//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: michigan orv trails ride reports with video

--
    Ha Ha Ma Deters, cool, I had friends that rented a house in Luzerne and he took us on dune buggy ride to Deters and showed me the trail heads, but I never launched rode from or to Luzerne before.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Ambrose lake michigan 5/16/2015

Ambrose lake state forest campground is a great place to camp. Big lake, hiking trails and not far from the town of rose city and west branch. Campground allows riding to trailhead. Trailhead and parking is about 300 yards from campground. The ambrose lake trail is 7 miles. Fun trail. Not whooped out, has some nice banked turns. A really fun straight whoop section is a blast to open the throttle and get it. Great trail for night ride.
    This trail has orv routes that lead to rose city and ogemaw orv trails. You can also get to the meadows orv trail. Some seasonal roads can also lead you to other towns. Clear lake is close and the bar has a great pizza and a nice lake to swim in. Riding on the side of paved roads is also allowed(check laws accordingly, some are off limits) Ambrose lake is a great place to stay with all the other riding spots that are easily accessed. A great place to plan a out of town trip.

trail connector from ambrose lake to ogemaw hills orv
    https://youtu.be/UD4lPavpw9g
    Last edited by ctk; 06-20-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    Chris

--
    Wow, time for some updates. In the next few days ill be posting ride reports with video links. I went on some really great rides this year. For the people who have never rode michigan orv trails............your really missing out. Make the trips this year to some of our group rides. For the people who ride michigan orv trails feel free to post up your thoughts,comments on the trail systems for others who have not and our thinking about making the trip.
    Chris

--
    Here is the link to our annual baldwin birthday ride. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-Birthday-ride

Baldwin Mi orv trails review.

Tincup orv review

First trail we rode was Tincup. I think we rode 20-25 miles that day. Tin cup is a nice scenic trail. Mostly flat, wide and smooth. This is a great cruising trail or fun to really stretch your trikes legs out and go fast. Tin cup has nice trail markers and is easy to follow. Ive ridden this trail on a 1981 honda atc 110 and my 1986 350x, both are fun. Tin cup is a great trail for beginners due to the easy riding conditions but experienced riders can still have lots of fun. No gas stations but also no need to bring gas because trail is short.
    https://youtu.be/ouWQxwthGBU

Little O orv review
    Little O is awesome! This might be my favorite trail. Tight trails, great berms, some whoops, wide trails in spots, good elevation changes. Good trail markers make this trail easy to follow. We ended up at club 37 for lunch. I would bring gas because this trail is long and I can't confirm any gas stations. This is a great trail for people who really wanna go fast. A slow pace ride can also be lots of fun. I would highly recommend this trail to everybody. Doesn't matter if you live close or far away, you will not be disappointed.

https://youtu.be/bf6euYbf7jE

Lincoln hills orv
    Another great trail. Nice mix of terrian. Lots of great scenery. Beginners to experts will have fun.

video link soon to come.

Little manistee orv
    Great scenic trail. Wide trails, easy riding. Beginners to experts will enjoy. There is a gas station/liquor/food mart on this trail.
    video link soon to come.
    Last edited by ctk; 10-21-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    Chris

--
    Neat thread, I live just south of Gladwin and the trails are full of whoops. The "scramble" area is where grim hill used to be long ago, but they took the hill down to build up the dirt roads from my understanding. The sand there is super loose, you need at least a 250 to really have any fun there, and the area is kind of small. A 250 2 stroke or a 350x is ideal. Sand is very ruff. Generally the trails are pretty dusty, but seems like every time I have gone there is a good wind that keeps you from being choked out. DNR wise, I have only seen them there once in 6+ trips there, each trip I spend the full day there, and the DNR truck was just driving down the road. Not suggesting anything, just stating the fact DNR isn't there that much, so help isn't really around, and enforcement isn't either. There are wider flatter trails north of M66 (i think that was the road), but most of the trail there seems like a normal dirt road with small turns here and there.

There are some nice trails south of the area, all the way to my house basically, but sadly they are not dedicated ORV trails, but they *might* be counted as forest trails. Midland county now allows ATVs on the roads and based on my understanding a road permit allows a 3 wheeler on the roads too and the law states they are allowed on forest trails too. Problem is, the wording is such crap it can be taken in several ways and county laws fight state laws in their wording. *IF* it is legal for 3 wheelers to be on forest trails, and *IF* the trails by my house are counted as forest trails, then there are a ton of non-dedicated "forest" trails to ride on that are mostly flat, fairly wide, mostly wet sandy with spots of light mud (most areas you can drive around the mud). I stopped going out there in the state land since I'm unsure if it is legal for me to do so or not. From my understanding, a truck with an orv sticker can drive the same trails all day long no problem and likely do tons more damage than any atv would.

--
    I disliked Gladwin and the whoops so much I vowed never to go back. Also there were people there getting tickets for what I can only guess was riding on the fire road. But you had to in order to get around water and connect to the trail. Well I wasnt going to stop and ask, we just GTFO and never went back. The laws have changed since then but the whoops and poor conditions of Gladwin surely have not. I can't recommend it to anyone. No video needed.

Oh and I always wondered where the Grim Hill of Gladwin was. I thought it was the hill they covered with boulders off that fire road north of the parking lot right by the DNR writing people tickets. Kinda like the mounds of the Mt Morris Mounds. I looked at old aerial photos and a map someone made and tried to treasure hunt it one day. They of course had to close that fun part too.

And thanks to CTK for the videos, I liked to watch them and really made me wish I could ride or could have went to Tin Cup.

One of my Favorites is still Black Lake. Ambrose is ok then rose city is some of the best too !

And Ma Deters in Luzerne burned down, not sure if it being rebuilt.
    Last edited by nd4speed; 10-27-2015 at 11:36 PM.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Yea Gladwin isn't anything super special, but is nice to have some different trails for once, I ride mostly at my mom/dad's place, great trails there, and a good mix of stuff including hills to jump, but that isn't state land .

The grim hill details I don't know exact details of since I'm pretty young, I'm just going off from stories I heard. My uncle said the road used to be so sandy his old Chevette would barely make it floored. The grim hill went out into the road too based on his story. From my understanding, only people with built up machines were able to make it up grim hill, sand rails and such.

I almost always try to go up during the week days, so maybe the DNR is there a lot more often on the weekends. I know most of the riders I meet on the trail ride like jerks, skinny trail and a machine with no reverse and the guy drove over my rear tire before I had a chance to do anything about the situation. I also met a guy up there years ago that had a 3 wheeler (200 big red I think) and he was cool and down to earth.

--
    If I lived right by Gladwin trails, I would ride there and more often, even if I didnt like it. I have to use the mounds for test and tune and just to get out because it is the closest and cheapest. It is not big and mostly a swamp for mud boggers. They have done a lot of nice work to it with the main roads and obstacle courses over the last few years but it still is what it is. Everyone's opinion of a good ride can have a lot of factors.

One can reason the DNR are out most and writing tickets when it is busy with the most potential to generate revenue- holidays and weekends.

Clearly state local and federal enforcers now work for "for profit corporations" and follow policy to generate operating revenue to please their corporate overlords and use seizures laws at will to please themselves. The seizure court cases are actually against the property not you so you can be innocent of any crime. The property was used or was going to be used in the future to commit a crime. So they could say "you did not ride your 3 wheeler on a fire lane illegally, but I believe (opinion not fact) the 3 wheeler is going to be used illegally on a fire road in the future by someone to harvest drugs". Then the court case reads "State of Michigan vs one 1986 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 drug mule". How on earth does one fight in court against the accusation of future crimes that have not happened yet? You can't and you lose because that's how the game is designed.

Police when they pull you over are now asking (per policy) if you "are carrying any large sums of money on you or in your vehicle?"
    I saw a video of that and the guy said he a couple grand on him cause he was traveling and the cop's reaction was "No normal person carries that much money around", and I believe that is drug money basically. WTF. Then you realize that most money in circulation has traces of drugs on it and that fighting "City/State/USA vs $2000 US dollars" is impossible to fight (within a reasonable amount of time and money) and they rob you. Some believe this tactic is also to brainwash people into the fear of using cash to push forth the cashless digital money society for total taxable control. And you wont get a jury of your peers, because if you explain this common sense to 12 common people, they might probably agree with you.
    Last edited by nd4speed; 10-28-2015 at 06:37 AM.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Didn't know it was getting that bad, but knew they operated for profit like 90% of the government. The large sum of money thing I haven't heard of myself but I do carry cash on me most of the time as I hate using plastic and all the tracking that goes along with it.

Grim hill (what we call the Gladwin trails locally) isn't a bad spot to camp, but never been there on the weekend due to the "type" of rider I seem to run into the most while there. Just to compare, I might have seen 1, maybe 2 people I didn't agree with at trike fest vs 100s, but haspin is a long drive, so once a year .

--

--
    Ogemaw hills orv 5-2016

Rode the entire trail on my honda 250sx. WOW!!!!! Amazing trail.. Every kind of terrain. Sand, dirt, rocks, roots, and mud. Slow technical spots, some nice open flat sections, tight turns with berms, fun whoop sections. One of the best look out spots I've ever seen. I will say while riding this trail i wish I was on my 350x, then minutes later Id say I'm glad I'm on my 250sx. This trail is worth riding multiple times on different atc's. Im really looking forward riding ogemaw hills on my 350x. Guys/gals you need to ride this trail. Plan a vacation around this trail and ambrose lake, rose city area, you will NOT be disappointed. Last thing is Mr and Mrs. Tapper.......thanks for the great ride!!!

video soon to come
    Last edited by ctk; 06-20-2016 at 09:11 PM.
    Chris

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ctk View Post
    Ogemaw hills orv 5-2016

Rode the entire trail on my honda 250sx. WOW!!!!! Amazing trail.. Every kind of terrain. Sand, dirt, rocks, roots, and mud. Slow technical spots, some nice open flat sections, tight turns with berms, fun whoop sections. One of the best look out spots I've ever seen. I will say while riding this trail i wish I was on my 350x, then minutes later Id say I'm glad I'm on my 250sx. This trail is worth riding multiple times on different atc's. Im really looking forward riding ogemaw hills on my 350x. Guys/gals you need to ride this trail. Plan a vacation around this trail and ambrose lake, rose city area, you will NOT be disappointed. Last thing is Mr and Mrs. Tapper.......thanks for the great ride!!!

video soon to come
    Yes I have to agree that trail was a lot of fun! Its to bad they are logging in the area, really takes away from the trail system. We covered a lot of ground that day!
    It was a pleasure to ride with you, as always...
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

--
    Time for some more video links and trail updates.

M-20 to Big O Trail, Motorcycle & MCCCT & White Cloud Loop Newaygo County, Michigan..

The M-20 to Big O Trail MCCT has a ATV/Motorcycle shared straight section and a loop. The shared trail(12 miles) is called White Cloud Loop. This review and video link is for White Cloud Loop.
    October 2016. Nice warn weather but had rained a couple days before. This is a low land and will hold water longer than all the other trails in this area. Trail is mostly sand, with some small rocks scattered every so often. Smooth terrain not much worry for cutting tires because of rocks or tree roots. Due to the rain earlier that week this trail was flooded out pretty bad. Hop on your sport trike and rock out. This trail has lots of high banked berms and some great whoops. I can't wait to go back when the trail is dry on my 350x.

video link...https://youtu.be/cxrpE3ljTPY

https://youtu.be/5egqx4hxHj4 i need to fix the sound on this video
    Last edited by ctk; 11-17-2016 at 08:32 PM.
    Chris

--
    Tincup orv trail Lake County Michigan

2016 Parking lot was under construction and was temporarily moved about a mile down the road. This lot is still connected to the trail does not affect the loop. Tincup really is a fun trail. Great mix of whoops, berms, flat straights and flat turns. Ive ridden this trail on 110-350 cc motors and had fun all trikes.

video link... https://youtu.be/qgSyNPJuGgI
    Chris

--
    Lincoln hills orv route and Little Manistee Motorcycle Trail & Route. These orv routes are open to all vehicles. Dirtbikes all the way to full size trucks. Two way traffic. Be cautious. Wide open throttle or booze cruisin are the only two speeds. Couple of bridges and a unbelievable look out are mandatory stops. Gas station and liquor store and state camprounds are directly on the trail. Lake county Michigan has some great trails and many types of fantastic places to camp or rent hotels.

https://youtu.be/gdrasT_Bxes

one of the many video links for these trails.
    Chris

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //