//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC 125m Shift drum stopper install Question

--

ATC 125m Shift drum stopper install Question

Ok I was told a good possibility on why my 1984 ATC 125m wouldn't down shift was a worn Shift drum stopper arm. So I ordered one put it in filled it with oil and could shift at all. So I took it all apart and I had the star stopper plate in the wrong direction. Now before I put this thing back together I want to make sure I have it right. When I try to shift it, it goes all most all the way in to first. and the shift lever wont go down any more if I pull up it goes back to neutral. Should I be able to go through all the gears or does this sound right?

--
    Good question.
    perhaps it doesn't feel all the way in.
    May need to rock the machine or block up the frame so you can turn the wheels a little to get it lined up.
    Can you shift it with the cover off or will a bunch of parts fall out?
    Does the shift drum stopper look the same as the old one?
    any kind of shouldered washer?
    pretty sure it went back in with the right bolt, washers, spacers if it has them?
    I'm thinking of some sort of shouldered washer/spacer or shoulder bolt but that may be
    from something else in there.
    My 125 actually broke off the aluminum bosss that the mounting bolt for the drum stop arm
    bolts into.
    KbOnly has a fix or upgrade to that mount situation.
    Maybe try search key for something like "shift drum stopper".
    Seems like it was posted about a year or so ago.
    I had saved it all but lost my harddrive.
    Yeah, for some reason they bind and don't mind breaking.
    Not exactly sure why so best to get it correct or better.
    Probably good that you got it backwards and a chance to make it better.
    Last edited by tri again; 01-03-2015 at 03:10 PM.

--
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=shift+drum

I just used the search key for "shift drum" and found this on the 3rd page but lots of other posts
    about the 125 shift issue.
    Maybe a slightly longer bolt is a good idea but also not sure if it's special with a shoulder of some sort.
    Good luck and pls keep us posted.

--
    Thanks I will be doing some reading

--
    I moved It around and shifted it and it went in to first and stopped short of second right on the tip of the star. So i guess it will shift fine once in motion. Probably not meshing sitting still.

Were can I get a gasket for the cover or what is it called? I have checked a few sits and its not jumping out at me.

--
    I would think it should shift into and out of gears especially if you rock it,
    back and forth.
    Is the mounting bolt bent that you can see?

--
    No bends that I see It would up shift fine before I change the stopper it just wouldn't down shift. I will take a quick video of what its doing tonight.

--
    Engine has to be running to shift properly...

--
    The engine DOES have to he running to shift properly? I tore my crank case down past the transmission cog, let me mention, before I tore it down that far, I could tell it seemed to me that the star was cock eyed (like the bolt holding it on was loose letting it wobble freely). Doing research I immediately checkwd shift drum stopper, was NOT broken. The thing looks freaking clean as hell for the year in fact. Dicked around with it after finding out the it was in fact loose, and the shift drum stopper was out of line etc. Fixed it, and tried to shift thru gears. Would only shift back and forth through 1 year range after I would move it back or forth and shift. Couldn't figure out why, and didn't want to put it back together before I fixed what the problem was. Was it just the loose star the whole time? Will it shift properly with the engine running? Oh how I hope it's that simple. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190217_154547.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	257324
    Last edited by Jwalk90; 02-17-2019 at 10:41 PM.

--
    I'll add that I tried to mimic the motor running by pushing and shifting at the same time....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //