//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guide: Upgrading Stock Headlamp to LED on ATC 200 ES

--

Guide: Upgrading Stock Headlamp to LED on ATC 200 ES

Here is a handy guide for an almost drop-in LED replacement for your headlight. The headlight when installed will look completely stock and fit inside your original headlight housing. In addition, it has high and low beams, and hooks into your existing wiring so that your stock headlight switch will work to turn it on to low and high beams. You should be able to do this for about $30 (cost of light) and in less than an hour. You'll need a wire cutter/stripper, and some wire nuts or electrical tape. Existing hardware can be used for mounting the new headlight inside your stock housing.

Frustrated by the dim stock headlamp on my ATC 200 ES, I decided I wanted to upgrade it to something brighter. However, I wanted to maintain the look of the stock headlight.
    I searched these forums far and wide about upgrading the headlamp to LED, but hadn't found anything definitive. So I decided to find a solution.
    Here is my new headlight installed in the stock housing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newoneinstalled.jpg 
Views:	979 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	213795

Read on to find out how I did it. But first read about some other options and all the concerns with doing this before 3-wheeling ahead!

Other Lighting Options:
    Several users have added additional lighting to their 3 wheelers by clamping on small LED lights, such as 27w accessory lights, and wiring those into the accessory port. Some people have changed the stock headlight bulb to a brighter bulb, and others have suggested putting a sealed beam halogen bulb in place of the stock headlamp.
    However, changing out your bulb, switching to halogen, or adding additional lights all have one big drawback: Your power usage.

Electrical Considerations
    The stock alternator on the 200 ES will put out about 5 amps, 70 watts. This is your power budget, which you do not want to exceed. Going over this limit can cause your lights to be dim, can blow your fuses, drain your battery, or possibly damage your alternator.
    The stock headlamp is 45 watts, drawing 4 Amp on high beam and 2 Amp on low beam. Your taillight is 5 watts, drawing about .5 amps. So with your stock equipment, you're already using 50 watts 4.5 Amps, almost all of the available capacity of your alternator. You need to save a little power for the rest of the system and to keep your battery charged.
    This is why we need to use an LED. Only a LED light can provide a substantial amount of additional light while drawing the same or less power.

If You Don't Have a 200 ES
    For other models of 3 wheelers, the power level to the headlight may not be constant. This could damage your LEDs. You'll need to add a voltage regulator to the power going to the new headlight.
    The 200 ES provides steady power to the headlamp, because it has a full wave rectifier, due to the battery, and the electrical system being designed to have variable loads.
    If your trike does not have a battery, the resistance of the headlamp is actually used to regulate voltage. You probably notice that your headlamp brightness can change with how hard you run the engine. A voltage regulator will take that variable input of power and provide a steady 12 volts output.
    The good news is that they are cheap and plentiful. Just search for 12v voltage regulator for ATV, like this: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+regulator+atv

With that said, I present to you this guide for upgrading your headlamp to LED.

First, the LED headlamp assembly.
    You'll need a 6.5 or 6.6 inch sealed beam LED headlamp, with high and low beam.
    I chose a 45 watt model, I wanted to stick with 45 watts because that is what the stock headlamp used. Because it is LED though, that 45 watts will give you a lot more light, at least twice as much. The 45 watt LED should draw about 3.75 amps. This is about equivalent to the power draw of the stock headlamp.
    Here is the one I bought, sitting next to the stock headlamp after I removed the stock headlamp from the plastic housing:

Name:	Oldandnew.jpg 
Views:	3552 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	213793
    These can be a little hard to find, especially finding just one, as most sellers sell them in pairs (for trucks, jeeps, etc).
    Here is an example: http://hg-light.en.made-in-china.com...10-30V-DC.html
    You should be able to find them on ebay from various sellers. I actually bought mine on Wish.com, it was cheapest source to get just a single unit, the only drawback was that it was shipped from China and took about 2 weeks to arrive. Here is a link to all the ones on Wish: https://www.wish.com/search/45%206.5%20LED
    I chose the 6.5 inch unit, to give me a little room for installing it, but afterwords, I believe the 6.6 inch would be a slightly better fit.
    At this time of writing, the going price was $30.

Installation
    Remove your stock headlight assembly from plastic housing. This is done by removing two bolts, one on each side of the housing, and a screw on the bottom of the housing. Then, remove the light bulb and light bulb receptacle from the housing.
    Here is the housing after removal:

Name:	backofhousing.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	213792
    There is an outside metal frame, with clips which holds the glass and reflector in place to the frame.
    Remove these wire clips so that you can separate the glass and reflector from the metal frame. Save the clips, we will use them again.
    Now, lay the new LED assembly face down on the metal frame:

Name:	newheadlight housing back.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	213790

Name:	newheadlight in housing.jpg 
Views:	567 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	213791
    You will re-use the clips to secure the new LED in the metal frame. You may need to bend the clips slightly to fit the shape of the new LED housing, but these clips should be able to hold the LED securely in the metal frame, as shown in the picture above.
    Now, it is time to wire it up.
    First, remove the wires going to the bulb receptacle. There may be connectors you can re-use, or just cut the wires and strip them.

Name:	lightbulbwires.jpg 
Views:	1156 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	213789
    Here is a picture of how the wiring goes so you can line your wires up from old to new.

Name:	how to wire.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	213788
    The new LED assembly should come with a block with 3 pins on it. You can either attach your wires to these pins, or just cut the block off and wire the wires together.
    If your assembly and 3 wheeler is like mine, then your blue wire from 3 wheeler goes to red wire on LED, white wire goes to blue, and green goes to black.
    Wired correctly, you should be able to turn the headlight on and off, and between high and low beam with your light switch.
    The way the LED works is that in low beam half of the LEDs are on, and in high beam all of the LEDs are on.
    Test your light before inserting it into the housing. In low beam, one full row of LEDs should be on, the light should be installed so that this on the bottom.
    Stick the LED and metal frame back into the plastic housing and put the screw and bolts back in.
    Congratulations, you are done!

Before and After

Here is the stock light high beam inside:

Name:	Before-OldHeadlight.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	213794
    Here is the new light high beam in same location:

Name:	After-NewHeadlight.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	213796
    Much better!
    And finally, here is my new view while riding outside:

Name:	Outside.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	213787

Resources

The following posts were useful for me while doing some research when starting this project:
    ATC wiring diagrams: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content...iagram-section
    Discussion about upgrading headlight: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...772-Light-Bulb
    Another discussion about LEDs: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ht-Replacement

I hope you enjoyed this guide!
    I'll be posting some other cool things I did with my ATC soon!
    Last edited by farmerfrederick; 04-08-2015 at 11:13 PM.

--
    Very cool upgrade. I've seen others add lights, but I really like the stock replacement look.

Rob

--
    Wow these are basically a direct oem replacement besides the wiring O.o.

If anyone is interested, I could build a wire adapter for these for pretty cheap, or if there is enough interest, I can look into buying quantity and replacing the connectors on them to be a simple swap and plug in.

Ironically I was planning to try to install some LED fog logs on my 250es, but the ones I sourced isn't a nice fit like these ones.

--
    Very nice work!

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Is the led headlamp high beam only, or can it be dimmed?

--
    According to the wish.com listing, it does have high and low beams. Factory plug is H4 which is similar to the old style 250r headlight plugs or older cars.

Material: Die-cast aluminum
    Body Color: Clear + Black
    Size: 170 mm x 105mm x 80mm (L x W x H)
    This is the newest headlights are 100% LED and will fit any 4x6.5" Rectangular headlight. These lights have both high beam AND low beam, together in one housing! This headlight will replace any sealed beam 165mm rectangular lamp housing.
    15 X*3 W high intensity LED
    Wattage: 45W
    Lumens: 3060LM
    AMP: 3.75A /12V ,1.875A /24V
    Operating Voltage: 9-30V DC
    These Lights Replace Both H4656 And H4651 Headlights
    Factory H4 Plug
    Waterproof Rate: IP67
    Beam Type: SPOT BEAM
    Life Span: 30000H
    Working temperature: -40~85°c
    Color Temperature: 5500K (Cool White)
    Highbeam/Lowbeam Function
    Shock and Vibration Resistant
    LEN: PMMA

--
    GREAT first post!

Thank you, Farmerfrederick.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    Is the led headlamp high beam only, or can it be dimmed?
    Yes, the unit that I bought and wrote the guide about does have a high and low beam. Basically, the light consists of 15 LEDs, arranged in 3 rows of 5. On low beam, the whole bottom row and half of the middle row light up. On high beam, all of the LEDs are lit. This is why I mentioned that you should test the light before installing it back in the housing, so that you make sure that on low beam the light is oriented properly with the low beam section on the bottom. I'm not quite sure, but I think the low beam also has more "flood" type LEDs, while the high beam is more "spot" type LEDs. If this is the case, orientation of the light is even more important.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Wow these are basically a direct oem replacement besides the wiring O.o.

If anyone is interested, I could build a wire adapter for these for pretty cheap, or if there is enough interest, I can look into buying quantity and replacing the connectors on them to be a simple swap and plug in.

Ironically I was planning to try to install some LED fog logs on my 250es, but the ones I sourced isn't a nice fit like these ones.
    You are correct! These fit in there so well that they are basically a direct replacement.
    The connector on the new light is an H4 plug.
    I chose to wire mine up directly wire-to-wire, but someone could easily wire in an H4 socket to plug the light into.
    You could buy one of these and wire it in for a socket: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ocket&tbm=shop
    If you do end up making a wire adapter, let me know, and I'll edit my original post to provide a link to your adapter.

--
    What happened to the first part of the thread?

--
    Second that!
    85 350X, 85 250R, 99 TRX 90, 05 Predator 90, 05 TRX 400ex, 2019 RZR4 XP100
    FEEDBACK for Vegas250rr

--
    Woah..

Maybe OP was banned/deleted, or someone deleted the first post which messed up the thread?

--
    ^^^It contained a lot of good info... wish I had a link to buy a similar led headlight for my 200es.

--
    I might have sourced a supplier, if all goes well, I'd be selling the lights with the correct OEM connection for around $40 + shipping. Sadly the price for each light is pretty high from the place I found unless you're buying quite a few ($45 single with shipping). The OP found a place selling for $30 with free shipping but I can't seem to find the link.

Based purely on the headlight housing part number, it will fit the following models:

1984 ATC200ES
    1984-1985 ATC200M
    1984 TRX200 A HEADLIGHT

I suspect more will interchange, I'll just have to do some research and possibly look for testers for machines I don't own, or buy the headlight buckets and such off ebay.

Once I get my order in the mail, I'll rewrite the tut. Website says 5-15 business days.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 04-09-2015 at 07:01 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    I might have sourced a supplier, if all goes well, I'd be selling the lights with the correct OEM connection for around $40 + shipping. Sadly the price for each light is pretty high from the place I found unless you're buying quite a few ($45 single with shipping). The OP found a place selling for $30 with free shipping but I can't seem to find the link.

Based purely on the headlight housing part number, it will fit the following models:

1984 ATC200ES
    1984-1985 ATC200M
    1984 TRX200 A HEADLIGHT

I suspect more will interchange, I'll just have to do some research and possibly look for testers for machines I don't own, or buy the headlight buckets and such off ebay.

Once I get my order in the mail, I'll rewrite the tut. Website says 5-15 business days.
    Hello! Original poster here. I wasn't banned. I tried to edit my original thread to add some more information about the headlight, but after submitting my edits, the entire post disappeared! I am not sure if a moderator needs to re-approve my edits, since I am a new member, or if editing somehow caused it to be deleted. In any case, I still have all the information and can re-post it if need be!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //