//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: It's all wood

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

It's all wood

As many know, I heat my home with a wood stove. Always have, always will. I've gone the last 3 winters without using any oil, the tank for the boiler is empty. We have an electric hot water heater and the wood stove for heat, that's it. The house is currently uninsulated, but the walls are getting insulated this month. I'll probably do the ceiling myself in the spring or something. The windows are original and would probably keep more heat in if I opened them. My first winter in this house I ran the stove with no liner, just 4 feet or so of black pipe going into the chimney. The rest of the flu was wide open and thus I lost massive amounts of heat up the flu. Not only that, but with a pipe that short on a wood stove it just won't run right. Take your pipe off your 250R and take it for a rip and you'll understand what I mean. Once I installed the 6" stainless liner the house was heating much, much better. The heat loss up the flu was addressed and the stove was running the way it should be. I went from having to clean that black pipe two or three times per winter to never having to clean the liner and a stove that put out gobs of heat. Still, my roommate is chilly in the converted porch in the back of the house and the cold mornings suck as well. The oil fired boiler was an option to consider, but it was spent. It was probably at 3% efficiency or so, maybe less. It smelled, it looked like holy hell, rust everywhere, leaks... I was just kind of sitting idle for the moment as I don't have the 6k or whatever to go drop on a boiler that I don't "need". Craig is a furnace/boiler guy and he was gonna hook me up really good, but then I found out about indoor wood furnaces.

My coworker was telling me about his and I thought how nifty that sounds. 12 hour burn time, takes big logs, ducted heating... That would solve a lot of my problems. But I don't have the dough for that. Then he told me it was like $1300 brand new, just honk on down to Tractor Supply Company. I went by his house after work to see his in action, went home to shower, then drove over to Tractor Supply. That night I ordered a stainless chimney liner for it (as it will be in a different chimney than the stove so I can keep both) and a pyrometer so I can see what the EGT's are from upstairs as it is in the basement. The furnace was $1220 after taxes, the liner $180 (which somehow showed up at my door in under 24 hours after ordering it on Ebay), $100 for a pyrometer. That's what I've got so far, but the ducting is going to be more dough obviously.

I had the best duct guy I know come over, was it Jesus? No, no it wasn't. Let's just call him "Dirtcrasher", and he "built" the entire system on paper using a CFM calculator as well as some other tools and know how. I initially was just going to fire some holes through the floor and run a couple ducts, done. Well I'm glad I decided not to touch anything until Steve came by. He suggested ripping the entire old heating system out, boiler and all. I balked at the concept but I knew right off he was right. I slept on it and this morning the first thing I did when I got up was go down and rip the boiler out. If I ever need to convert back to oil I'd just install a forced hot air furnace in the ducting we're going to be putting up. Ta-daa! Today I ripped the boiler and much of the plumbing out, but I'm going to rip all of the baseboard system right out of the house as well. I'll keep 'er updated!

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    We have that same furnace in the shop at work. It works really nice. Has some good blowers on it. It does take some time to heat up though.

--
    Johnny, let me know what day you can get out a bit early and we'll pick up the materials.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Nice. An add on wood furnace such as that will make a world of difference. Don't hold your breath on the 12
    Hour burn time if that's what the manufacturer claims.

I have a outdoor wildfired boiler. I like it except for the part about falling asleep on the couch after work then having to get up and go out in the cold to fire it.
    my feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-hoosierlogger

TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Current rides
    Taurus 650 (green)
    85 250es big red
    83 ALT50 (5 year old daughters)
    82 ALT50
    82 ALT50
    84 atc 70 stroked big bore 90 STILL in progress.
    71 QA50
    93 TRX 300 FW

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Ya'll are the biggest bunch of whining b!tches I've seen in my entire life.
    You might be strong as an ox, but without a cart you are just a big dumb animal.

briano is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I love wood heat, nice warm floors all the time and it's constant heat. The forced air fuel oil furnace we have is pretty much just for back up, I hate the ups and downs with temps from the oil furnace. You set the thermostat to say 70, the furnace comes on and then shuts off at 70 but the blower runs for a couple minutes after that to cool the furnace down so your house gets up to say 74. It don't sound like much difference but as you sit there you can feel the temp dropping before the furnace comes on again. The only thing I don't like about wood is when the outside temps are around 30 or more my stove is too much, it will get the house up to 85 to 90 degrees, I've been working on controlling the stove draft a bit better to help and I'm getting the hang of it, otherwise we just open a window. I actually like the exercise and manual labor involved, I go out and cut all of my own wood, split and pile it.

Good luck with the new stove, I think you will really like it. A friend of mine has the same one and says he gets a little over 8 hours of good heat out of it, my Daka will do maybe 6 hours compared to the advertised 10. When they say 12 hour burn time, it will go for 12 but the last couple hours it's just a few embers left.

--
    I did some heat source updates myself this year. last year was abnormally cold but when it was all said and done it cost me around 3500.00 to heat my 1200sq ft house to 62 degrees using oil and an electric space heater. I went with a wood pellet insert for my fireplace.So far it may be my best purchase ever, since October 10th I have used 240.00 worth of pellets and the house has been a balmy 67 degrees. Best of all I have used exactly 0.00 dollars worth of heating oil.

--
    That looks like it's going to be a nice upgrade. With the nice wood you have out East you should have no problem with 8+ hours on a good chunk of oak. My father in law has a ducted wood furnace and it works awesome.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    I was fascinated by pex tubing so I ran some into my shop
    to heat the floor from hot water from the woodstove and it cost almost nothing.
    Might just add some around the windows to take advantage of the
    cold convection falling off the windows.
    Just gotta be super critical about pressures when heating water,
    or watch the mythbusters waterheater episode.
    Blew a water heater through the roof and about 300 feet into the air.

LOVE the looks of that new stove.
    You deserve nice stuff.

--
    That looks like the boiler I ripped out 20 years ago.Think it was 20 years old then.Man what a chunk!

--
    I too heat with wood. You might get a 12hr burn from seasoned wood.
    3 CR500R's and counting. Do I really need 4???
    Do I really need 9 Tigers?
    Laegers ATC500R
    DO NOT send any thing to whats his face (dirt-face/crasher) here on the board. What a scum bag. He screwed (stole) money from me and screwed me on my ME360 and Hondaline 300R engine rebuilds.

--
    I think I read that you and DC are running the ducting yourselves? That's awesome and will save a ton of $. That thought used to scare me but the more I think about it as long as you have a brake I suppose it would be painless. Of course mine would be held together with rivets; no fancy seams here. Back in 1993 I ripped out the electric baseboards in my 1000 sq/ft home and had a gas furnace and ducting installed. The tin work was charged out at $2.00 per sq/ft of house size, ouch!
    Trikes
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Yep, Steve knows what he's doing with the duct work. He was a union sheet metal hanger for quite some time. I'm sure whatever I came up with myself would have worked, kind of, but it wouldn't have been done correctly. Yet another reason to thank Steve for helping me out yet again.

Here's our current heat source. It's at one side of the house so it takes a while to get the other side of the house warm unless the stove is going constantly, which is something I used to be able to do. Over the last couple years I've been burning green wood and I'm not home as much as I used to be, so I haven't been able to keep it going around the clock. It's a Russo WC2 and it can burn coal or wood but I just burn wood. Russo products were founded and manufactured in Holbrook, MA, which is a stone's throw from where I live. This stove drafts like a jet engine when used in conjunction with the stainless steel chimney liner. Sometimes it glows red. Just about everyone that has come over and burns wood is taken aback at how well this stove drafts. You can't get away with burning green, wet pine with most stoves. Once you get this thing hot you can burn ice cubes in it.

It's a great stove and will stay in place and still be 100% functioning. The stove is on a different chimney than the furnace.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Wow is that rollin'. I'm sure you've seen those convection fans that sit on top. A bit pricey up this way but you could probably get it cheaper. They work nice. I can almost smell that burning wood fragrance......I miss that in my life.
    Last edited by coolpool; 12-12-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Trikes
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    I heat with a 1985 Shenandoah R65 woodstove that I bought from a friend. The best $55 dollars that I ever spent, and I have been heating with it exclusively for 15 years. It drafts very well, but the spark arrestor screen on the stainless triple wall chimney cap seems to plug quickly, even though I burn seasoned hardwood only. If it weren't for the problematic screen, I could clean the chimney from the ground. I am thinking of removing the screen. Being in my mid fifties and walking on a metal roof to remove the chimney cap to clean it is a recipe for a hospital visit. Sorry for the slight thread derailment Fabio, but it IS wood related. I am willing to bet that you are going to enjoy your new wood furnace immensely.

--

Dave little!!!

So I got the chimney liner in and the exhaust pipes all hooked up on the furnace today with the help of DAVE LITTLE! We spent a few hours working on the furnace and eating pizza and then fired it up, sans ducting of course. It works absolutely fantastic even without any ductwork! I've had the stove off for a few hours with just the furnace going and it's really nice in here. It's probably only been going for two hours, so I can imagine how it's going to be when it's all done!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //