//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: # wheeler will only run a full choke!!

--

# wheeler will only run a full choke!!

I finally got my 200s timed right and ready to run it will start up and idle perfect throttle up and everything but it has to be full choked in order to run. If I try to take the choke off it will spit sputter and die the carb has been chem dipped and cleaned thoroughly so what can this be? does it need to be jetted different or what? Also I can ride it with the vhoke on but at about half throttle it falls flat on its face like it doesn't have any power. I really need to know what I can do to help the situation.

--
    I would double check the choke first, lever up should be choke on, and lever down should be choke off (this carb should be the same as a 185s I think). Sounds silly, but we all make rookie mistakes. Just this weekend I had to push mine back to the house a couple hundred yards away through snow and snow drifts and pulled the carb apart before I figured out all that happened was the choke got bumped on. If you're positive on that, I would check for air leaks and exhaust leaks. Get a can of carb/brake cleaner, get it running and spray it down over the carb intake at every spot there is a connection, and check the head gasket as well. If the idle rises you have an air leak and that's your problem. Have you made any modifications? Holes in the air box? High flow filter? new open exhaust? Did you bore it bigger? Anything other than %100 stock and you'll probably have to jet up but if everything is completely stock jets likely won't be your problem. Based on what you describe it sounds (to me) like it's running lean, does it get really hot on a short ride? Do a color check on the plug as well, white is lean (too much air) black is rich (too much fuel). That's where I would start, I'm not a mechanic but I've dealt with enough small engines that I would start there.
    83 200x - auto-x - wide axle
    84 200x - long term project
    78 XS750
    82 XJ750
    08 Sportster 883

--
    I usually check hard stuff first.
    Adjust valves as no other adjustment will help if they are off.
    Sometimes the spark advance will get stuck....a rotating plate runs off the cam
    with tiny little springs are a common issue.
    Any way to check if the jets are stock?
    Good fuel flow from tank?
    Gas tank vent ok?
    Pls let us know what you find

--
    Thanks for the reply guys> The bike has a fresh overhaul with a new forged wiseco piston and rings std size. The choke operates like it should up is choke on and down is choke off. I know the valves are adjusted right. The carb is an aftermarket and the slide is a bit bigger than most ive seen on these, Should I rejet the carb because of this? I don't have the breather box installed yet because I was working on it and the tank isn't on it because I have to clean it would either of these affect it in any way? Thanks for the replies keep them coming. Jesse

--
    Anybody else have any ideas? I would like to ride this weekend. Thanks in advance, Jesse

--
    What aftermarket carb did you get?
    Currently Own
    '85 Honda Big Red 250es
    '84 Honda Big Red 200es
    '81 Honda ATC 185s
    Unk yr Adventure Vehicles 3 wheeler

--
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    What aftermarket carb did you get?
    Im unsure what it is I didn't put it on there I will look an let u know tomorrow, Would not having the breather on the bike cause it to do this? Or not having the tank on it cause it? Thanks for the replies keep them coming. Jesse

--
    not having the airbox will definitely cause running issues, also if it is a chinese carb you will need to mess with the jets, it is hit or miss with them as they have a habit of throwing any old jet in there on original assembly in china. I think I have an original honda carb sitting here for a 200, I do know it needs a new float though that was broke when I got it.
    rectum nothin damn near killed them
    feel free to leave feed back for me here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...06#post1119306

--
    Quote Originally Posted by muthey View Post
    not having the airbox will definitely cause running issues, also if it is a chinese carb you will need to mess with the jets, it is hit or miss with them as they have a habit of throwing any old jet in there on original assembly in china. I think I have an original honda carb sitting here for a 200, I do know it needs a new float though that was broke when I got it.
    Im going to try some other things first but in case I don't get it right what do you need for your carb? I have another carb its a keihin japan but the slide is smaller than whats on the bike now I may check to see if these jets are bigger and ill try them and see what happens. Thanks for the reply and keep them coming. Jesse

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Could be a clogged jet or carb orifice. When you choke it, you are increasing the air intake velocity which is increasing the Venturi effect thus drawing enough fuel to run the motor. Without the extra "suction" caused by the choke the air cannot pull enough fuel. I would also verify the pilot and main jet sizes.

--
    Don't forget idle mixture screw as well.....
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Try to adjust air idle screw on side of carb,i had one do that one time and a little adjustment and it ran fine after that,mark were you started at so if it dont help you can go back to that point and rejet.

--
    Check the spark plug, if it is white, screw the jet in more to give it more fuel. If it is black screw it out a little. I think its jetted to lean maybe because the choke has to be on to compensate for being to lean and when you rev it it cant give it enough fuel. Good Luck!

--
    I had the same issue...and I had the choke lever in the wrong position..thinking 'down' was full choke.

--
    Thanks guys for the help when it warms up a bit ill try it out and see what happens

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //