//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I hate electrical problems, Big Red.

--

I hate electrical problems, Big Red.

OK I have a 85' Big Red 250es and the electric starter won't work it just clicks in the solenoid. I put a new one on still does it with a new batt. I even tried to jump it across the solenoid post and nothing happens like no power to it. The 20amp fuse looks clean and good. The grounds are all clean. The push button and switch are all clean looking. I can feel it clicking in my hand on both the old and new one. Put a starter on it, and still nothing. Any help on what to check or replace is welcome. Bike kick start real easy.

--
    I hate electrical problems too. I have had the same kind of trouble,,, years ago with a different Bigred. If I recall correctly it was the nut/bolt/stud thing on the starter itself.
    Have you tried jumping directly to starter on the lead side of the solenoid ~ results ? Or better yet from battery directly to the starter hot post. If no go,,, wiggle that connection at the starter. That's about all I got,,,, good luck !
    john

--
    Have you tried jumping the starter with an alternate 12v power source? If it cranks then perhaps I'd be looking at the battery on the bike. If not, then your issue is something with the starter itself.
    LED obsessed
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09

--
    I hooked a starter up to in , nothing. Cross the polls with a screw driver and nothing, not ever a spark. Took and hooked both red and black heavy wires together, still nothing. Yet you hook it all up and it seams to have some power to it because it clicks hard holding it in my hand. Unless the starter I use was bad too. The starter on the bike feels a little knochy when I turn it both way but the other starter was smooth turning.

--
    Have you confirmed that the starter works and engages, spins with the start button when not hooked to the engine? If it spins good then it seem like something inside the motor not allowing it to turnover.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Yea nothing is happening, I'll buy a new starter in the morning.

Thanks everyone.

wolfspider is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Dunlap View Post
    Yea nothing is happening, I'll buy a new starter in the morning.

Thanks everyone.
    there are two different starters for bigreds mickey, short shaft for 85 and 86 and long shaft for the 87 88 bigreds

HONDA ATC250ESJ 1988
    HONDA 250R `85 restored SOLD
    HONDA ATC 350X `86 restored SOLD
    HONDA ATC 250ES `87 SOLD
    YAMAHA YZ100 `80 project
    HONDA ATC350X `85 PROJECT FINISHED

--
    If your arcing across the selinoid it's got to be the starter . Could be stuck / worn brushes , loose ungrounded rivits , broken magnets .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    If your arcing across the selinoid it's got to be the starter . Could be stuck / worn brushes , loose ungrounded rivits , broken magnets .
    Thanks for confirming that, I know I can trust you, thanks again. I'm buying a new one today.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    bad starter or not enough power (amps). Even with a new battery you can have some resistance with a dirty or corroded connection somewhere. Did you try jumping it with a bigger battery like a car battery? Or jumping with your new battery directly to the starter or solenoid without using your bike's wires?

--
    I would jump the starter directly to see if that's your problem. Take jumper cables hook them up to a car battery then put the positive cable on the stud of the starter and the negative on the cylinder head after you do this the starter should spin if it does check your cables for corrosion of it doesn't spin buy a starter.

OKSTATE#1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I had an issue like this, took the starter apart and the little magnets came out in chunks.

Bought an old starter that looked good off eBay for 40 bucks and I was back in bidness.

YamaBoss is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I had a similar problem with my 225dx. It turned out to be the starter gear was getting pinched in between the stator cover and the block and it would not spin. The pervious owner used gasket sealer instead of a gasket and there wasn't enough distance for that gear to spin freely. It sounds like yours is something to do with a bad starter but if not it could be something similar to mine. Good luck.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by OKSTATE#1 View Post
    I had an issue like this, took the starter apart and the little magnets came out in chunks.

Bought an old starter that looked good off eBay for 40 bucks and I was back in bidness.
    I bought a new starter so I make sure it turns over the 350 kit I'm building.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaBoss View Post
    I had a similar problem with my 225dx. It turned out to be the starter gear was getting pinched in between the stator cover and the block and it would not spin. The pervious owner used gasket sealer instead of a gasket and there wasn't enough distance for that gear to spin freely. It sounds like yours is something to do with a bad starter but if not it could be something similar to mine. Good luck.
    Everything turns I already checked that.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //