place. Once the clamps are loose, you should be able to gently work the carb free and get it out onto your bench.

If you get this far, I can probably walk you through the rest, if you want. Do you have a Service Manual for this threewheeler?

It's not hard to take it apart if you can be careful and are able to work with small parts. I can't stress that enough. This is a job that requires patience and a calm approach. All you really have to do is take it apart, clean it out with spray carb cleaner, and compressed air, and then put it back exactly as it was. If you can post pics here, that would be helpful.

--
    An intermittent break in the CDI or deteriorated coil can be finicky, they can fail when they get hot, but usually, they go ahead and completely quit before too long--but it's easy to check. Just check it for spark when it won't start.

If it runs good when it runs, chances are it's the carb. It's really a simple carb, and I think it's easy to do, but I've also been doing it since I was 15, so I do understand your apprehension. Wish I could walk you through it. Just be extremely careful and gentle with everything you do. Take lots of pics with your phone to know how it all goes back together.

You begin by taking the throttle cable loose by unscrewing the cap at the top of the carb. Carefully pull the needle and slide out the top of the carb, and lay it aside being careful not to let the needle bump against anything that might damage it. It is very sensitive.

Then remove the fuel hose and set it aside. It's always a good idea to plug the end with a 1/4" bolt to keep dirt from entering the fuel line while you have the carb off.

Then loosen the clamps where the carb connects to the air box and also the intake to the engine. Do not remove the intake where it bolts on to the engine. Just leave it in place. Once the clamps are loose, you should be able to gently work the carb free and get it out onto your bench.

If you get this far, I can probably walk you through the rest, if you want. Do you have a Service Manual for this threewheeler?

It's not hard to take it apart if you can be careful and are able to work with small parts. I can't stress that enough. This is a job that requires patience and a calm approach. All you really have to do is take it apart, clean it out with spray carb cleaner, and compressed air, and then put it back exactly as it was. If you can post pics here, that would be helpful.
    I do not have a service manual. When the throttle cable comes loose and I open it up, is there a screw in there?

--
    PM sent, let me know if you need help in obtaining a manual

--
    PM sent, let me know if you need help in obtaining a manual
    Got it. Thanks Devilsclaw!

--
    Well, I'm going to work on this tonight/tomorrow with my dad and see if we can't figure out the problem. Time will tell!

--
    I've gone out and worked on it a little by myself again. I took the tank off. I then started it and it started right up. I ran it until all of the gas was out of the line. I then put the tank back on with new gas and turned the gas on and it wouldn't start. I pulled the air filter off and sprayed some starter fluid in there as suggested in this thread. It wouldn't start then either. I pulled the spark plug and cleaned it up, which it really wasn't that dirty, and put it back in. I tried the starter fluid in the air box again but nothing. I am back in again scratching my head and my dad and I are going to try it again. I tried to start it both times that I've worked on it and it's started right up. It will run for a few minutes and then die. Once it dies after warming up, it won't start for anything. Any suggestions this time?

--
    When it's not starting remove the spark plug, plug it back in, ground it to the motor and check for spark. If you have no spark, it's electrical. If you have spark, it's fuel delivery. As stated before, you need three basic things to make it run. Spark, compression, and fuel. You need to run the tests to see which one is missing. Since it does run, you can forget about compression.

I'm still not convinced that you're getting proper fuel delivery.

--
    You must check for spark when it's in the no start condition. Once you've done that, then you'll know what of the two areas to focus on. It could be as simple as a corroded wire that is intermittent but until you check you don't know. Let us know what you find.

--
    If it has spark (and plug is DRY) put one drop of gasoline down the spark plug hole and reinstall the plug. If it fires once or twice after doing that you know it is fuel delivery of some sort.
    Last edited by Devilsclaw; 11-29-2014 at 10:19 AM.

B-1B is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --
    You can find a cheap Chinese Clone Carb online for about $25. They may not necessary be the greatest, but they work.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //