//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250 big red finding neutral ?

--

250 big red finding neutral ?

I have a 250es engine that came with no side cases. I need to find neutral so I can re-assemble it ...tried shifting it but cannot find neutral...I re-assembled it but the manual gives instruction for it being in neutral and upon completing assembly it wont shift at all...so gonna tear it back apart if I can figure it out...
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dustrunner View Post
    I have a 250es engine that came with no side cases. I need to find neutral so I can re-assemble it ...tried shifting it but cannot find neutral...I re-assembled it but the manual gives instruction for it being in neutral and upon completing assembly it wont shift at all...so gonna tear it back apart if I can figure it out...
    Hmmm, so any backstory?
    Did it ever run that you know of?
    Generally, it should shift with the covers off and the back wheels propped up so you can see stuff going on.
    Easy to rock wheels, or more accurately, rotate the wheels as you try to shift
    As far as not shifting with the covers on? I'm sure you are careful. but I did have one with a loose
    'threaded pin' in the end of the shift drum that was binding and I could get lucky and find neutral
    with 20 or 30 attempts.

What I'm trying to say / ask. is:
    Maybe it was apart because it wouldn't shift and then you got it?
    Everything looks good and you put the covers back on and it won't shift.
    so...if you take the left cover back off, and prop the wheels so they can rotate, it should shift beautifully
    when you shift it and rotate the back wheels so it clicks ever so wonderfully into and out of gear, including the magical neutral.
    If not, it could be a loose or bent pin in the end of the shift drum, which is what mine did.
    We should be working trikes later today if you want to call me.

yeah, more info would help if you've got any.
    did it run good, loaned out , bent shifter and now no shift at all??
    That type story would help.
    Garage sale find, cheap, no info, couldn't resist .
    Hang in there.
    GREAT machines.
    search key for something like "sx shift" or "es shift" (same animal) should get you quite a few pages too.
    A few of us went thru this at the same time a couple years ago and I think it was flyingW that posted some gorgeous pictures.
    Last edited by tri again; 12-17-2014 at 08:57 AM.

--
    any new news?

--
    neutral is all the way down or all the way up depending on yr. remember on a shaft drive, neutral still feels like it is engaged when compared to a chain drive. You will know after trying to push the bike for 10 feet if it is in N or not. If in N it will be hard to roll but will let the tires roll at least. If it is not in N rear tires will NOT move.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    neutral is all the way down or all the way up depending on yr. remember on a shaft drive, neutral still feels like it is engaged when compared to a chain drive. You will know after trying to push the bike for 10 feet if it is in N or not. If in N it will be hard to roll but will let the tires roll at least. If it is not in N rear tires will NOT move.
    1985? es / sx neutral is all the way down.
    Most are up shift but I'd like to think someone thought that if a trike was running and you
    climbed on and stepped on the shifter accidentally, you'd confirm neutral
    as opposed to stomping it into gear as you're getting on.

I put one in my truck, put it in first so it wouldn't roll, or so I thought.
    Got back in the truck, hit the gas ever so slightly and the trike rolled out the back of the truck.

so?
    If it's in gear, it won't roll forward but WILL roll backward..and out the back of the truck in my case.

--
    good times!

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //