//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my first 86 Tecate

--

Arrow Building my first 86 Tecate

It all started from lurking the classifieds for a long time, I picked up an 86 NOS in the bag rear fenders for around 250.00 shipped. At first my plan was to sit on them and cash out when supply and demand was in my favor.

Ive been piecing together an 85 Tecate for some time now and ended up swapping out the front end with an 86 front. So I've got the entire front end including a real nice OEM front fender.
    9114 9011 5981 5098 7413 59 so I pick up the engine and a frame! They should arrive sometime tomorrow, this weekend I scored a grip of misc small parts and pieces.

Now on EBay I picked up a polished 86 T3 tank for around 60.00 and a high flight seat cover and foam. I plan on getting those new aluminum rads and some aftermarket shrouds. I'll have some assembly questions here and there. I'm going with a new DG exhaust and an fmf universal silencer.

Heres what I've got so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	211439Click image for larger version. 

Views:	86 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	211440[Click image for larger version. 

Views:	39 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	212934Click image for larger version. 

Views:	44 
Size:	945.6 KB 
ID:	212935Click image for larger version. 

Views:	43 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	212936

For now I'm going to run my +6" Laegars swing arm from an 85 Tecate that I got for peanuts...lol! It's got a new +4" Durablue axle with the trx250r splines. My frame will get powdered silver or white I'm not sure yet. I'm still looking for an Airbox and a few other parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Drive; 03-24-2015 at 03:41 AM.

--
    Nice parts to start with. I'm about to embark on my first second gen tecate project, but mine will be about half the engine size as yours.

--
    3WD love that seat color/pattern, would look good with either color choice. Do you know a silver powder coat for the Kawasaki's. The place i wanted to use has one silver choice and that is silver.
    Silver pc code or name anyone? Also on my first.
    Last edited by fieldy; 03-02-2015 at 10:47 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    Accidentally hit dislike I guess.
    What is a close silver powder coat for the Kawasaki's? Code or name?
    Click dislkike again and it will undislike it
    1982 big red
    1974 atc 90
    Life is hard, but its harder if you're stupid - John Wayne

--
    Quote Originally Posted by thcowboy View Post
    Click dislkike again and it will undislike it
    Thanks you!

--
    Glad it made it and met approval. It looks like it is going to come together quickly.
    nstyle73

"When in doubt, wind it out"

Feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-nstyle73

--
    Stock the 86 does not have a release lever for the seat or the fenders. I am going to try to find a way to release the fenders easily without welding on the frame because it is definitely a pain to remove the seat/fender. I am not familiar with the 85 and older tecate.
    Last edited by fieldy; 03-03-2015 at 01:41 AM.

--
    Great job keep it up!
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

Ragar is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Dont by the Ebay ones. Its a guy selling them from DC. Save the extra dollars and get them From DC direct.

I kick myself for not getting Hornets. But i "had" to have the white ones lol.

--
    Hornets power left me with a set of his shrouds before he headed out on extended vacation in case some one was in need of a set.

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Nice score on the igniters. I've been looking for one of those. If your looking to unload one of those let me know.

QUOTE=3 Wheel Drive;1357363]A few parts arrived in the mail - Im still looking for a complete air box, and a few misc parts. There are some aftermarket shrouds on eBay for around $70.00. Are they any good? I heard hornetpowersports sells nice shrouds for the 86 Tecate, I want to find some to use on mine.

Here are the shrouds on ebay: http://m.ebay.com/itm/271065453748?nav=SEARCH

.Attachment 211644
    Attachment 211643[/QUOTE]

--

Spoke with Justin (Hornetspower)

Yep, he is still out west but can make arrangements for me to pick up a 2nd. set if needed
    (I had a couple of PM's about them all of a sudden). He also make a awesome oem in all regards head light shroud. Just wanted to mention that since it is often over looked.
    110 shipped state side for his shrouds and here is a picture of them. Also put up a picture of what I have on hand/do.
    That is the only coolant bottle I have left but will be spinning some more in stock version next week. That one pictured has copper inlay on the lettering and glows in the dark.
    Frame caps, chain sliders, intake boot, KIPS, handle bar clamp covers (that are 87 T-3 specific but may interest you ? ) , custom stock fly wheel upgrade.
    I have a small pile of detail work to do in the garage tomorrow with the flywheels (on the lathe) and trimming of intake boots so that is why the parts looked not ready yet.
    Seems like me or the Mrs. dose something else 86/87 Tecate,,, darned if I can recall what though ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shroud 2.jpg   shroud 3.jpg   bottle 2.jpg   t-3 stuff.jpg  

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    how do those shrouds fit compared to oem?
    Is the color match close?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomtracer View Post
    how do those shrouds fit compared to oem?
    Is the color match close?
    this sums it up well >>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ornetpowerspor

--
    Sounds great!
    Pm sent.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //