//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Guide: Upgrading Stock Headlamp to LED on ATC 200 ES

--
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederick View Post
    Yes, the unit that I bought and wrote the guide about does have a high and low beam. Basically, the light consists of 15 LEDs, arranged in 3 rows of 5. On low beam, the whole bottom row and half of the middle row light up. On high beam, all of the LEDs are lit. This is why I mentioned that you should test the light before installing it back in the housing, so that you make sure that on low beam the light is oriented properly with the low beam section on the bottom. I'm not quite sure, but I think the low beam also has more "flood" type LEDs, while the high beam is more "spot" type LEDs. If this is the case, orientation of the light is even more important.
    First of all, thank you for the excellent write up. I used this how to on both my 82 ATC 200 and 84 200X.

One correction though, the light is oriented correctly when the low beam lights the top half of the light. It is a reflection so everything is reversed.

Also, a question while I'm here if anyone can help. I haven't gotten a voltage regulator/rectifier to work on the 200X. I got one of the small black 4 pin boxes that didn't work. Then, I thought it would be best to buy one from an ATV that had a factory battery. Instead of being smart and buying one for an ATC with a battery, I got one for a 300EX. It puts out a nice steady 14.1V but as soon as I hook a battery or the headlight to it, the engine either stumbles or dies altogether. It has 3 wires coming from the alternator and my 200X only has 2. My question is what regulator/rectifier will for sure work on the 200X? I'm going to get one from a 200E or ES for my regular 200, because what I have works but isn't consistent. The alternator on my 200 has 3 wires, not 2 like the 200X. I'm going to be adding a small battery to it and it should work nice.

Any help is much appreciated.

--
    You need to move the ground on the lighting coil. That's the third wire that should be coming from the stator cover to the reg/rectifier. You have to go in there and disconnect the ground from the case and solder a wire to the end of that and run it outside the case to the reg/rectifier

This thread here explains it:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?t=173978

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 03-12-2017 at 11:16 AM.

--
    Wow, thank you for the tech. I would've never figured that out on my own! I'll try that today and let you know how it goes.

So, that ground is the third wire on my 200 and when I add the better one to it, this won't be necessary, right?

--
    I'm not sure how the stator is designed on your 82. Stators are one of the things Honda liked to change alot it would seem

I can only speak for what I did to an 85 200X to run LEDs successfully

Last edited by ironchop; 03-12-2017 at 12:12 PM.

--
    I have an 85 250SX. Its electrical system is pretty much the same as the ES, isn't it? This should be a drop-in conversion for the SX exactly as shown, right?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I'm not sure how the stator is designed on your 82. Stators are one of the things Honda liked to change alot it would seem

I can only speak for what I did to an 85 200X to run LEDs successfully

What kind of regulator/rectifier did you use for yours? The one I have for the 300EX has 5 wires. 3 yellows from the stator, then power and ground out to the battery. I'm hoping the ground wire you recommended will allow me to use the 300EX setup that I already have. If not, I'll grab one like you used since it is a tested theory for the 200X.

I think your right about Honda switching stator types frequently. I want to put a more powerful one from an ES on my little 200. Mine is 50W and those have 70W, I think. I figured that they're basically the same setup but I don't think they'll interchange. It looks like the side cover is a good bit different on the electric start models, which makes sense.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Herboso View Post
    I have an 85 250SX. Its electrical system is pretty much the same as the ES, isn't it? This should be a drop-in conversion for the SX exactly as shown, right?
    I'm far from an expert, but I believe you're correct. Any of the electric start models already have a voltage regulator/rectifier to give you DC power. You also have the battery to provide you with a nice steady, clean voltage, even at low RPM.

I don't know if the headlight housing is the same or not, so I can't help you on that part.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by C-lab View Post
    What kind of regulator/rectifier did you use for yours? The one I have for the 300EX has 5 wires. 3 yellows from the stator, then power and ground out to the battery. I'm hoping the ground wire you recommended will allow me to use the 300EX setup that I already have. If not, I'll grab one like you used since it is a tested theory for the 200X..
    I used a Tympanium. I've had good luck with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYMPANIUM-SI...BUxSBd&vxp=mtr

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171012_183112.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	246988

Name:	IMG_20171010_181714.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	246987

Name:	IMG_20171012_185519.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	246989

This is what I came up with using this thread as a starting point

--
    I put an LED floodlamp on my beat up 250es but my install is not very good I just mounted it as fast as possible basically just found a thing that was in the middle and drilled a hole in and my switches didn't work right as my high low switch turned the power on and off (wiring was a mess). Not pretty but works good.

Name:	image3 (1).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	246990

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //