//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 86 KXT Build

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

86 KXT Build

Hi,
    I hope to piece an 86 together for the imperial invasion 2016.
    With the help of a few on this board I have gotten a good start to the project.
    I want to have a solid example of this bike. I had an 84 and 86 back in the day and it's calling my name.
    I started with an eBay purchase of an 86 kx 250 motor and has gone from there.
    Thanks to the great thread by nd4speed I have gotten all the necessary trans gears, clutch and primary gear to make this motor a real kxt motor. Still working on the ignition, might go the Ricky stator route.
    I still need a new connecting rod kit, but I have all new seals and bearings ready to go.
    I'm trying to use nos when available or within reason.
    If anyone can please share info on paint and finish work for this bike I would appreciate it.
    I've been working on the fork sliders and wanted to confirm that they came clear coated. If you can see my pic this coating appears on the 3 fork sliders I have.
    In order to get the correct machined finish I have read several ideas, anyone have experience restoring these?
    I'll post up when the motor is ready to assemble.
    Thanks for the help I've already received from nd4speed and nstyle73.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	211645Made some progress on the fork sliders.
    YouTube has good videos on this.
    Started with wire wheel, then wet sand with 220,400,1000 then hit it with a red scotch brite pad in a circular motion.
    Do not sand lengthwise.
    Still needs a good cleaning then semi-gloss clear coat.
    I did confirm it is clear coat not annodized, and the other parts like the frame and motor cases do not use primer.

tecaterob is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    The clear turns yellow after a while. That's why I chromed mine.

Views:	98 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	211702
    3 86 Tecate 3
    1 87 tecate 3 (with kx 540 motor)
    1 87 tecate 4 (with 330 motor, 250r geometry)
    1 83 atc 70
    1 Kfx 50
    1 kfx 400 ( with 470 parting out bike)
    1 78 KZ 1000 ( with 1340 turbo)
    1 Aprilia SXV 550 Supermoto
    1 01 ZRX 1200 prostreet (sold)

--
    Wow!
    Beautiful
    How about the triples, the stock finish is bare, is that correct?

--
    You may want to try Sharkhide to preserve the shine. I saw this product on an automotive show and plan on using it on my Calfab swingarm after I polish it. Here is their website: http://www.sharkhide.com/

tecaterob is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomtracer View Post
    Wow!
    Beautiful
    How about the triples, the stock finish is bare, is that correct?
    Triples are chrome also
    3 86 Tecate 3
    1 87 tecate 3 (with kx 540 motor)
    1 87 tecate 4 (with 330 motor, 250r geometry)
    1 83 atc 70
    1 Kfx 50
    1 kfx 400 ( with 470 parting out bike)
    1 78 KZ 1000 ( with 1340 turbo)
    1 Aprilia SXV 550 Supermoto
    1 01 ZRX 1200 prostreet (sold)

--
    I like the Kenda Front Max tire but when I bought one for my 84 it was shipped/stored folded over and was deformed, never had it long enough to see if hot summer and sun would fix it.

You still going to try to find OEM rear rims?
    You going to powder coat or paint everything?
    Any connecting rod kit 1978-2004 (2007?) KX250 should work, Hot Rods makes them.

Hopefully some one here has a spare carrier, try to make a new classified ad?
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    I was most likely going with oem rims.
    I will be painting the frame. I know powder coat is the popular option, but I want to keep it like it was as delivered in 86.
    I found an oem connecting rod # 13044-5042.
    I don't know why the kx 250 shows a different part number, but I figured I might as well put the kxt part # in the motor. I was going to compare and measure the two rods to confirm any differences or not.
    I am picking the cylinder and piston up from the machine shop later this week.
    Still need to bead blast the cases.

Ragar is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4speed View Post
    I like the Kenda Front Max tire but when I bought one for my 84 it was shipped/stored folded over and was deformed, never had it long enough to see if hot summer and sun would fix it.

You still going to try to find OEM rear rims?
    You going to powder coat or paint everything?
    Any connecting rod kit 1978-2004 (2007?) KX250 should work, Hot Rods makes them.

Hopefully some one here has a spare carrier, try to make a new classified ad?

My Kenda then one in the PIC
    Was well deformed from shipping, had to use a couple of old school tricks to get it on the bead lol. let it sit with 10psi in it over night, set it to spec and no more deformed tire!

--
    Made a bit of progress on the fork sliders, I should have them clear coated In a day or two. Still waiting for some parts to assemble them. I bead blasted the engine cases and cylinder. I got the correct nos connecting rod kit and it turns out the original kit I had was not correct. Also, this rod is the same as the kx rod. I figured it was but the part numbers are different.
    Here's the cases ready for paint.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	29 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	212819Click image for larger version. 

Views:	29 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	212820

--
    Sprayed the ignition cover, used vht satin black. The color is an excellent match to the factory paint.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	34 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	212878

--
    Finished painting the engine cases. Baked at 200 degrees in oven, wife thought I was crazy.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	77 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	213315

--
    Baked at 200 degrees in oven, wife thought I was crazy.Click image for larger version. 

I've done that too! My wife is used to it, doesn't even phase her anymore. I try to only do that stuff in the good weather, so I can open the windows and get the smell out after. Baked a laptop motherboard once to reflow the solder, wow what a stink!
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Received some of the last big items for the build. Also got a bunch of genuine kawi hardware.
    Started the engine assembly.
    Still waiting on fork bushings.

Views:	46 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	213852Click image for larger version. 

Views:	42 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	213853Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	213854

--
    Finished painting the engine cases. Baked at 200 degrees in oven, wife thought I was crazy.Click image for larger version. 

I have heard this a few times, so about 12 years ago I grabbed a oven off a street corner set out for bulk garbage day, fixed it up and put it in the shop.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //