//ArrowChat Code
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: 86 KXT Build

--
    Are you working on the radiators yourself ? I was wondering if newer KX 250 or 500 radiators could be made to work without welding aluminum. I have 30 year old stock KXT ones, just have little confidence in them.
    Did you put a heavier duty shock springs on it? Nice!

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    Are you working on the radiators yourself ? I was wondering if newer KX 250 or 500 radiators could be made to work without welding aluminum. I have 30 year old stock KXT ones, just have little confidence in them.
    Did you put a heavier duty shock springs on it? Nice!
    I bought two sets of kxt radiators and picked the best ones from that. I have a nice set that is not bent at all. The fins need a bit of straightening and a fresh coat of paint but that's it. All the sets I see on eBay are really beat. I've heard the China copies do not fit well and some say they do not last long. I think the best option is sending the oem radiators to a custom radiator shop so they can make new copies. I think it would be a miracle if a newer set of kx radiators would fit without modifications. Maybe that would be a good way to start with a later model and have that modified to fit. It you have a decent set of radiators maybe drop them off at a shop to inspect for cracks and pressure test it.

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    It's the stock spring from what I can tell.

--

Anyone have a a set of these?
    Not even sure what it does. Are they aluminum/steel? Rubber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    partzilla claims they have them.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...2027-1850.html

--
    Yeah, partzilla does not update their inventory. I'll try them again, but almost everything I have ordered from them I'm told it's no longer available.

--
    Those pieces may be the same as a kx handlebar mount, a few years newer.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	225412Click image for larger version. 

Views:	44 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	225413

Getting closer!
    The radiator shroud fits nice! That's a hornet powersports set, I think thats who made them.
    The grab bar took some grinding to fit correctly. The thickness of the grab bar mount hits the fender mount because it's too thick. Not a big deal but it did require some grinding of the grab bar.
    I'm still straightening the right side radiator fins. I think I figured out a way to straighten them, I'll post pics if it works out.

--
    This build is fantastic. I have followed closely even through my ban. Best thing on 3WW right now.

Great job phantomtracer.

--

Views:	21 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	227170

This worked out well to straighten the radiator fins. I took two fairly thick feeler gauges and grinded them down so they would be a bit smaller than the width of one fin. What you do is take a feeler gauge and push it through from the good side. Then do the same with another feeler gauge to the adjacent fin. Then you can squeeze them together to straighten the fin. You keep alternating down the line. Hope this helps others

--

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	227171
    This was taken two weeks ago. She fired up on the second kick!!!!!
    I still had to bleed the brakes so I couldn't take it for a spin.
    I just bleed the brakes today but with all the snow I'm waiting to take it for a spin until things clear up.
    Also wired the kill switch.
    Still need to find a rivet for the shifter tip and that's about it

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomtracer View Post
    Still need to find a rivet for the shifter tip and that's about it
    Do you have a rived press?

Why don't you just use a bolt and nut?

--
    I'm going to use a bolt for now, but I have a guy that is going to make the rivet for me.
    I think the bolt is kinda cheesy.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomtracer View Post
    I'm going to use a bolt for now, but I have a guy that is going to make the rivet for me.
    I think the bolt is kinda cheesy.
    You still need a rivet press.

You can use this if you want . . Socket head cap [flat head] screws . . Cut it so it sticks out the bottom by around 1/4".

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E393oUZLL._SX342_.jpg[/quote]

Then use a jam nut with blue loctite because they are thin and self locking.

--
    POST EDIT POST BECAUSE I HAVE NO EDIT BUTTON

both screws can be had in black also.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //