//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: michigan orv trails ride reports with video

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

michigan orv trails ride reports with video

I wanted to start this tread as a ride report with video for the michigan orv trail system. My other goal is to showcase atc videos. My channel on www.youtube.com My name on youtube is red rider. Check out my videos and subscribe. I have lots of video and I am still learning the whole edit and host videos so bare with me. As i get videos edited and hosted properly I will stream line this thread. Thanks

Michigan orv trails are great. I see people asking about them with the intent to plan trips from very far distances. I want to be desscriptive of the weather and date. Feel free to ask questions and comment or show video. This is my first attempt at gopro video footage and learning how to correctly shoot and edit video.
    First report will be for Gladwin, michigan
    Last edited by ctk; 10-14-2015 at 03:14 PM.
    Chris

--
    Gladwin, michigan 4/12/2015
    gps cordinates for the trail head parking lot. N43.97814 W84.20822

70* sunny and a nice breeze. The week before was 50-62* the week before with low temps of 30-45* at night. Rained almost everyday that week.

I thought the trails would be muddy but were 95% dry. Trail is all sand. Was not dusty. For anybody who has rode in rose city, gladwin is not dusty like rose city. Must be a different type of sand or had enough water to keep dust down. No rocks and no roots sticking out of the sides of trails. Trails are almost all whoops. Good sized whoops. Not a trail for a casual ride. This trail is geared to a fast paced whoop style. WHOOPS and tight bermed turns. Although there are some nice side trails to play and explore. Some water and good nature areas to explore from foot and or atc. Dirt county roads run through the trail with is convenient if you have a breakdown. Gladdwin is a good and bad area for a beginner. Good is plenty of short cuts due to county roads. Bad is vey whooped out. There is a scramble area at the south most point of the trail. I did not enter the scramble area, so no report. That being said, I would not drive more than one hour to go here. Cool to ride once but not worth a long drive.

https://youtu.be/8f5ikbuFqlg
    Last edited by ctk; 06-04-2015 at 03:37 PM.
    Chris

--
    I don't see any video link Chris
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

--
    I have to learn how to edit my videos. Sigh..... Ill post vids soon. I got video from buddy hill, rose city rides and my infamous baldwin ride/ tow, plus gladwin.... Sigh....
    Chris

--
    Time for another ride report. I'm heading up to frederic michigan to ride this weekend. Trail report and video to follow. I'll have videos up end of next week. I learned how to edit. I will also have a YouTube channel link.
    Chris

--
    I really dislike Gladwin because of the whooped out miles of trails and for that reason I stopped going there all together years ago.
    Last edited by nd4speed; 10-27-2015 at 11:29 PM.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Frederic Michigan
    55* sunny some clouds and light wind. This was a great trail. Basically divided into a North and South loop. Tight and technical trail. My opinion not a trail for 2 strokes. I don't think I ever hit 4th gear on my 350x except for the road entering/exiting trail head. There are some seasonal roads we also road that I could open up 6th gear. There are plenty of side trails and seasonal roads to explore. Gas station and food is available on trail also. I can not stress how well this trail is marked. Orv signs, food/gas, direction arrows, all labeled if you are going clockwise or counter clockwise. When going counter clockwise on the south loop about 3/4 of the way thru they are doing some serious logging. Trees were dropped right across the trail. An alternate route is marked with orv signs, flags and spray paint. Ive never rode a trail like that and was a blast. They went as far as cutting trails out of laid trees, marking both sides with signs and signs even nailed to trees only 6 inches tall. Great job by the dnr. Best way I could describe the trail was like different boards/levels from a video game. One section would be normal woods, then next section would be a birch tree forest, then bam nothing but pines. Then all of a sudden you would be in a open area. Great scenery. Trail was well maintained. Just enough whoops for some fun but not enough to get old. Lots of tight turns, some off camber spots. The 50 inch or less rule applies here. 200x,250sx,350x perfect bikes for this trail. Lots of sand and sections of dirt. I will go back to this trail again. I really enjoyed the ride. This trail also has connector routes to many other orv trails. 4 state forest campgrounds are less than a mile from the trailhead. We stayed at goose creek which does NOT allow any type of orv riding. You must trailer in/out of campground. This is due to the huge horse area where people camp and tie up the horses. Not a big deal it is a 5 minute drive to trailhead. Great trail, I would plan a long trip to come here and ride and camp.

https://youtu.be/8lwOfoWB7As
    Last edited by ctk; 10-29-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    Chris

--
    Does any of the state campgrounds let you ride to the trail head?
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper190 View Post
    Dave,

There is one that I know of, but it is located near Onaway, MI. Clear Lake State Park is the name. You can ride from the campground to the trails. There are a lot of trails in that area. The only problem is that it is located so far north. It is in the lower peninsular, but still a long ways north.

LLoyd
    85 Big Red
    83 Big Red
    84 125m
    85 TRX 125
    73 ATC 70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper190 View Post
    manistee river bridge shows orv allowed.
    Chris

--
    Bundy Hill Michigan.
    Off road park in jerome michigan. Bundy hill WAS a cool park. Ive went every year since they opened. This year 2015 Ive not went since they NO longer allow three wheelers. I would recommend bundy hill for dirt bikes, quads and jeeps. They do allow camping.
    wonder boy posted this info........
    Hey Chris, Bundy allows trikes again as long as you get an insurance policy for your machine. I checked progressive on-line and you can get a policy for a year for under $100.

...and by the way, this is a really cool thread. I think as time goes by and more info gets added, this thread can be a good reference point for all the cool trails in Michigan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoRjgU8LgWY
    Last edited by ctk; 05-07-2015 at 04:31 AM.
    Chris

--
    Thanks for this thread Chris, We have good friends with a cottage near Traverse City, Could be a good reason to take the machines up there……………even a two stroke

Ross..
    My Rides
    1985 250R original (Garage Queen)
    -under restoration

1985 250R black and blue full rebuild ( Daily Rider)
    -Paul Turner pipe
    -+2" Westcoast

1985 Red and White Tecat-EH Sold

1985 Green Tecate Sold

My Wife's Ride
    -2003 Suzuki LTZ 400 Showroom fresh and completely stock

My Kids Ride
    -2004 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock
    -2006 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock

--
    Hey Chris, Bundy allows trikes again as long as you get an insurance policy for your machine. I checked progressive on-line and you can get a policy for a year for under $100.

...and by the way, this is a really cool thread. I think as time goes by and more info gets added, this thread can be a good reference point for all the cool trails in Michigan.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    You can camp around Gladwin but uughh. It's Gladwin.

You can camp and ride into Mount Morriis Mounds from the Genesee Co Park grounds. Small swampy park for red neck mud boggers and jeeps. They did add some 4x4 obstacle course stuff which is nice. My test and tune area. It's ok. Lots of mud to sink your self into. Most of park is closed off March 15 - May 15. They really raised the fees there too!

Near Onaway...Black Lake is was one of my favorite places to go when my friends mom had a cabin there. There is camping right on the lake, right at the trail with restaurant and gas on site. And another I think, maybe Clear Lake?? But ,yeah, your are like 15 minutes from the Bridge that far north.

Atlanta has nice groomed wide mostly flat trails and is super awesome for snowmobiling. But I got a ticket there once, my only one ever, and that sucked. There are some fun hilly areas parallel to 33, where you can get tickets. Pretty big place. Wish I had spent more time exploring there on atv, mostly snowmobiling. Should be camping around Tomahawk lakes.

You can camp and ride at St Helen. It is Richfield campground near East Airport. Just try not to venture into Ogemaw Co. unless on the one ORV trail. LOL. Almost a ticket but DNR guy burnt his hand checking for SA in my friends blown out silencer. No holding pen = no ticket.

MIO around Bull Gap and Rose City are by far my favorite places to go. Ogemaw Sport and Trail Center has a motocross track and campground. Who knows you may even get to ride with Travis Pastrana since he has been there in the past.
    http://www.ogemawtrails.com/
    Now I dont think you can camp at Bull Gap but Mio changed the laws so you can ride into town, right past the police station of course, but this means essentially it is possible to ride from a hotel in town.

I am trying to remember the one camp ground we parked by was either clear lake or by rose city...cant remember.
    I think it was Ambrose Lake near another Clear lake, may be why I am getting them confused. Not one of my favorite places but you can camp there.

Anyway if you visit Michigan DNR and look at all the PDF trail maps they will show the camp grounds and trails. Most of them probably have camping somewhere.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...8330--,00.html
    Last edited by nd4speed; 05-06-2015 at 12:00 AM.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Rose City Michigan
    Not much to say about rose city except its freaking rad!!!!!! Rose city area is great. All types of riding, exploring, and a great area to start and branch off to other trails/towns. Definitely a place to travel to from long distances. You will not be disappointed. Here is a video link from Ma deters lodge in luzerne mi to rose city.
    http://youtu.be/mfFQldjMNOE
    *Bad news* Ma Deters recently burned to the ground and no longer exist.

Rose city orv loop
    This is a blast to ride. One of my favorite trails. Nice trail length to ride once of do some laps. Tight, berms, elevation changes, some great whoop sections, rocks, couple of flat spots to open the throttle, and plenty of sand. This trail can be very dusty. Trail markers are not great but have been improving over the years. No gas station on this loop. A must ride trail. This video link is from the 10th anniversary sandpuppi ride. R.I.P Roger. Im riding a 250sx and is the group leaving from the waffle house right to the trail. Guys you need to make the annual sandpuppi memorial ride!
    https://youtu.be/jG86P3hJaxI
    Last edited by ctk; 10-14-2015 at 03:32 PM.
    Chris

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //