//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 350X baja race buildup

--
    Now you do realize desert racing trikes are typically not pretty.

What kind of seat are you running? Please say Wax On or Hi Flite tall.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    It is a hiflight, I will take a photo. I got it from a fellow member here for a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    News update:
    I just got sponsored by Race Tech!!!!!!!! WOOTT!!!!!

ok here is what I am discovering:
    I have the core parts, but I am finding I need to re-think my rear suspension thoughts, running a stock shock is not good enough for the 1000 miles even with complete redo. here is why.
    it only has 7.25" of travel. when doing 50-60 MPh across the desert, I need it to make plenty of cushion. I want to add 2 more inches of travel. after much thought, I am just going to have to get a custom swinger made. The shock can be form an ATV (Honda TRX450r maybe gotta measure) but I need to modify the entire mounting system of the rear shock. here are my thoughts. I can get the rear swinger built with a +2 or+3 in length. Next, I am going to have to have the rear shock mounting made similar to the ATV mounting but come off the bottom section of the swinger.
    in the photo below I have highlighted how my son's a-arms work. the shock mounts to the bottom of the a-arm instead of the top. I believe this will work nicely for my 350x longer shock idea as well.
    So that being the case, I would like to get my rear singer modified to run that way in order to give me more shock and travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mod-350x.jpg  

--
    Dirtcrasher put a 450r swingarm on his 350x, that might be an option?
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    next, the things I need to start looking at are this. I need a much larger rear brake setup. the stock is not going to last well on a high speed desert race. Does anyone know of a larger dual piston or even quad piston caliper (2 on each side) setup that will work on the 350x? if not, I'll have to do some engineering work to make a bracket that will fit one for my trike. I believe the stock rotor should work fine.

rear master cylinder, I need to get either a new one or rebuild mine. I am inclined to see about looking at a modern one from an ATV and modifying the frame to accept the new master from maybe again a TRX450r. thoughts?

Front brakes, Again looking for bigger caliper and maybe even rotor here. any ideas?

The rear shock is going to be the biggest part. stock parts just cannot handle the task even if redone. they will fare great in the MX or CX track but 1000 miles is a different animal. So I needed to re-think my approach. I'll keep my modified stock swinger for the CX and MX training, but when it gets closer to 2016 Baja time, i'll swap over to the different stuff and run the track a few times to get used to it locally before the Baja. by then I should be good on feel.

Clutch. I posted before. I'm now contacting the clutch manufactures to see whom is willing to work with me to build a billet basket. I contacted Hinson, Barnett, Wiseco, and Rekluse (if recluse would that would be awesome to turn it into a semi-auto. So much easier to ride, race and handle the trike all together.

Swing arm mounting. The Yamaha stuff had problems with the swinger wobbling the hole out where it mounted to the frame. being this is again a long race, I am concerned about my 350x. I am going to find a place to help me build a kit I can weld on to re-enforce the frame there so I will not have those issues. Anyone of any ides?
    here is what I just checked out. the Yamaha has a 14mm bolt while the Honda uses a 12mm bolt for the swinger. So that leaves me with 2 options.
    1- find a longer high grade bolt to use that is 12mm and have a custom kit made. (good thing is we can sell these to all 350x owners later)
    2- since I am having a custom swinger made, I can have them make it with the larger Yamaha front mounting and use the LSracing kit (http://www.lsracing.com/yamaha-rapto...atv-utv-racing) and use that setup. I would have to trim the bolt down about 1/2" but that's all I have to do. The advantage is, I can then have them modify the forward tube to also be thinner just enough to use the Yamaha washer grommet sets so it will have smooth bolting to between the frame and swinger. I would also have to drill out the stock hole to 14mm but that's the easy part. That would satisfy the issues I am facing as well as give me a stronger mounting point. That is what I'm more leaning towards, but I will have to see what the swinger manufacturer says.

I am looking to see if Rath cannot modify a set of the 250R nerfs they make to fit my 350X. Lets see what they say. they may already have a set and if they do, I'm excited to use them.

yea my head goes 50million MPH so sorry if I lost ya'll.

let me know ya'll thoughts and ideas. I have t be safe, strong and finish this race in 1 piece. First race is just to finish, if I like it, I'll do it again in 2017 with a goal of placing higher up maybe even on the podium!

--
    totally awesome!! yes I would love that!!! where is he when I need him?

update:
    spent a lot of time searching, I do not think the 350x got the 450r swinger. I believe the 250r was the one that got it.
    Last edited by oscarmayer; 04-02-2015 at 11:17 PM.

--
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...nd-too-IT-RUNS!!!!

250r front end, 450 rear, 350x middle
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    Ok some of you wanted to see parts. Here ya go.

This performance xr400 header fits perfect!!!

Old axle vs. new billet axle.

Pile of 350x. This is how it sits currently. Waiting for gusset kit.

New SS front and rear braided brake likes. My colors are white and blue with some polish. These blue lines will look good and function well.

What's the advantages of the new header versus oem?

--
    WOW, that's alot to process.

Here's my 3 scents-

I would blatantly copy KASEY's 350X/1985-86 250R rear suspension set-up, thank him and send him a present!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=kasey+builds

I would run a highly modified shock off a 1985-86 250R. These shocks have tons of potential, so does the stock 350X shock but to a lesser degree.

This set-up would be hard to beat. IMHO

Remember some pro's won the Baja 1000 on a almost stock 1981 250r.

Keep in mind with your modified 350X swing arm will have more travel than 7.6" also the shock can be repositioned for more travel as well.

Also, the stock brakes will last 1000 miles, you do pad changes along the way, but if you want more modern brakes the KTM late model Brembo's are the best, but the late model Honda Nissin CR brakes are close. Custom brackets will be needed. Brake fluid is the most important aspect to good brakes in Baja.

Let me know if you need some Baja/endurance help, I have build tons of Kawasaki KX250/KX500/KLR650 bikes over the years for Kawasaki Team Green riders and they won/finished. I know a ATC is not a bike, but they are much closer than some would think. I have built a lot of Honda 250r & 200x trikes for ADRA racing in Arizona they were only about a 100 miles per race, but overall much tougher than Mexico races for there was no down time or long roads to recover. The dynamically unstable guys (Sorry I don't know your names) raced these races with a trike that was fairly stock & close to what they are racing today.

I would not kill yourself over the clutch, a new stock clutch set-up with stock springs and synthetic oil will be fine. I am sure there are some guys on this board that have a lot more than 1000 miles on a stock clutch.

If anything I would be much more worried about the- crank, rod, piston & valves.

The tall desert seat from Hi Flite is great, but make sure it has old or broken in foam, if you cannot break it in before the race you can stab it a couple hundred times with a ice pick or #1 phillips screwdriver your with thank you!
    Last edited by onformula1; 04-03-2015 at 03:16 AM.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    onformula1,
    Thanks a ton for all your help!!! I greatly appreciate it!!! I will talk to Kasey about the rear swinger. Maybe he is willing to make me one for some $$??

I am going to have MD help me with the motor area. first order is business is just getting it running I'll run the stock motor to get a feel of the bike once the chassis is done then build a 2nd motor for the racing stuff. Once the race motor is complete, I'll build the stocker as well. Right now, I think it is far more important I get into the Trike and get seat time before any racing starts. I have never raced a trike myself outside of a couple of sand drags in the early days. That being said, I have chased my crumb snatcher around the MX track, but he tends to laugh at me more trying to keep up with him than anything else. ( dang whippier snappers I tell ya!!!)

I love your suggestions and will be following them for sure!
    so I'll get the aftermarket swinger or designs from Kasey and then the shock to get redone. I'll save those parts for half way though the season sometime around September I'll install them to ride them as well and get used to them, but for now, I'll just use the stocker stuff to get a feel for the trike as a whole.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by userj8670 View Post
    What's the advantages of the new header versus oem?
    1/4" larger in the collectors and 3/8" larger on the main pipe. More flow = more power w/o being too aggressive, Plus with this being a 2-peice header I can adjust the leaning of the header to lay as close or as far back from the head as I want to a point (about 1.5" of adjustment available) This will help with keeping my leg from cooking as well as the head from overheating.

--
    Post man came again. More goodies!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    1/4" larger in the collectors and 3/8" larger on the main pipe. More flow = more power w/o being too aggressive, Plus with this being a 2-peice header I can adjust the leaning of the header to lay as close or as far back from the head as I want to a point (about 1.5" of adjustment available) This will help with keeping my leg from cooking as well as the head from overheating.
    I like the new header. So it is stock for a 400x? Do you know the brand/ Mfg ? Nice build, thanks for sharing.

--
    Thank you sir! It is a performance header for the XR400r
    I will get you the brand is Big Gun. Exhaust is their EVO racing header. Yea I agree that header is trick. I love it!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post
    WOW, that's alot to process.

Here's my 3 scents-

I would blatantly copy KASEY's 350X/1985-86 250R rear suspension set-up, thank him and send him a present!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=kasey+builds

I would run a highly modified shock off a 1985-86 250R. These shocks have tons of potential, so does the stock 350X shock but to a lesser degree.

This set-up would be hard to beat. IMHO

Remember some pro's won the Baja 1000 on a almost stock 1981 250r.

Keep in mind with your modified 350X swing arm will have more travel than 7.6" also the shock can be repositioned for more travel as well.

Also, the stock brakes will last 1000 miles, you do pad changes along the way, but if you want more modern brakes the KTM late model Brembo's are the best, but the late model Honda Nissin CR brakes are close. Custom brackets will be needed. Brake fluid is the most important aspect to good brakes in Baja.

Let me know if you need some Baja/endurance help, I have build tons of Kawasaki KX250/KX500/KLR650 bikes over the years for Kawasaki Team Green riders and they won/finished. I know a ATC is not a bike, but they are much closer than some would think. I have built a lot of Honda 250r & 200x trikes for ADRA racing in Arizona they were only about a 100 miles per race, but overall much tougher than Mexico races for there was no down time or long roads to recover. The dynamically unstable guys (Sorry I don't know your names) raced these races with a trike that was fairly stock & close to what they are racing today.

I would not kill yourself over the clutch, a new stock clutch set-up with stock springs and synthetic oil will be fine. I am sure there are some guys on this board that have a lot more than 1000 miles on a stock clutch.

If anything I would be much more worried about the- crank, rod, piston & valves.

The tall desert seat from Hi Flite is great, but make sure it has old or broken in foam, if you cannot break it in before the race you can stab it a couple hundred times with a ice pick or #1 phillips screwdriver your with thank you!
    I've got nothing to add to this other than thank you for your knowledge and contibutions lately. I truly enjoy reading your post and find damn near every one of them informative. It's honestly a breath of internet fresh air. Kudos

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //