//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Tecate CDI Recreation - For Sale

--
    I can recommend some easy to use encapsulation resins when you're ready

--
    Check these links out- I found them a while back when researching CDI box schematics. They both are for KDX cdi's but would surely get you in the ballpark.

http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/CDI.html

http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/KDXCDI.html
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Already read through all of his stuff. Looks like good work, and it definitely points you in the right direction.

I also agree with Jeswinehart. Encapsulation resin. Kawasaki didn't do this just to be mean, they did this to keep any and all things out of the cdi. Moisture mostly. A few hundred volts and you add some rain water...

You can bake a CDI in an oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes if you think moisture may be in it. From my reading, this method may work.

I'm starting on a schematic now.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Wow, those are great links.
    I need to read that about 10 times before I will ever understand it, but great info.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    This is one thing (Much like expansion chambers) that has always sort of been a black arts type knowledge, so I find this discussion and research you guys are all doing veeeerrry interesting

--
    I've got most of the schematic drawn up for that kx125/250 cdi I took apart. I don't know the cap values. The scr is to old to find a data sheet on so I can't confirm the pin out. I'll be analyzing it more this evening. It should follow the pattern as to what pin is what.

On a side note. I laid out components to build an ac-cdi. Tonight I'm soldering them together for a test
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    What is the SCR part number? I saw in a previous post two you mentioned: F2R5G and F0R2B. Was it one of those you are looking for?
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    F2R5G. I found the other. The F2R5G is the main 1.

--
    So i use to use a tecate 4 stator. And it only has 2 coils. not 3. Would this be a better setup useing less wires?
    The Green No More Red EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate
    1984 KXT 250 Tecate Parts machine
    1985 KXT 250 Tecate My vintage racer
    1983 KX 250
    Proud member of
    3wheelerworld.com
    3wheeler.org
    Planettrike.com
    Airfoolers.com
    http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=80907

--
    The goal is to recreate the cdi.

If the tecate 4 has 2 coils.. That means the kdx schematic I found should work.

To clearify* I haven't seen a tecate 4 stator. Is it just a single coil on the stator, no trigger/pickup coils?
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 06-14-2016 at 02:38 PM.

tecaterob is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Man I wish I can help but I SUCK WITH ELECTRICAL....
    3 86 Tecate 3
    1 87 tecate 3 (with kx 540 motor)
    1 87 tecate 4 (with 330 motor, 250r geometry)
    1 83 atc 70
    1 Kfx 50
    1 kfx 400 ( with 470 parting out bike)
    1 78 KZ 1000 ( with 1340 turbo)
    1 Aprilia SXV 550 Supermoto
    1 01 ZRX 1200 prostreet (sold)

--
    you just gave me a headache guys. tanks :P
    LOL

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    I got the cdi built, but untested. I forgot which wire goes to the high voltage, which to the signal and which to ground on the stator lol.

Its been a busy weekend, I'll be checking it against my spare stator tomorrow, solder the wires in place and then test it.

I got the CDI from John. I confirmed the part number. Its an 84-85 cdi... Now to pull it apart without running the components. Ongoing to test more solvents. Maybe PVC solvent?
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 06-14-2016 at 02:39 PM.

--
    I performed a couple of test last night. One had expected results. The other was a good sign.

Kx80 cdi from 79-80 gave a really nice hot spark. Everything plugged right in except the coil. The kx80 has a round end on the coil wire while the tecate has the flat. Other than that, awesome. I didn't test run it do to the lack of a sun.

My home made, dt125 replica gave me the odd results. Its kind of what I expected. I was able to get a good hot spark.. Twice.

With the engine cranking, it's not producing/storing enough voltage to create a spark before being discharged. With the tecate having 4 magnets passing that trigger coil every rpm, we can assume that it will have 4 sparks per rev unless controlled.

With the home made cdi version 1.0, it was discharging the cap with a low voltage. By disconnecting the trigger coil from the cdi, it would charge the cap. Reconnecting it and cranking the engine over allowed it to fire.

The issue here is it is either firing to frequently, or not creating enough juice. This can be remedied with more windings on the source coil... But I want a plug and play solution to replace the OEM Cdi.

Tonight, I'm going to start disassembly of the CDI donated by john. It'll take a long time, but I'm not rushing it.

--
    The CDI that is headed your way is an '86 CDI. OEM part# 21119-1074.

Just so we're all on the same page...the '84 and the '86 carry the same CDI part #. The '85 is different. OEM # 21119-1166. What's the difference?
    I ain't got a flippin' clue.

Let me know when it arrives.

Rog'
    "You should never smoke in pajamas..
    You might start a fire and burn your face..
    Maybe you should return to Manaugua..
    You could go un-noticed in such a place"

FZ

Ass,gas or grass....nobody rides for free!

Ride free,Brotha. See you in Heaven.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //