//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 350X baja race buildup

--

350X baja race buildup

With MANY life changing thigns happening (Divorce, surgery, finances damaged) it was decided we will move the Baja race for us to compete to 2017. Milner and Myself will both be racing together as 2 trikers in the 2017 Norra 1000, and I am even considering the entire Cortez Challenge!!!!
    We are doing some possible design changes that may rock the trike world for 350X builders and this is a great thing! more details to come as we get them.

ok I am starting a thread for my 350x Baja racer build. I am 100% for sure going to run the Narra 1000 next year with my 350x.

Colors have changed to the following
    White body and tank
    Anodized blue frame and rear swinger
    Alloy color wheels
    Anodized blue handle bars
    Polished fork tubes
    Blue Rubber boots
    Blue seat

Here is what I am at so far with parts:

White new plastic kit with super scoops
    TCP trikes gusset kit
    billet extended rear axle (300ex modded to fit)
    new sprockets
    new pro-taper chain (strongest available)
    custom rebuild rear shock valved and spring for my weight
    Custom rebuild front forks with Emulators and Gold valves for better comp and dampening controls
    rear swinger was extended 2.2" total over stock
    new bearings all the way around
    new rear bearing carrier
    new seat
    new IMS tank
    Auxiliary 1.2gal tank
    new rear grab bar (desert racer style ;-) )
    working on getting custom built Nerfs that can actually take a beating in racing conditions and survive
    38mm Mikuni carb (easier to tune and work on in the desert and will have spare rebuild kit on hand)
    open uni 2-step foam filter w/ outerwears cover (3 sets of these 2 for spares)
    motion pro cables
    motion pro twist throttle conversion kit (on long rides easier than thumb throttle)
    8" DWT rear wheels
    Duro sponsors my son and are willing to sponsor my desert racer so I will be using their rear MX tires
    oem kedena 200x style front tire (new)
    pro taper handle bars
    new high cushion grips
    stainless steel braided brake lines
    TRX450R clutch and master front brake lever assemblies
    front and rear caliper rebuild kits
    front and rear brake pads
    all-balls steering stem upgrade
    all-balls bearings used elsewhere on the bike (swinger, front wheel, etc)

so chassis is 95% complete at this point for parts needed (minus the tool box I need and aux fuel tank I will be ordering as a last resort once I have tested fuel consumption on the final machine to see how far it goes on 1 tank)

Engine:
    Stock right now. I was wanting more power and torque but I need it dead nutz reliable. I figure Mickey can help in that section. I may have to see about doing a "lease" on a spare motor as well just incase I am down there and it lets loose. I was hoping one of the shops here will work with me on a rebuilt spare and if it is used I pay a specified amount if not, it gets returned unused. and I pay a lease for having it available as a loaner. (maybe like a $300 deposit or something)

I figure since this was a 100% original motor with good compression, I probably don't have to worry about broken trans gearing. I'll rebuild the bottom end with new bearings and seals. I'll also redo the top end with higher comp big bore setup of some sorts. Not sure a stroker would be a good idea in the desert on an air-cooled motor. Head will need bigger valves, porting work and a better cam for sure.
    I have to have the decomp setup working 100%. I cannot afford to be in the desert have it not work and break my leg on a kick back. Another option is I have seen an aftermarket decomp lever that goes in the sparkplug hole between the plug and head. There is a button you push and it opens a valve that lets pressure escape to the atmosphere reducing compression for starting. that may also be another option. If someone has ideas, kick them my way.

exhaust, I have the 400EX exhaust I was going to have modified for the 350X and use an aftermarket 450R muffler assembly.

All said and done the bike will be 100% revamped with modern technology. If you have some ideas that may help or recommendations please feel free to chime in. I am always open to good ideas. This will be my first Baja race let alone on an ATC.

Thanks for looking.
    Mike
    Last edited by oscarmayer; 10-30-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: date change

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

dman10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Pics?
    Sounds like a solid plans to me. I'm rather excited to see this build. It excites me.
    What part of Texas are you in? North?
    Quote Originally Posted by tri again View Post
    Cool stuff seems to happen when I'm sleeping.
    Nice to know things happen without me.

--
    ^ yea DFW area.
    Thanks for the compliments!
    right now no pics as the bike is just completely dissembled. a lot of parts are here but not everything. I will start photos once I start installing the gusset kit and will go from there.
    I never was one to take photos of a bunch of parts just to show I have parts. I figure once it is done, it will be a fun trike to ride no matter what.

--
    Can't wait!

--
    I think you should consider going with OEM bearings instead of the all- balls. I've had nothing but troubles with the all-balls stuff. The OEM stuff holds up for decades.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

xrider is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I would only caution on the nerf bars. If you go that route, I would make them smaller than the ones out there. Basically enough area to provide a slip point for your boot. Much larger and you have potential to snag them on something or dig them into the ground if you land off camber. Other than that, the more suspension the better for that race. Curious to see some pics as you continue your build

--
    This is awesome, really excited for this!!
    1983 ATC 200x
    1982 ATC 250R X2
    1983 ATC 250R : Future build
    1985 ATC 250R : Main rider
    1985 ATC 363R Duner
    1985 ATC 250R X2 : Future build
    1986 ATC 250ES

--
    thanks for the info Xrider, Yea, we will have to be weary of that. I am actually going to have them made different with a up curve on the main sections rather than flat straight like they are currently just for that reason. I feel the current models are ok for looks and for putting, but for racing will as you mentioned, snag and not hold up. I am probably going to have to find a tube bender and bend the main hoop section myself because the places I talked to all are several states away and have to have the trike there for test fitting. So, I can get a tube bender, bend the main hoop section and build the custom support brackets and sections and go from there. Foot pegs will be really wide like a quad. I prefer that much better to the thin stuff we have now.

I am waiting till I get the gusset kit in to start taking photos and working on the it. The fork tubes, I have thought about just polished, but then I am also thinking of same anodized blue as the frame and swinger to match. Not 100% sure.

Does someone know where I can get fork tube protectors from? what about an old school front brake cover?

--
    I wonder if you could use a decomp lever off an XR dirtbike (my 1982 XL500 has one, I thought many others did also)? Or if you need something more modern maybe you can use a clutch hand lever from a CRF/YZF and adapt the small hot start lever to be a decomp. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes as far as vendors go, but check out this page to see what models had decomp/hot start levers built into the bars:

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/perchassy.html

If it was me, I'd look for an ASV lever for an XR650 or XR400. You'd get the nice, folding, hard to break clutch lever along with a thumb operated decomp. Just have to figure out the bracket on the head...

--
    thanks for the info Jeddy, I will certainly check that out. may be a better option. I'll know more once I start the motor rebuild.

--
    Fork/disc guards have not been made for years- Phase Five, Maier, UFO & Acerbis made them...Maybe you could find some NOS ones or a member here may have some tucked away. (The Acerbis were the best)

You could probably adapt Honda XR600 guards like these-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UFO-Plastics...fc2ace&vxp=mtr

Think about hard anodizing the fork sliders they won't be blue, but last much longer & look trick.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Usually if you order 10 (if memory serves me) maier will repop a mold. I am very confident you could easily sell the remaining 9 on the forum...I have a set for my 350x...mind you they are used but would be willing to send them in to make a mold - but I am sure someone out there has a nos set for a better example.

--
    the less stuff you have on your bike that can rattle or fall off, the better. guard or no guard, if you hit something hard enough, and you WILL in baja, any plastic "guard" will be useless. stick with the basics: large fuel capacity, proper cooling, long travel, and good tires. do LOTS of R&D, dont worry about looks as much as function of all your components. buy new and buy two.

--
    Ditch the guard idea. Riding in the harsh surroundings of a desert, they will hold in debris and grind down everything underneath them. They have their place on garage queens and that's about it.

--
    Ok thanks for the info bkm. Sounds defiantly like you know from experience. I will take your word on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //