//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tecate CDI Recreation - For Sale

--

Tecate CDI Recreation - For Sale

After replacing every single component in my ignition system, I've come to the conclusion that both of my CDI's are duds. These are the only parts that are not brand new. Everything is extra clean (wire brushed all contact points for clean grounds). I've ran dedicated ground wires from the stator to the coil to the frame. to the engine. The only thing i get is an ultra weak spark. Almost not visible unless it's in the shade.

I've been researching CDI's and CDI schematics. So far, these should be very easy to recreate.. Under 1 condition. You can disassemble these without destroying them. Kawasaki encased these in a very hard resin. It'll soften up when heated, but get extra hard again once it cools.

I've torn 1 of mine apart to review and analyse it. It's similar to the schematics for other AC-CDI's. These are AC charged and triggered CDI's.

I've ordered parts to make and experiment with AC-CDI's. Parts are cheap

I'd like to ask for you guys to tear down your dead Tecate CDI's or send them to me to tear them down. If we can get a schematic of them, we can rebuild them.

What I've found in my CDI so far(may be more):
    3 film based capacitors. 3 different sizes. - destroyed markings while disassembling.
    1 transistor
    2 diodes
    1 zener diode
    1 resistor
    1 SCR made by NEC - cant read model
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 06-14-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    i make capacitors for a living....can you post pics of them i maybe able to work out what they are....if you have a weak spark its a very good chance its the caps...
    Need Honda ATC TRX NOS restoration parts??? or come check out our ATC brochure site
    www.offroadvintage.com

--
    Negative. They have been destroyed taking this resin off. Before I figured out heat, i was breaking chunks off. It took the casing of the caps with it. Leaving just the film insides. The only 1 i was able to see thesideof was the biggested. IT looked like this. http://www.mojotone.com/Orange-Drops-thumb.png. unfortunately, the orange coating broke off. It left a blue inner coating on the inside of if.
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261762847770...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I dare you to find and try one of these. Would be great to know if it worked,

this 1986 KX125 CDI looks to have a nearly identical wiring layout as the Tecate. Now a CDI is just a capacitor to hold charge until it is triggered to discharge. I suck with electrical stuff and wonder what on the T3 is the trigger coil? If the trigger coil is part of the stator plate and flywheel the then CDI has nothing to do with timing the spark. And if that is the case a 1986 KX125 CDI may work. Another question is there a difference in output in Joules or millijoules or whatever it would be.

The wire colors and connectors look to be the same 1984-1986 KX125 #21119-1195
    I am comparing the pictures to a 21119-1074 I have in front of me.

NOS: $199

Here's some great CDI info:
    http://www.jr-richscooterdoc.com/Hel..._explained.pdf

THE MORE I READ THE MORE THIS SOUNDS LIKE A BAD IDEA BECAUSE THE CDI CIRCUITS CONTROL THE SPARK CURVE BUT NOT TIMING?
    I am confused and wish I knew more, but this is probably why the part numbers are different.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    The trigger coil is the small coil above the source coil. Its placement and lower voltage output is about the only thing to do with timing.

The source coil send high voltage and stores it in a cap, typically 1uf to 1.5uf. The trigger coil activates an SCR thyristor which let's the cap dump its stored power into the ignition coil.

The time it takes to store the power in the 1uf cap can determine top end ignition timing. There's another cap that helps determine the lower rpm timing.

Most ac-cdi's will probably interchange.

In the case of the tecate,you could use the source coil as a trigger coil. The downfall is it's harder to control the voltage. The source coil on some machines can push 300+ volts. The trigger will push 5-12 volts.

Based on this theory, I should be able to use a yt175, or a blaster cdi.

--
    The CDI box is the only part in the equation that is suspect. Plenty of new stators, flywheels and coils out there....just no new CDI boxes.

That would be awesome if you could reproduce these.
    "You should never smoke in pajamas..
    You might start a fire and burn your face..
    Maybe you should return to Manaugua..
    You could go un-noticed in such a place"

FZ

Ass,gas or grass....nobody rides for free!

Ride free,Brotha. See you in Heaven.

--
    1uf to 1.5uf seems a lot @300V i very much doubt you could get a 1uf in the cdi box if it is a plastic film cap?? has anyone got a broken down cdi?? i have a X-ray machine in work just for this problem....
    Need Honda ATC TRX NOS restoration parts??? or come check out our ATC brochure site
    www.offroadvintage.com

--
    My first CDI - i should have taken pictures... Had a 3 film caps. 1 just as big as the one in the 2nd CDI. Had a transistor, a scr - unreadable, numorus resistors and diodes. a zener diode.

I got my 2nd CDI apart. It had KX 125 and KX250 written on the back of it. I took tons of pics as it came apart.

The biggest cap was orange. I wasn't able to locate any writing on it It was huge in comparison to everything.

Heres some pics of this CDI!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_025252.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	214942 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_025301.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	214943 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_025313.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	214944 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_033243.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	214945 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_040102.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	214946 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_040141.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	214947 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_041058.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	214948 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150423_044930.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	214949

Parts i have found so far on this CDI:
    SCR f2r5g - 4 Amps at 400V
    SCR for2b - 100V .08 amps (nte5402 equivalent)
    4 film caps - Massive red, 31mm x 10mm x 20mm , Medium green (under orange), 2 small green.
    Multiple resistors, 7+
    Multiple diodes, 4+
    1 zener Diode
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 04-23-2015 at 06:42 AM.

--
    yep your right it is pretty big..its a plastic metallized cap.......i'm going to open a honda CDI when i get home see what the value of caps are in there.....i know not the same but will give me a idea
    www.offroadvintage.com

--
    John is going to send me another CDI to dis discombobulate.

Tomorrow, I'll make a rough schematic for this and try to fill in the blanks.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSalt View Post

cool that would be good...
    www.offroadvintage.com

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSalt View Post

I'd more than happy to test drive a prototype cdi box when you get one built.
    "You should never smoke in pajamas..
    You might start a fire and burn your face..
    Maybe you should return to Manaugua..
    You could go un-noticed in such a place"

FZ

Ass,gas or grass....nobody rides for free!

Ride free,Brotha. See you in Heaven.

--
    Last edited by nd4speed; 04-23-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    i think i think the one you tore apart was a -1010
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	215003
    NOS $199 1974-81 KX125
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-KAWASAKI...610f6a&vxp=mtr
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    I think your right. I ran to the local electronic store and grabbed a couple of part. I'm going to take a stab at a prototype tonight or tomorrow night.
    Mail is to slow lol.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //