//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 86 KXT Build

--
    The adjuster knob and o-rings are available in a kit from Kawasaki. Not sure if they are still stocked. I bought one quite a while back, I'll look for the part number. One trick is that the nitrogen bladder is the same as a kx125, so they share all of those parts if that helps you in any way.
    nstyle73

"When in doubt, wind it out"

Feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-nstyle73

--
    If you haven't bought decals yet and planning on it. Im almost done setting up the 86 t-3 set. not sure on the pricing but they will be same quality as the ATC ones Ive been selling Ill offer the option of letting you customize colors at N/C with in reason and change out the 250 for big bore numbers.
    ]1986 ATC 330R
    1985 ATC 250R vintage PSI racing ported motor
    Get your replacement ATC 250R decals and custom Big Bore #'s here http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/catego...=2&pagegroup=1

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanks, nstyle. If you could find the part # that would help.
    I managed to get the compression assembly apart. It's a non serviceable item, but I should be able to reassemble it. There are four o- rings inside and one Teflon seal for the rebound rod that is located at the bottom of the shock shaft. I'm going to make some calls on the Teflon seal, the o-rings are standard items.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	214312

Pantera, thanks for the offer but I have been talking to someone about the decals already.
    Last edited by phantomtracer; 04-14-2015 at 01:03 AM.

bobr is offline First Time Rider Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --
    Phil, they will rebuild your stock shock. Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomtracer View Post
    Hey Bob!
    I wanted to stick with the stock shock. I have everything I need, except for o-ring for the adjuster body.
    Still can't figure out how to remove the plate that holds the comp. adjuster in the res. body. Anyone know how to remove that? Do I need to drill out the metal pin on the side?Attachment 214096

If I try turning it with a pin wrench it doesn't want to move much, feels like it hits something, thinking it's the metal pin on the side.
    Parting out 1984 200X and 1985 200X

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I'm enjoying the process. I want to do the work myself.

--
    I sold shaun sblt500r a rear shock and he turned it into something that looked brand new. He does great work and knows so much about motorcycle repair in general. He would be good to get a hold of, I have bumped into him on different forums for over a decade and he was always very helpful.

his build:
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...6-Tecate-Build

went through some of his posts about shocks and he said he never posted a how to cause it would be a page long and there would be lots of questions, he just said the info is out there on the net for shock re-building.
    Last edited by nd4speed; 04-14-2015 at 11:01 PM.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Thanks for the info.
    I was able to replace the 2 inner o-rings from a standard o-ring kit and reinstall the compression valving. I will post a pic tomorrow, but basically I bent th lip over in segments and then bent it back. I still need to figure out what to use to install the press fit pin.
    After that it should go together easy.

--
    I had to order the two outside o-rings for the compression cartridge.
    See pic of crimped end of compression cartridge. I coated it with jb weld to reinforce the area as a precautionary measure.
    I was able to source the rebound bushing and seals. Still trying to figure out what to use for the pins I drilled out. I haven't found a replacement yet.
    For others looking for parts the 1990 yz80 and later year yz 85 have similar shocks and share some parts. The shock shaft size for the yz is 14mm and the shock body is 40mm just like the kxt shock.

Views:	17 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	214596

--
    Just got the decals from blue line graphics. Very nice.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	9 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	215150

--
    Also got the last o-ring I have been waiting for, now I can complete the rear shock.
    Also got the rebuilt crank back so I should be able to make some good progress soon.

--
    I installed the compression cartridge, replaced the rebound rod seals, installed the seal head and shim stack. I used nos piston band and seal and All Balls seal head. Most of the parts were purchased from the KYB distributor.
    One word of caution when installing the shock rod the depth that you screw it into the shock body is critical for proper operation of the rebound adjuster. Also, I was worried about what I was going to use for the pins that I drilled out that hold the spring and detent ball. After looking at things closely I realized the area behind the pins are not under pressure so I just filled in the drill holes with epoxy and tapped them back into place.

Views:	19 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	215215Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	215216Click image for larger version. 

Views:	320 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	215217
    Last edited by phantomtracer; 04-27-2015 at 12:27 AM.

--
    Jumping around a bit as I wait for parts.
    Here is a shot of the motor.
    All Kawasaki bolts, gaskets, connecting rod kit, bearings and seals.
    The only non Kawasaki items are the wiseco piston and Ricky Motorsports high output stator.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	215717Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	215718

--
    Would you rebuild shocks for any body else? If so how much you think you would charge?
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Great work and top notch tuturial. I will be refering back to your work once I start my KXT 125 build. Thanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //