//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Tecate CDI Recreation - For Sale

--
    Interesting, I thought the 85 would have been the same! The CDI John provided is also a 21119-1074. Looks like this is going to be the one to model. I'm really glad I'll have 2 of the same units to dissect. It'll be more of a guarantee when they come apart.

The 85 probably has different caps/resistors to adjust the timing curve. I found a thread on an adjustable CDI.
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 04-29-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: autocorrect.. :-D
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    One of the problems that I fear.. I won't be able to read the labels on the capacitors.

So I ordered a capacitor tester that measures actual capacitance. Problem solved.
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    I had one of those ideas again. Something john may know the answer to.

Before I ask the question, I'll explain why I'm asking.

The home made cdi only fired after disconnecting the trigger coil and cranking the engine to charge the cap. The homemade cdi also uses a diode on the pickup wire. The current induced by the magnetic pole of the magnets will determine which way the electronics flow. If you have 4 magnets all south poles facing the stator, you would technically have a pulsed DC signal.

If you have 4 magnets, 3 of them have south poles facing the stator, and the last with a North pole, then you would have 3 pulses one way, and 1 pulse the other. A opposite signal that could trip the trigger coil.

The question is, are all the magnets the same or is 1 different.

Logic says the same.

My next theory is the cap is only receive half the power. Looking at the schematic I used, it blocks half of the power used to charge the cap. A bridge will fix this. It'll convert all electricity to flow in 1 direction. This will hurt voltage a hair, but double the caps electrical storage.

I'm still trying to think of the best method for tearing apart these CDIs
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 04-30-2015 at 12:36 PM.

--
    I haven't had much time with this lately, my uncle passed away Tuesday. But I wanted to update this with a couple of picks of John's CDI. If anyone has any ideas how to get the black stuff off with out completely destroying the PCB, I'm all ears.

Its very hard and very brittle. When heated, it gets kind of rubber, when it cools back down it gets very hard again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150430_193255.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	215496 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150430_195045.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	215497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150430_195120.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	215498

--
    The Tecate flywheels have 2 north and 2 south poles. Each north pole has a north pole directly across from the other north pole.
    Same with the south poled magnets, 1 directly across from the other one.
    I believe it was Pete that sent me a link on how to remove the Rev limiter connection inside a cdi. In the link it showed in detail how the fellow dealt with the encapsulation material but I don't recall nor did I do it.
    I imagine heat is going to be your only option. Perhaps keep a hand torch lit and exact knife heated often with gentle cuts imo.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150501_144606.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	215503
    My lunch break.

--

Maybe a picture

I think I have a picture stored in this phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150419_063321.jpg  

--
    whats the plan for a case after you figure the board?

--
    Not sure yet. Plastic is cheap and typically sturdy. Works for other oem. If I could find an inexpensive quality metal case, that would be nice.

I'm honestly concerned about the connectors and quality wire. I want to find OEM equivalent wire for this and my stators I wind. Trying to find connectors to fit OEM is going to be tricky too.

Eventually I'll have a 3d printer... Damned kicker starter is slooooow lol.

--
    http://www.vintageconnections.com/
    http://cycleterminal.com/

To encapsulate your part use this stuff available thru hobby lobby or order direct. Very easy to use. http://www.alumilite.com/store/p/934...ing-Resin.aspx

PM me when you get to that point so I can call you on how to make a mold box for your part.
    Last edited by jeswinehart; 05-01-2015 at 09:05 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSalt View Post
    Not sure yet. Plastic is cheap and typically sturdy. Works for other oem. If I could find an inexpensive quality metal case, that would be nice.

I'm honestly concerned about the connectors and quality wire. I want to find OEM equivalent wire for this and my stators I wind. Trying to find connectors to fit OEM is going to be tricky too.

Eventually I'll have a 3d printer... Damned kicker starter is slooooow lol.
    the connectors are easy, parts unlimited sells them. I'm pretty sure they have the right one,if not they are just bullet connector stuff into rubber. mold the rubber part and buy the connectors.

--
    That's plan b if I cant find them. Ricky stator used junk bullet connectors and a crappy fitting. It all slid around. If I mold them, I'm gluing the connectors into the rubber lol

After this episode of House, I'm going to work more on dissecting it.

The PCB looks like the first 1 I pulled apart.

*Edit - My capacitor meter came in today. I've been playing with recycled caps I've pulled off components. Found a bad 1 >.<

--
    The big cap is 1uf
    medium say ?2?473 partial reading. measured at 49.3 nf
    The smallest cap read at 106nf. This could be a false reading though. The leads broke off the cap as it came out. I used safety pins to make contact back to were they are supposed to go. This cap is 1/2 the size of the medium one.

SCR is nec 3s4m.
    Small SCR said p115.
    6 Resistors. 120, 20, 20, 3M, 47, 97
    Diodes. 303t?
    Zener diode. 1 - Broke in half, no reading.
    Caps. 1uf, 49nf, 100nf
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 05-02-2015 at 12:45 PM.

--
    How about using the famous Altoid's box for the inexpensive case. There are all of people that appreciate what you are doing and you will get it figured out no matter what! Where are the 1980's Japanese engineers to chime in?

--
    Send out CDI's with a bag of complimentary mints? lol

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //