//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Yamaha 225DX engine noise/debris, mystery pieces HELP!

--

Yamaha 225DX engine noise/debris, mystery pieces HELP!

So the 225dx had some noise in the RH engine cover area when running and through a couple oil changes has been producing a large amount of metal in the oil. Took the RH engine case cover off and found a metal tab and small chunks of what appears to be a composite material. The guy I got the trike from had the cam seize in the head so he swapped from a like unit.

I have now disassembled both sides of the engine and can find no source of this stuff. I'm hoping someone out there would have an idea what to look for. Everything worked fine and it ran good before I tore into it, but the clutches had started to slip so I dug in and now can find absolutely nothing wrong or out of place, no signs of any aluminum scraping or anything. I suppose its possible this stuff is residual from the prior head swap, but want to make sure before I go back together. Thanks for your help!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141205_220708631[1].jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	206324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141205_220749082[1].jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	206325

--
    the fiber stuff look to be gasket material. it appears they did not stuff a rag around the rod before scraping and this gasket material ended up into the crank area.
    the metal L-shaped piece almost looks like something from the gear selector area. it looks to have been sheared off.

check all edges and sue a factory service manual with photos to compare the pieces to make sure yours is perfect. it is possible to have extra due to previous owner halfway doing stuff on the rebuild, but just double check. i always do an oil change before i ever fire up an unknown engine. reason is i get to see what is in the oil and what it looks, smells and tastes like. it can taste burn ash means it is trashed oil and never properly changed. usually a good indicator of bearings probably worn due to lack of maintenance.

anyway jsut go through each and every edge of every trans part and ensure nothing looks sheared or snapped.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    you said metal and some composite so it sounds like pieces of the cam chain guide rail

see here #9....look at the end

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...AIN/parts.html

--

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    you said metal and some composite so it sounds like pieces of the cam chain guide rail

see here #9....look at the end

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...AIN/parts.html
    Pretty sure you're onto something there. Likely when the came seized in the head it took out the cam chain tensioner and busted one of the ears off the lower hold down. The cam chain is tight now with no issues so likely just leftovers from the previous. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help! Merry Christmas!

--
    You are correct sir. Thanks again ironchop!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141219_150351110[1].jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	206346

--
    I thought I was the only one who tasted the oil.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //