//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: It's all wood

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    The wood bricks are made compressed sawdust that is harvested from sawmills. I have used them several times, but they aren't ideal for my application. They burn TOO hot for my 1,200 square foot house, and they seem to burn and leave no coals. Also, make sure they stay dry. They are very absorbent! I had some stacked outside my front door, they got rained on and, even though they were still in plastic packaging, blew up like little life rafts.
    Last edited by tripledog; 02-18-2015 at 07:42 AM.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

It's all wood

I've had this US Stove wood furnace for just over four years at this point and wanted to check back in about it now.

First of all, DO NOT BUY ANY US STOVE PRODUCTS EVER.

When I first got this unit, I figured out fairly quickly that the grates in these melt if "overfired". The grates are sub par and if you are aware of this fact and follow certain rules, you can make them last. In my opinion, this company should not be allowed to sell these furnaces with the grates they currently do. The grates melt far too easily. The first grate I had was never "seasoned". Apparently that was my fault, but the company sent me a replacement because my furnace was almost new still. The second time it melted from operator error, but it wasn't me. My roommate never cleaned the ash pan, so then the grate would be completely covered in ash and embers with no air flow going over it to feed the fire and cool the grate. He essentially buried the grate in embers, so that was definitely his fault. He also melted the piece that holds the grate up when he did that, but I didn't know that at the time. I figured that out a year or two later, so then that piece had to be replaced as well.

The fire bricks are sub par and are no good after about 3 years.

The door hardware looks like an afterthought and falls apart constantly.

The way they introduce air to the firebox causes an uneven burn every time. That's not a huge deal at all really, this thing does burn great. It just showed me that nobody is concerned with the engineering of these because of things like that.

Their replacement parts are ridiculously overpriced. I always attributed that to the fact that they're made in the USA, but I was wrong. US Stove products are actually made in China. I never knew that before today and I'm pretty bent about this whole thing right now. I'm about to get in touch with Tractor Supply Company because after what I've read, US Stove themselves has zero regard for customer satisfaction or a quality product.

The nail in the coffin that got me to write this today, I found a crack in my furnace last night. If you know anything about furnaces, that's it. It's done. It's no good anymore. It's just a tiny crack, but it's not going to stay that way. The furnace looks brand new still. It makes great heat, it heats this house wonderfully, I've been happy with it overall despite it's flaws. I've put two grates in it, a grate mounting plate, fire bricks, and I only paid $1200 for it brand new, so it's heated my house for free for four years. $1200 is cheap, but if they told me it was going to die after four years of use, I wouldn't have bought it. The furnace looks brand new still, it doesn't even get used every day. I only use it if the temperature gets below 30 degrees or else it will blast you right out of the house, so with a winter like this it hasn't gotten used a whole helluva lot. We had a solid week or so where it was running, but other than that it just gets lit here and there. So for something that gets used relatively occasionally, this is definitely a premature failure.

In the grand scheme of things, it was cheap. It's still bee ess though, and I have a huge problem with the US Stove company as well as Tractor Supply Company right now. I'll just have to factor in a replacement furnace with the house sale. That's something I shouldn't have to do right now.

Here are some reviews anyone considering US Stove should read.

https://www.furnacecompare.com/wood-...stove/reviews/
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    ^ Furnace?? Bryant or Trane, Payne is exactly the same as Bryant and 20% cheaper, just different labels...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //