Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1984 Tecate pics

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	208812

The banshee shock bolts up, it's just slightly shorter than the 85 T3.

--
    Is the 300ex shock shorter too? Also, 3 Wheel Drive, what is that rubber strap near the bak of where the fuel tank sits? I have that but it is broken.

--
    If I recall correctly the 300ex shock is a fuzz longer. I have had them on my Tecates , Heck I think there is one on my Black Tecate right now.
    That rubber strap slips over the rear of the fuel tank to hold it down. Quite sure I have a spare hanging on a nail in the storage area,,,,

--
    Looks like the frame has been repaired where it extends back to the grab bar. Looks like I'll be doing a little welding.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1338.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	208957

--
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusBlock View Post
    Looks like the frame has been repaired where it extends back to the grab bar. Looks like I'll be doing a little welding.
    since you haven't had one of these i'll let you know that tihis is not uncommon but it is probably the only place it will ever break . . in case you don’t do much of this type of work, here’s just a few suggestions for you.

Cut it off at the break and clean the ends up . . by then there will be maybe a 3/16” gap between them when the broken off piece is properly located . . get a tube that fits inside the frame tube and cut it off around 1” long . . insert half of it in the bike side and put a tack weld on it then slip the broken section on and fill the 3/16” gap in with weld.

Another option would be, clean it all up then get a tube that will fit fairly snugly over the outside of the frame then cut it around 3” long . . then cut it in half lengthwise so it is now half of a tube . . grind around 1/4” off of one side only on both halves . . hold the rear section in place and tack the top half pipe in place so it is around 3/16” away from the rear most rectangular seat bracket, then tack the bottom one in place with one end around 3/16” away from the other half bracket on the bottom if the frame where the break is . . this new bottom half pipe will then extend under the rectangular teat most seat mount bracket giving extra support . . weld it all up.

The second method will prevent it from ever breaking again even if it gets hit by a train and will look clean, but you could use both methods if you want to be extra secure.

The axle nuts and wheel hub nuts are also notorious for coming loose on these so I would be sure to use the cotter pins on the hub nuts and blue loctite on the outside axle nut.

It looks like the seat pins on the bracket are bent down a little too . . if they are bent much, i would heat them first.

the rear fender uses rubber bushings, collars and hex bolts to secure it . . something close can be bought at many hardware stores and auto and motorcycle parts stores . . see them in the parts fiche below.

http://www.xtremeusa.com/OEMpartfind...1984/080182D-8

--
    A little progress on the Tecate. I can sit on some foam now. Geez this this is fast. That power band is just violent. I gotta be honest, this thing scares me.

GBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1438.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	211451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1437.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	211452

oile is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Welcome to the Tecate world !

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //