//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to 3ww, just got my Trike! 87 Tecate 3!

Ragar is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

New to 3ww, just got my Trike! 87 Tecate 3!

A workmate showed asked me "Whats this green 3 wheeler this guy is selling?"
    I looked and about did a flip a 1987 T3 for $1100 Running, on some random tiny FB group!

long story short, I've purchased and am now putting the last missing bits on it!
    I've ridden it and its a monster! Runs awesome! Moves great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150124_180130.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	208839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150124_180124.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	208837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150124_180149.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	208838  

--
    Needs a Left Radiator, and Shrouds.
    Think I'm going to Use Moose Racing headlight to replace the missing one
    A taillight.
    And a New Chain.

--
    Thats a pretty good deal for what you have there. Welcome to the club!
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    https://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product....cat=299&page=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8687-Kawasak...3D221669851517

The radiators are easy to find, I have some for sale
    Headlights and tail lights can be aftermarket for sure and cheaper.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Welcome to 3ww
    73 atc 70
    84 ytm 200ern
    79 atc 70
    ytm 225 dr
    atc 90
    80 atc 110
    klt 250A
    84 atc 200es
    85 atc 250es

gone but not forgotten restored 82 atc 70

--
    Call the police, you just stole that thing.

If it has the stock silencer and you do not care about noise and do not need a spark arrestor, you can buy a straight thru regular silencer and it will run even better ands have even more top end.

The tires are still orig.

I would get rid of the plastic fuel line it is not the correct material . . there is a fuel filter in the tank so the inline one is unnecessary . . you can eliminate it if you want.

Its missing the sprocket cover but its not really necessary . . below is the p/n for it . . ebay sometimes has them.

Chain cover p/n 14026-1119

http://www.xtremeusa.com/OEMpartfind...986/090203B-14

. . . . . . . . .

this place has a parts fiche and some orig parts

http://www.xtremeusa.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

this sometimes has orig parts

http://www.partzilla.com/

--
    Yeah, I saw a few 86s in parts and pieces go for 2k on ebay, I am going to double check the year at work. (I work at a K dealer) to make sure its an 87.

I saw on from 3ww With 250 laser cut into it i have my eye on for the guard.and yeah i want to get rid of the inline, looks like crud.

It has an Answer Hot Tip on it, and i dig the sound.

Is is true the Stock header is pretty good, and replacing one isnt much gain?

I figure Ill register it and run her on the Trails here

I poured fuel all over last night, so i took the carb apart and the Float Height Fork was upside down. so that was an easy fix
    Starts up right in a kick or two!

--
    You can use a chain guard from like any KX250 or Kx500 but they are gray in color. I ordered a moose case saver for 2004 KX250.

Please read my Tecate parts swap thread:
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ap-Interchange

The stock exhaust is probably just fine, most of them are. OEM silencers are what suck.

All Mikuni carbs I ever owned had float needle issues at some point in time.

Please post more pictures, we love them.

I hope you did not bid $49 for those radiators on ebay.
    I did not like the stock rear tires.

Oh and I would not trust the fuel filter in the tank unless you know it is there and still attached. Many of the tanks I have owned (6) the filter(s) was missing or were just floating around in the tank. I always use in line filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0950-0023-214.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	208870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030317.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	208871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030316.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	208872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hot tip.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	208873  
    Last edited by nd4speed; 01-25-2015 at 05:23 PM.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragar View Post
    Needs a Left Radiator, and Shrouds.
    Think I'm going to Use Moose Racing headlight to replace the missing one
    A taillight.
    And a New Chain.
    Nice find & score! I think you owe your workmate a 12'er (at least) for bringing your attention to it. IMHO, none of the aftermarket headlights look right on our trikes, so I'd personally hold out for a OEM Tecate unit. After all, the Tecate did have the sexiest headlight shroud out of all of the 3-wheelers.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum too.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    I put a bid in a on a set. of two, but i didnt see the shipping, or check how long they had.... BLEH... did you see something I hadnt?
    Idk if they are the same set.
    Last edited by Ragar; 01-25-2015 at 06:11 PM.

--
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...WL._SY355_.jpg

Thats the one I think will actually look good.
    Im torn between White Shrouds and Green lol
    I think im going green.

--

you want it to go faster?

That pipe is set up for that engine, it’s not like you buy a 4 stroke and put a header on it and it will often run better . . if you want more top end, you can get it from another pipe or you can raise the exhaust port around .025” but you will lose bottom end.

the 87 tecate is very rare and had an emergency brake . . if yours does not, it is likely an 86 . . the e brake cylinder looks like the one in the parts fiche below.

http://www.xtremeusa.com/OEMpartfind...1987/090231E-5

I don’t know anything about that silencer but if you can see straight thru it, it is not restricting flow.

The bracket on the silencer can break so keep an eye on it or you can safety wire it.

They sell much smaller fuel filters than the one you have . . I would get one of those if you run one.

The kx guard shown is fine and looks kinda cool too imo. . I just like stock stuff and since that bike hasn’t been butchered, I would try to keep it stock as possible.
    If you ever plan to sell it, I would pick up a stock silencer too if I saw one cheap . . I think it would be a selling point even if the new owner doesn’t use it.

--
    I havent gotten a real chance to feel how Fast she is on her own, so atm i doubt it needs more speed, I am leaning towards its an 86 tbh, the guy swore up in down and 7 ways to sunday it was an 87, not that im that going to be upset that its an 86, its still my dream Ttike. Its been Hacked a small amout, His "uncle" is supposed to be the original owner, and raced it back in the late 80s, so thats why some bits are gone. Also you didn't say why you hoped i didnt bid on those.

--
    A member called Hornetspowersports owns the molds for the left + right shrouds and head light shell. If I did not tell you they was reproduced by Maire for him you would think they was the oem product. Absolutely perfect.
    He left me a set of tank shrouds before heading out on extended vacation in case some one needed a set on 3ww.

120.00 shipped for the set of tank shrouds. I will add pictures in a little while. He also owns the mold maire made for the headlight shell.

Nice score, be sure to let us know the year of it once you find out for sure.

john

--
    the 10th character in the vin should be the year . . if it is a 6, it is a 1986 . . if it is a 7, it is a 1987.

riding it on the street or in a straight line, it will seem decent but if you get it on a track and open the throttle half way thru a turn, it can easily spit you off so don't sit back or lean back when you hit the gas, lol. this is where they work the best . . if you want to drag race it at trike fest or something then you might want to do something but if you modify the cylinder there is no going back of course.

you can eek out a bit more power with a 2 mm bigger carb also since you have a good silencer . . any bigger than that will be overkill and make it big under some conditions.

must have desert raced it then because those tires are no good for tt or short track and the pipe might have been changed.

you can also try advancing the timing plate just a hair now that it has a good silencer if the timing is currently stock . . this will get you a hair more power everywhere too . . mark where it currently is carefully, then rotate the plate around .015" . . listen for pinging under load.

make sure it is properly jetted now and if you make any changes, advancing the timing will likely lean it out a hair so you might need to go up 1 on the main and raise the needle clip up 1 position.

Here’s free factory manuals on line . . the first is the 84 – 85 and the second is the supplement or 86-87.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manual...AKI_TECATE.pdf

See the timing info on pages 14-5 and 14-6 in the link below.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manual...SUPPLEMENT.pdf

Last edited by aramid; 01-25-2015 at 07:35 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //