//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Anyone know much about an 1982 Suzuki GS650GL?

jfaulkner02 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Anyone know much about an 1982 Suzuki GS650GL?

I recently acquired one of these and just starting out riding as well. Wanting to learn what I can about this bike and riding in general. So far, I have taken it on a couple 15-20 minutes rides around town. I know its an oldie, but its comfy and I like it.

--
    Excellent! I had a standard version of that bike for years - GS650GT. Was my primary commuter for 6 years.

They have all the good and bad points of all the Suzuki GS series. Handle great and stone axe reliable but need to keep an eye on stators and voltage regulators.

If the pipes and intake are stock, they're jetted "EPA lean" and get great mileage.

That bike is 35 years old now. Check all the rubber - brake lines, fuel lines, etc.

Use good tires. Dunlop, Metzler, Avon. They cost a little more but are worth every penny.

Check out GS resources - more than everything you ever wanted to know about these bikes. http://www.thegsresources.com/

Have fun. Be safe.

jfaulkner02 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I actually was given the bike by my brother in law. Both brand new tires, carbs all rebuilt and synced, and the bike is actually in pretty good shape. He also repainted it. I will see if I can post a picture. Havent posted on this site since I sold all of my trike stuff a couple of years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG2972.jpg  

--
    Excellent - can't beat the price! I miss mine.

--
    Nope, you sure cant. I cannot wait until we get consistently nice weather, so I can put some more miles on it. Thanks for the information.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    Excellent! I had a standard version of that bike for years - GS650GT. Was my primary commuter for 6 years.

They have all the good and bad points of all the Suzuki GS series. Handle great and stone axe reliable but need to keep an eye on stators and voltage regulators.

If the pipes and intake are stock, they're jetted "EPA lean" and get great mileage.

That bike is 35 years old now. Check all the rubber - brake lines, fuel lines, etc.

Use good tires. Dunlop, Metzler, Avon. They cost a little more but are worth every penny.

Check out GS resources - more than everything you ever wanted to know about these bikes. http://www.thegsresources.com/

Have fun. Be safe.
    All of the above and X 2 on the electronics. Watch the battery fluid level, when it starts going low it's time to look at the charging system. Good news is that there are a few places selling replacement parts now at a decent price. Before the internet I saw guys pay over $300 for a used regulator/rectifier. On side of the battery box (on the 1100's) there is a gizmo that controls your spark. If the battery is overcharging and leaking it gets doused with acid and will leave you stranded. Make sure yours (if it is there) is clean before you ride into the sunset. If your stock ignition or coils go look for Dyna replacement parts.

I'd change out the fork oil and check the rear shocks. Odds are they are sacked. You can ride it like that if you want (way too many people do), but a fresh set of aftermarket shocks would make it handle better than new. I'd also change the brake fluid if it's not crystal clear.

Enjoy!
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //