//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building a Plow for my 1986 Big Red. PIC HEAVY. PLOW IS DONE!!! PICS PAGE 2 01-14-15

andersonee4 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Building a Plow for my 1986 Big Red. PIC HEAVY. PLOW IS DONE!!! PICS PAGE 2 01-14-15

So I sold the SX I rebuilt about 2 years ago. Since then, I have been actively looking for a 1986 Big Red in good shape and also in my price range of broke. Last spring, my old man called me to tell me Mr. Sanders down the road had passed away, and his widow was liquidating his stuff. He had a three wheeler, What it was, I didn't know, but I remember seeing him ride it 2 or three times when I was a kdi. I told him to jump on it and get me some info. I told him the model I was looking for and told him the problem areas to look at, and told him I could afford to spend $1200 on it, if it was right.

He called me a couple days later and asked me how much I would pay again. I said $1200. He said, "Well, it's a big red, 86, and in pretty good shape, and everything you told me to look at was okay". I said "okay, go buy it". He said "It's on the back of the truck. Gave $300 for it". I was shocked to say the least. I felt a little guilty too, since she probably had no idea what it was worth. Dad said he tried to give her more, but she wouldn't take it. Well you can't sell it for them too. SOOOOO... I finally got it here (2000 miles away) this past fall and as near as I can tell, I'm the second owner. I've been in the market for a plow, and either have been unlucky or too poor for one.

The trike has a skid plate, that appears to be the hondaline one. Mr. Sanders cut off the heel guards though. It has the side cover too, which is not in the photos. I want to keep the skid plate and the plow mounts on it at all times. The problem i realized pretty quickly is the skid plate mounts to the outside of the foot peg, and the plow mounts to the inside. The skid plate is also about 3/8" wider than the frame, which causes a pretty poor fit of the pegs. These problems cause more problems for what I want to do. Nonetheless, I found away around it and the following pictures show my work this evening.

The ATC

The Idea

The Guard

Some Steel from old bed frame

Then some stuff happened and I forgot to take photos

Had these left over from a trailer hitch install

Used a washer for a spacer, so after its welded and pins are used, it will have about an 8th inch of play

Had to go on the outside of the peg, So that's the reason for the ridiculous shape.

Test fit

You can see in this photo that the skid plate is too wide as the brackets are tipped in. I will correct this tip with Spacers. Since this was a test fit, I don't care

More Test fitting

After trimming some corners and grinding for a while, Paint.

More to come. I know I don't lay the prettiest welds, But we all gotta learn somehow. PS. The machine is older than I am.

My humble shop I built last fall. Just put gas lines in to it and installed my natural gas heater today, has insulation, concrete floor, roll up door, electric, 110 and 220v, 4 circuits, cold storage, steel topped bench, and an AC.
    Last edited by andersonee4; 01-15-2015 at 12:55 AM.
    1985 Honda 250sx. Ground up rebuild. SOLD
    1986 Honda 250es Big Red with custom plow

Don't waste your time, or time will waste you.

Legns is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    looks good so far and the trike looks good too keep us updated I have been kicking around the idea of a plow for mine as well so I would like to see how this turns out

--

Just a little tighter than i was hoping for, but It will work.

--
    That last pic just the angle of picture or is your front that close to rubbing? Looks nice...
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY70MAN View Post
    That last pic just the angle of picture or is your front that close to rubbing? Looks nice...
    The tire actually only has about a 1/2 inch of clearance. However, the frame will never lift that high.

So I picked up a Bolens plow for a mower today for el cheapo, dickering skills definitely mastered. Turns out that I couldn't have found a more perfect setup. Has trip springs, and has five angle settings. Very simple design, and was only 20 miles away. Good score to say the least

My frame was made from 1-1/4" Square 10ga steel
    The spacing fromt the top swivel plate to the bottom was 1-1/2"
    These pictures are of the bolens mower frame removed from the swivel plates

MOck up and Test fitting, its almost as if i built this frame specifically for this plow. Not the case, but I was happy. My goal was to keep the setup as small and as tight to the trike as possible.I dont have a pipe bender, So I am happy with the way this is turning out.

Clamping, Measuring, tacking, measuring, re tacking, and welding.

You can see the spacer on this photo, I just laid some 1/4" flat bar on the frame and welded it, then welded the swivel plate to that, Then stiched everything together.

Fitting after welding

Next will be the lift mechanism, and spring retainer for the pivot. The skid plate is going to be a problem for this part. Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.

--
    Got some "shorts" from the local welding shop for 3 bucks, so i started on lift handle tonight.

Welded round steel 15/16" rod between frame rails making sure to space the mounts properly. Slid 1" pipe over it before welding. Also welded a bunch of gussets on.

Welded lift point to bottom of skid plate, as much as I didn't want to, this was, as far as I could tell, my only option. Looking back, I should have just made the brakets part of the skid plate, but until this point I wasn't going to weld at all on the skid plate. Since the heel hoops had been cut off, I figured the value hasn't decreased any. I may try to re create the heel hoops, but at a later date.

To say this idea is original would be a lie. Stolen the idea from you tube videos of the Cycle Country plow.

Next will be building locking mechanisms for the blade angle and the lift handle. After that, paint and done.

--

--
    Nice job. That should work nicely.

--
    Super nice work. I'm very impressed with your work shop lay out as well.

Looking forward to seeing in action !

john

--
    I found some information on a website that cycle country used to make wheel weights for three and four wheelers back in 1986. Is there any chance anyone on here has a set for sale or knows where there are some that I can get. There doesn't appear to be any manufacturers in the market today that sell wheel weights for ATV's.

Legns is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Very nice good job I like it definitely have to do something like this for my trike

--
    WOW! nice plow build

Nice shop too. Looks much bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    WOW! nice plow build

Nice shop too. Looks much bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside.
    Thanks for the compliments. I will be painting it after the new year to appear as a factory option, with big red decals and all. The Shed is 10x16 with a five foot cold storage area. It is a tight fit to work in, but it's what i have and I'm happy to have it.

--
    Had the plow sandblasted and sprayed with primer.

Also had new cutting edge made, holes punched.
    And also had 30" decal made for plow face

--

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //