//ArrowChat Code

Thread: tri z crank seals

poolieZerUK is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

tri z crank seals

Went to local bearing shop to get some bearings and seals for bottom end rebuilds.

Took the existing bearings and seals for reference, the bloke says that the crank seals are a special item as they have the moulded rubber protrusions on them.

There is no problem getting seals that match the dimensions, but probably won't have the protrusions has anyone used this type of seal?

Or is it best to get them from all balls, moose etc.?

Look to me like they have double lip for sealing i.e. inner and outer, it's no big deal just more of a hassle to order from net.

I don't think it would make any difference but.....

I have two motors split, noticed that in one the seals were not facing back to back but in the other they were, had a butchers in the manual and its hard to tell which way is correct any ideas on this?

Cheers.

--
    No thoughts on this?

Xfile is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    The protrusions but up against the outer race of the crank bearing...this spaces the seal away from the crank brearing which allows a small amount of fuel/oil mixture to reach the bearing. With the cylinder removed, you can see the hole which connects the lower transfer port casting to the outer edge of the bearing. If you put a seal in without the protrusions, there is a chance it will but up tight against the outer bearing race and seal off the hole. IMO, it is best to use the correct parts for the job (OEM yamaha).
    Don't worry...just run watcha brung...

--
    If it's available, pay the 25% more and get the right part.

This isn't the rear axle, it's your crank......
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Don't risk it go OEM.

Crank, fork, shock, ETC. The OEM stuff is hard to beat.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Xfile View Post
    The protrusions but up against the outer race of the crank bearing...this spaces the seal away from the crank brearing which allows a small amount of fuel/oil mixture to reach the bearing. With the cylinder removed, you can see the hole which connects the lower transfer port casting to the outer edge of the bearing. If you put a seal in without the protrusions, there is a chance it will but up tight against the outer bearing race and seal off the hole. IMO, it is best to use the correct parts for the job (OEM yamaha).
    Makes sense that they are lubrication spacers,

I have two motors and the seals although the correct ones were installed differently, obviously these have been worked on before and whoever had done the work either didn't notice/know or care.

Looks like OEM if available.

Cheers.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by poolieZerUK View Post
    Makes sense that they are lubrication spacers,

I have two motors and the seals although the correct ones were installed differently, obviously these have been worked on before and whoever had done the work either didn't notice/know or care.

Looks like OEM if available.

Cheers.
    I just installed a set a few months ago, I do not have the engine fully assembled yet so I can take a look at there orientation tomorrow and get back you. I purchase OEM seals from cheapcycleparts.com...there shipping takes a little longer at times, but there prices are good.

Aaron
    Last edited by Xfile; 03-03-2015 at 08:49 PM.

--
    You can have a look, if you don't mind.
    But if they act as spacers then its self explanatory,
    You might want to check
    Cheers

--
    Your right, it is self explanatory....I was thinking the tri-z had 2 seals on the crank output side, but it is actually my kawi 650sx jet ski engine that has that.(which I also put seals in not long ago). So yes, rubber protrusions go towards the bearing and your good to go.

aaron

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //