//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Needle bearing in 250R case for shift-shaft support/smoothness

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries

Needle bearing in 250R case for shift-shaft support/smoothness

I was looking at this on my Rotax cases the other day (They are getting ready to come back apart and do some touch ups before I start throwing bearings and trans in them ) and I wondered if you couldn't put a needle bearing the size of the shifting shaft to slide through and ride in? It looks like with some welding there would be plenty of room to do it, and would have to shift smoother and would have to work better since it wouldn't be riding right on the aluminum directly -any thoughts?

--
    nice idea, we have a Chinese motor that had that last yr when racing, the issue I discovered was the "seal" used was small and did not properly keep out the dust and dirt, this allowing extra trash into the case there when normally it would not be an issue. On my friend's R we had a machine ship cut a small groove all around the center in the shifter hole of the stock case (similar to a piston clip retainer grove). We then used axle grease in the hold and when we shoved the shifter through it felt like butter. 5 yrs later still perfect and butter. that may be your fixing. allows you to keep stock seal and ensures no extra trash while lubing shaft for smoothness.

that may also be an easier approach than trying to use needle bearings.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    I was looking at this on my Rotax cases the other day (They are getting ready to come back apart and do some touch ups before I start throwing bearings and trans in them ) and I wondered if you couldn't put a needle bearing the size of the shifting shaft to slide through and ride in? It looks like with some welding there would be plenty of room to do it, and would have to shift smoother and would have to work better since it wouldn't be riding right on the aluminum directly -any thoughts?
    sounds like a great idea to me.....prevents wear on the shaft journal where it`s aluminum.....keeps the shaft stable to keep the flex and wear on the seal lips to a minimum which I would guess would make them last longer....sounds like a no-brainer

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Could I get one of ya'll generous fellows to slide a caliper over a shift shaft you have laying around this afternoon? I'm at work and anxious to look up bearings in my spare time

If not I'll take a look at one later this evening.

--
    Blog Entries
    Great power of the internet;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1414234...ectorid=229466

14x24x6mm

--
    Absolutely. Shift drums have needles on one side and with your shops equipment, you can make anything happen.

Personally, although I love all your work, the simplest was the best; That hill climbing front grab bar you made to save the rags as they tumble!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Back when I was gutting these weekly,this was one of my ideas. No reason it wont work great, and I think the meat is there no problem! Make it happen lol!
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    Good idea, it could also be a good way to fix a worn out hole that creates a seal leaking problem.

--
    Blog Entries
    Needle bearings are dirt cheap on ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390656479121

Think I'll give it a whirl

--
    Can wait to see the photos of your Dad checking it out!

Never could figure out why the factories don't at least put a bronze insert in applications that have the shafts sticking way out of the cases. Some old street bikes have worn the hole in the sprocket cover out so badly that you can't keep the seals from leaking. I used to wrap the shift shafts with brass shim stock and flair it out to keep it in place all the while wishing they came with a caged needle bearing.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I've always told myself if I had a bad head I would just tram in the Bridgeport and use dial indicator and a boring bar or chucking reamers verses the cost these shops want for saving peoples heads.

All I wondered about was how much crush do they need to REMAIN concentric?? And to keep the needle from spinning.I'd probably use carbide on the cage and a pin in the head to keep them from rotating. If I got all set up, I could do a bunch!

Same principle anyhow.....
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 12-17-2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: word swap
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    defiantly interested to see how this turns out vs. my experiences. yea Chinese stuff can be junk, so being your quality, i am hoping ti works out good. if it does, you may have a lot of people wanting this done.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Bronze lite oil bushings work great as well.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //