//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 350X baja race buildup

--
    Like the header pipe what are your plans for the rest of the exhaust?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sledcrazyinCT View Post
    Like the header pipe what are your plans for the rest of the exhaust?
    I think he's going to run a straight exhaust, that way its so loud they close down Mexico to motorsports.

The lack of backpressure should make it fly and make jetting a breeze!

Really, I am sure he has something trick up his sleeve it seems to be the norm with this Cat.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    Post man came again. More goodies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very cool, but you are going to need Mr. Clean to get the Baja/Manzanita rash out of them after a 1000 miles in Mexico.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

Toaster556 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Will you be having the 250R dampening rods modified for better performance? If so, why not go with early (81-83) XR200R dampening rods and tubes? 9.8 inches of travel. I'm sure Race Tech can modify the rods suitably, they were around back when people raced XR200s on a serious level.

--
    interesting.

Plastics, Once the race is over, they are coming off the bike and being put on the garage/shop wall. I will not even wash them! I'm doing this race for me and all the fellow trikers whom ever wanted to try this. I want to always remember what it was like out there and so once it is done and we get the bike home, plastics will come off. $400 is cheap for a lifetime of memories. (I just really hope I do not disappoint everyone here). I have the following goals.
    1. Finish
    2. Stay alive
    3. Do not disappoint the Triker community
    Those are my 3 main goals to be honest.

Muffler? what's that? I love straights!!!!!
    Honestly, I am looing at the XR400 muffler for this build. FMF has a very nice alloy one. I looked at the super trap stuff but they have gotten very expensive over the last couple of years, about $400 with shipping for a muffler. The FMF is tunable and is about $280 shipped. So for budget, that will most likely be my move. The 350x mufflers are all too small in the inlet pipe section. So I am forced to go larger. I may even consider a 450R muffler. I will just have to measure and see.

Suspension,
    Yes we are going to be using the 83-84 250R damper rods for better suspension and 1-2" of longer travel and better dampening ability. Funny you mentioned the XR stuff. I have a set of XR250R, ATC250R (83-84) on the way here now so we can mic and test what will work best. I am ordering a 2nd set of 83-84 250r stuff for my 2nd suspension set. I am also getting race Tech to do a custom set of .52KG springs over the .48 they offer online. the little extra will make a difference when the rubber hits the road.

Onformula1, All your help is greatly appreciated and it is very welcomed! Thanks a ton sir!

I have had a few people asking me where I come up with the ideas I have.
    1. The follow triker Community here is AWESOME!!!!!
    2. I am an engineer by trade. Granted it's computers, but still I look at problems and always think of multiple ways to solve it,t hen find the path of least resistance for that resolution.
    3. I used to build drag and road race cars as well as drive them, so this Trikes and Quads are simple to me when it comes to the standard core stuff. The hard part is things like the forks or rear shock, for the type of riding I need it designed for. So I turn to the experts. A good engineer knows his limits and knows when to ask for help. There is never any shame in reaching out for assistance. I honestly always welcome it.
    Last edited by oscarmayer; 04-05-2015 at 09:39 AM.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--

350X baja race buildup

Happy Easter to me!!!
    More goodies!!

These babies are 12 full inches. Go on ask me how I know. I double dog dare you!!
    ;-)

The electronic controller prices came in sat. So all I need is the battery and my lighting is done!
    Still working on Nerfs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Hey, isn't your race like 18 days away?

https://www.norra.com/mexican1000.php

--
    yea, but I'm not racing the 2015. I'm doing it in 2016. I have a shattered 1" long bone spur in my left elbow and a 1/4" broken in my right. I have to have surgery to remove the pieces and fix my tendons they have been tearing up. So, I am working on building the bike and getting spare stuff together till surgery. once that is done, I will then work on getting into shape and start racing in the Cross-Country series I mentioned in another thread. This will help train me better and give me seat time in a controlled environment like I need. (will be racing Quads with my trike woot!!!!! )
    I do wish I was going this year, but I cannot.

--
    This is great, I'm glad to see that someone else is stepping into the ring!! We've said many times amongst ourselves that we're simply "Proof of concept" this year with a goal to just finish and get the 250r down to Cabo. Hopefully, next year and beyond, we can get enough ATC's entered that it can turn into an actual race.

Although this will be our first time racing an ATC in Baja, we've raced a Motorcycle in the 500 and the 1000 (Finished both) so thankfully we're not going down 100% green. The most important piece of advice is build your bike for reliability and don't focus too much on performance. Keep in mind that the factory Honda 450x (Johnny Campbells team) will average around 55mph for a 1000 mile race. These guys have nothing to do with their day but ride, train and pre-run the course. And, they have a helicopter spotting for them... Since NORRA doesn't allow any pre-running, that moving average will be significantly less in my opinion.

As you're going through your build, keep in mind that you could potentially be on your trike for 8+ hours a day for five days straight. Running a straight pipe or at minimum a really loud pipe could get really old really quick especially on the road sections with road and wind noise. As you go through the days, fatigue will become an issue (especially if you plan to ironman) so be sure to do all that you can to be comfortable. Quiet bikes aren't as cool but as I said fatigue will set in and that's when people start making mistakes.

Racing and riding in Baja is like nothing else, once you've done it once, you'll be forever hooked. The kids come running out of their houses screaming at you like you're some rock star. The locals are amazing and they absolutely love off-road racing. We go down there as often as possible because it really is that amazing.

NORRA has purpose built this race to be fun but, it's still 1300 miles over the span of 5 days. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it..

I'll be sure to take plenty of mental notes to pass along and help you with your prep. Keep moving toward your goal, you're doing great!!!

-Craig
    Dynamically Unstable Racing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DUR Logo Small.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	213892
    Last edited by baja500bound; 04-07-2015 at 03:44 PM.

--
    Thanks you a ton sir! I am very much appreciative!
    I think me and cliff bars will become good friends! ;-)
    right now I am focusing on weight loss. I lost 13 lbs already by lowering my intakes and drinking more water. I have cut out most of my junk food. How do you recommend I physically prep for this? I know I will have to be in great shape, so I'm hoping you may have some advice. My thoughts are some muscle, but lots of stamina.

Craig, on a person note, I hope you guys have a great time and be careful. Come back safe and sound sir! all of you!

Do you have a gopro? if not, I can overnight you one to use and you can record the day then copy data at night to a laptop and reformat mem card for next day's ride. that was my plans.

--
    The kids come running like you're a rockstar Craig,because you ARE Good luck again.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Be aware that Honda welds the XR400 headpipe on the inside and it has to ground out and welded inside. Or it's actually more restricting.

I do not know why they weld it inside. Jason said maybe it was fear of cracking so I had mine hogged out and Tig welded the outside. It's a stainless steel pipe so it's nice. You'll need a small custom midpipe. I had to make one because not 1 muffler shop had a spreader that small (out of 4 of them, crazy)....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    Thanks you a ton sir! I am very much appreciative!
    I think me and cliff bars will become good friends! ;-)
    right now I am focusing on weight loss. I lost 13 lbs already by lowering my intakes and drinking more water. I have cut out most of my junk food. How do you recommend I physically prep for this? I know I will have to be in great shape, so I'm hoping you may have some advice. My thoughts are some muscle, but lots of stamina.

Craig, on a person note, I hope you guys have a great time and be careful. Come back safe and sound sir! all of you!

Do you have a gopro? if not, I can overnight you one to use and you can record the day then copy data at night to a laptop and reformat mem card for next day's ride. that was my plans.
    Dropping pounds and gaining stamina is never a bad thing regardless of what you're planning so hats off to you for even thinking about that. We did the Baja 1000 in 2010 (Ensenada to La Paz non-stop) and my thought process while training was, if I wad up the bike, I need to have the strength to pick myself and potentially the bike up and move on. Physical strength and stamina are important but even more importantly is the "Never give up" attitude.

Once again, NORRA is a completely different format than SCORE but, there are still miles and miles of desert around you and you'll most likely be all alone. Go into it with the mentality that nobody is going to help you and getting out of the desert solely depends on your ability to manage the challenge that's in front of you. Regardless of what the challenge may be.

Most of all, have fun!

As for the GoPro, I do have one and I plan to take it. If all goes well and things are coming together, I'll definitely get some footage. If tasks become hectic, the GoPro is the first item that drops on the priority list but, I absolutely plan to get as much footage as possible. Thank you very much for the offer of a loaner, that's very nice of you but we're covered.

I will definitely take notes and pass along any and all lessons learned to help you on your quest to be the first ironman ATC racer in almost 30 years... Hammer Down!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    The kids come running like you're a rockstar Craig,because you ARE Good luck again.
    Thanks!!! I'll pass along to the other guys that they're Rockstars..

Thanks again for the luck, every little bit helps!!

--
    Thanks man! really 30 years? WOW! I feel very humble and honored even to have this amazing opportunity to bring Trikes back to the racing scene.
    Good luck sir!
    When are ya'll headed out? Is there anything I can do or supply to help you guys?

Tell the guys this:
    First rule of Baja, There is no Baja! ;-) Kick it's (_)_) sir!!!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //