//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Little Impostor" mini I'm working on...

--

"Little Impostor" mini I'm working on...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150327_200619.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	213225

Name:	20150327_200330.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	213226

Always wanted a suspended mini, with the many showing up lately I have decided to give it a go.
    This is what I have as of now, just mocking things up. It looks a little big, but, the swingarm is resting on top of the carrier (very high) and will need to be shortened about 5 inches.
    Then, the dreaded rake mod, which I have a plan for, once the rear suspension is sorted out. I believe it will end up about 7-8 inches shorter and about 3" lower of what I have right now.
    We'll see.

I'll be making a KTM impostor, in reality is a 2003 KX100 I got very, very cheap. The fenders will be white, some KTM decals will tie it all up.
    Comments are welcomed.
    Let me know what you think...

TORKER...
    Last edited by torker; 01-03-2016 at 01:00 AM.
    THOSE WHO SAY IT CANNOT BE DONE, SHOULD NOT GET IN THE WAY OF THOSE BUSY DOING IT...

--
    Cool. Nice to see another mini build starting up. Is that a quad front wheel on the front?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 200X FT View Post
    Cool. Nice to see another mini build starting up. Is that a quad front wheel on the front?
    Yes, it's a modified 250r front hub with a stock banshee front wheel. The front still needs some work, but it will work.

TORKER.
    THOSE WHO SAY IT CANNOT BE DONE, SHOULD NOT GET IN THE WAY OF THOSE BUSY DOING IT...

--
    That's neat. Should be an awesome ride when it's finished.

--
    Your choice of triples are your biggest issue with the rake.

--
    Although the rake will affect how well the suspension works, the trail affects the handling much more than the rake. The trick is to find a place in the middle.

--
    Thanks for stopping by Ben. Your minis have been of great inspiration for this build. The 250R tripples and (rebuilt) forks are what I have to work with and the fact that I have decided to use the USD forks for the Tecate are the reasons for this. However, the frame neck will be cut and adjusted accordingly once the rear suspension is completed. I have done my homework about rake and trail, but I have still much to learn on the subject. This is my first time dealing with that, we will see how it turns out.
    I have changed a few cosmetic things on the "KTM IMPOSTOR" just to see how it will look. So far, I like it. The front fender will be white.
    Here are a few pics as it sits today.

Name:	20150330_225125.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	213397 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150330_225155.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	213398

Sorry, I have no idea why the pics are sideways...
    Last edited by torker; 06-11-2015 at 10:03 AM.

--

Name:	20150330_225141.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	213401

Another one. Why is it sideways is beyond me, sorry.

--
    What did you use for a swingarm? These little trikes are a blast to ride, your gonna love it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by just ben View Post
    What did you use for a swingarm? These little trikes are a blast to ride, your gonna love it.
    For swingarm I'll be cutting/shortening The aluminum stocker about 5 inches (this measurement can change) and modifying/welding brackets to accept the stock 85 250R round carrier. Kind of like the aftermarket round house banshee swingarms. I've ordered a laser sprocket alignment tool, so the sprockets are as perfect as I can possibly get them. I've already put new swingarm bearings, they were destroyed and so is the linkage. I have an e-bay linkage already on its way, along with new chain rollers. When everything is as its suppposed to be, without any play or unwanted movement on the rear end I'll go ahead and complete the measurements and the cutting/modifying and welding of the rear end.
    I hope it turns out to be half the fun of the RM trike on your video. I've never welded aluminum, so I'll take it to a friend that builds swingarms, so he can finish the job.

TORKER.

--
    I forgot to mention that I already have the new chain and sprockets for this project. I converted from 420 stock KX chain and sprockets to 428. The main reason beeing that the rear sprocket that fits its a 428 from a trx 125 and. Also, having a lot more weight and more rear grip may break a lesser chain. Plus, I like to build stuff with new bearings, chain and sprockets.

TORKER
    Last edited by torker; 06-11-2015 at 10:06 AM.

--
    I know I have not updated this in a while, reason being that I had to make a new swingarm. I am no welder or fabricator, even tho I have a little Lincoln 140 welding machine.
    Having lost a the CR500 trike because the swingarm sucked and was kind of twisted, I bit the bullet and started making my first swing arm.
    Don't be too hard on me, I know the welds are not beautiful, but they'll do its job fine, until I cut the new material, will be chromoly tubing. Could also go aluminum, but I can't weld it.

So, here are some pics of the new swinger:

Name:	20160102_185431.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	939.1 KB 
ID:	225657

Name:	20160102_185459.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	893.1 KB 
ID:	225658

Name:	20160102_185521.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	961.6 KB 
ID:	225659

Name:	20160102_185540.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	931.0 KB 
ID:	225660

Name:	20160102_185616_001.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	225661

So, my first swingarm is done. I've learned a few things during its construction that will be applied to the next one.
    This one weight in at 4 pounds. Lighter than I thought. Still have to weld the caliper carrier pin.
    For all Master builders here, your constructive criticism is welcome. Please, don't be 2 hard. I'll learn as I go...

TORKER.
    Last edited by torker; 01-03-2016 at 09:34 AM.

--
    Just finish putting the swingarm on. Went in like it should. Chain alignment is straight and spot on (it was of great concern to me).

Here it is standing on its 3 feet for the first time (other times were for mock-up).

Name:	20160102_230043 (2).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	225664

Name:	20160102_230035.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	225665

Name:	20160102_230001_001.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	225666

I think I'll put the brakes and try it my next day off, even tho it still needs a ton of work...

TORKER.
    Last edited by torker; 01-03-2016 at 09:37 AM.

--
    I think that the flex on one side or the other, and your too weak; that rear seems like you might tear it off.

You don't seem to have enough surface area for that main pivot point; It won't be good if it breaks off.

Too much side force and twisting. You can buy whatever diameter you need; DOM or other tubing.

Look in Speedymetals.com for one foot of either pipe, DOM or welded pipe etc etc. Your gonna need a buddy with a lathe or get yourself a 500$ Craigslist lathe; There on there!!.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    I think that the flex on one side or the other, and your too weak; that rear seems like you might tear it off.

You don't seem to have enough surface area for that main pivot point; It won't be good if it breaks off.

Too much side force and twisting. You can buy whatever diameter you need; DOM or other tubing.

Look in Speedymetals.com for one foot of either pipe, DOM or welded pipe etc etc. Your gonna need a buddy with a lathe or get yourself a 500$ Craigslist lathe; There on there!!.....

The front pivots are chromoly tubing as wide as will fit, maybe thicker chro-mo tubing there?
    For the rears, do you mean a one piece tube instead of the chro-mo rings? It will definately flex a lot less and be stronger.
    I have access to a nice lathe and mill, but what are you suggesting I build with it? Thanks for your input.

TORKER.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //