//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1981 Big Red Problem Question

--
    Don't go Chinese man, results vary but I think an oem carb should be fine with a good cleaning as long as it isn't physically damaged. Hunters problem is definitely electrical. The 200 are notorious for the screwy wiring.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoozy27 View Post
    Don't go Chinese man, results vary but I think an oem carb should be fine with a good cleaning as long as it isn't physically damaged. Hunters problem is definitely electrical. The 200 are notorious for the screwy wiring.
    I'm beginning to think it's electrical too. When it won't start with ether after it dies tells me that it's electrical. Not sure though. Dad's gonna help me check for spark because I've never seen that done and I don't know how to do it at all.

--
    Well, I just checked for spark. It has good spark. That's not the issue. I pulled the plug wire off and put a screwdriver in it. It sparked a good 3/16". Then, I pulled the plug and inserted it in the spark plug wire. I still had a 3/16" spark jump from the tang of the plug to a ground. It's not the spark. It's something else. At least I think. Now, I'm back to thinking it must be a fuel issue. Gee whiz. I'm gonna lose all of the hair I have left working on this thing. One thing about it though, I'm going to learn more about engines!

--
    I just placed an order for a new carb. Will be here by Friday, maybe earlier. Now if I can just figure out how to install it. Hopefully that will fix it! If so, it will be a cheap fix!

--
    I'm dying to get my carb in the mail. I really don't know if that will fix it but I'm sure hoping it will!

--
    Well, I got the carb. The only problem is, I have no idea how to remove the old carb, much less put this one on! Are there any tutorials that I can watch on the internet to show how? I've searched but can't find any. Thanks!

B-1B is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --
    Try this site:
    oscarmayer.net/ATC/manuals/
    There's probably a service manual on there that could help you out with step-by-step procedures for carb replacement.

oile is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    when you checked spark did you check it right after it died or did you check it later on?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oile View Post
    when you checked spark did you check it right after it died or did you check it later on?
    Both. Well, I checked it before I even tried to start it. Then after I started it and it died, I checked it again. Then, I checked it again after a few hours had gone by. I had good spark every time.

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    have you checked your spark advancer if it is damaged or broken it could make your bike die and not want to start.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86125m View Post
    have you checked your spark advancer if it is damaged or broken it could make your bike die and not want to start.
    What is a spark advancer? I'm VERY NEW to working on motors of any kind, so pardon my ignorance!

--
    it is the part under the cover that says CDI take that cover off and the gold ring which is the pick up. Then look at the part that looks like this http://www.dratv.com/277w.html. If it is damaged this could be you problem and it needs to be replaced. You can either buy the new one that is in my link or find a used one on ebay any advancer from any of the atc 200 series will work. I know it made things on my 200m screwy. Oh don't worry about ignorance we learn by asking questions I only know because it took me hours to find out what had gone wrong with my bike.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86125m View Post
    it is the part under the cover that says CDI take that cover off and the gold ring which is the pick up. Then look at the part that looks like this http://www.dratv.com/277w.html. If it is damaged this could be you problem and it needs to be replaced. You can either buy the new one that is in my link or find a used one on ebay any advancer from any of the atc 200 series will work. I know it made things on my 200m screwy. Oh don't worry about ignorance we learn by asking questions I only know because it took me hours to find out what had gone wrong with my bike.
    Well, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is, I got the new carb put on. The bad news is, it's still doing the same thing. It fired right up when I hit the starter. It ran, albeit a little rough, but it ran. I did have to keep it about 1/4 choked and had the throttle held in a bit. I ran it like this for about 2 minutes. I then got on, put it in gear, made it all of about 2 feet, and it died. And now, again, it won't start. I checked the spark again then and it's still got good spark. I'm just about at a loss.

86125m I don't know where you're talking about that part being. If you could describe it a little better, I'd try to find it.

--
    the cover that its under looks like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Honda-A...-/200930753310.

--
    Well, I'll look at that tomorrow. I'm too frustrated to look at it anymore tonight. I know 3 things. I have great spark all the way through the plug, I have great compression, and I have fuel running at least through the carb. I'm gonna scratch my head on it some more tomorrow and then look at it when I get home from work.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //